NoteTab Pro Drag and drop

  • Brother Gabriel-Marie
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 14 8:28 AM
      NoteTab Pro Drag and drop

      Well, I should have stated that properly. NoteTab Pro won't drag and
      drop text into *another* application. It works fine *within* NoteTab
      Pro; that is, you can drag from within NoteTab Pro to within NoteTab
      Pro. But you can't drag text from another application (not even
      NoteTabLight) into NoteTab Pro. Now, NoteTabLight works fine: you can
      drag to and from NoteTabLight into other applications, just not NoteTab
      Pro. So, NoteTab Pro does not support drag-n-drop to or from other
      applications, but NoteTabLight does. (And I know the fault is not in
      PowerPro, because I did all this testing with PowerPro turned off).

      Could we have this for NoteTab Pro too?

      Thanks!

      Posted by: "Sheri" silvermoonwoman@... silvermoonwoman2001
      Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:12 pm (PDT)

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Brother Gabriel-Marie <brgabriel@...> wrote:

      > Hello all!
      >
      > I am using NoteTabLight as a scratch pad from which I wish to
      > drag and drop text. But when I double-click a word that I want to
      > drag and then let up and then start to drag (like in other
      > applications) then NoteTab wants to keep selecting text. It
      > doesn't happen every time, and I know there is a trick to it to
      > make it work right every time, but it would be much easier if I
      > could turn it off.
      >
      > And NoteTab Pro doesn't seem to support drag and drop!

      Drag and drop of text works for me, in Pro and Light. I just select the
      text I want, then click in that text and drag it to the new destination.

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 15 9:56 AM
        Brother Gabriel-Marie (brgabriel@...) wrote (in part) (on
        2009-07-14 at 11:28):
        > Well, I should have stated that properly. NoteTab Pro won't drag and
        > drop text into *another* application. It works fine *within* NoteTab
        > Pro; that is, you can drag from within NoteTab Pro to within NoteTab
        > Pro. But you can't drag text from another application (not even
        > NoteTabLight) into NoteTab Pro. Now, NoteTabLight works fine: you can
        > drag to and from NoteTabLight into other applications, just not
        > NoteTab
        > Pro. So, NoteTab Pro does not support drag-n-drop to or from other
        > applications, but NoteTabLight does. (And I know the fault is not in
        > PowerPro, because I did all this testing with PowerPro turned off).
        >
        > Could we have this for NoteTab Pro too?

        Notetab Light and Standard use one input control (which supports drag
        and drop between applications) while Notetab Pro uses another. The
        Notetab Pro input control offers other advantages which the Notetab
        Light and Standard's do not.

        btw: If using Second Window feature in Light or Standard drag+drop works
        between them whereas it does not in Notetab Pro.

        So ... short answer is "Can't be done" w/o total rewrite of Notetab Pro
        (of greater complexity than the change from Notetab 4.x to Notetab 5).

        If you look at the Help-Comparison chart between "flavors" of Notetab
        you'll see that Notetab Light and Standard have much in common. I hadn't
        looked at it recently and noticed with some surprise that drag+drop
        isn't one of the rows in that table. That feature is the one feature
        that occasionally motivates me to open my copy of Notetab Light. The
        other substantial difference, Variable width fonts, isn't something that
        bothers me - YMMV :-)

      • Brother Gabriel-Marie
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 16 6:25 PM
          Okay, I understand. I was trying to configure one of the Notepad "flavours"
          to be a suitable notepad replacement. My conclusion was that it just
          won't work.
          Instead I am forced to use Metapad or Notepad2.
          Reasons:
          NoteTab Pro won't drag-n-drop to and from other applications, and
          NoteTabLight only has ONE undo! If NoteTabLight supported multiple
          undos, it would be the winner.

          I understand what you mean about not being able to put drag-n-drop
          into NoteTab Pro. NTP is very powerful, and I love it for that.

          NoteTabLight is versatile, but the undo-limit is crippling.

          Oh well. Much thanks and grats to the makers!

          God bless.
          - Brother Gabriel-Marie

          Re: NoteTab Pro Drag and drop
          Posted by: "Alec Burgess" buralex@... alecb3ca
          Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:57 am (PDT)

          Brother Gabriel-Marie (brgabriel@...) wrote (in part) (on
          2009-07-14 at 11:28):
          > Well, I should have stated that properly. NoteTab Pro won't drag and
          > drop text into *another* application. It works fine *within* NoteTab
          > Pro; that is, you can drag from within NoteTab Pro to within NoteTab
          > Pro. But you can't drag text from another application (not even
          > NoteTabLight) into NoteTab Pro. Now, NoteTabLight works fine: you can
          > drag to and from NoteTabLight into other applications, just not
          > NoteTab
          > Pro. So, NoteTab Pro does not support drag-n-drop to or from other
          > applications, but NoteTabLight does. (And I know the fault is not in
          > PowerPro, because I did all this testing with PowerPro turned off).
          >
          > Could we have this for NoteTab Pro too?

          Notetab Light and Standard use one input control (which supports drag
          and drop between applications) while Notetab Pro uses another. The
          Notetab Pro input control offers other advantages which the Notetab
          Light and Standard's do not.

          btw: If using Second Window feature in Light or Standard drag+drop works
          between them whereas it does not in Notetab Pro.

          So ... short answer is "Can't be done" w/o total rewrite of Notetab Pro
          (of greater complexity than the change from Notetab 4.x to Notetab 5).

          If you look at the Help-Comparison chart between "flavors" of Notetab
          you'll see that Notetab Light and Standard have much in common. I hadn't
          looked at it recently and noticed with some surprise that drag+drop
          isn't one of the rows in that table. That feature is the one feature
          that occasionally motivates me to open my copy of Notetab Light. The
          other substantial difference, Variable width fonts, isn't something that
          bothers me - YMMV :-)

        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 19 9:50 AM
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Brother Gabriel-Marie <brgabriel@...> wrote:

            > Okay, I understand. I was trying to configure one of the Notepad
            > "flavours" to be a suitable notepad replacement. My conclusion
            > was that it just won't work.
            > Instead I am forced to use Metapad or Notepad2.
            > Reasons:
            > NoteTab Pro won't drag-n-drop to and from other applications, and
            > NoteTabLight only has ONE undo! If NoteTabLight supported multiple
            > undos, it would be the winner.
            >
            > I understand what you mean about not being able to put drag-n-drop
            > into NoteTab Pro. NTP is very powerful, and I love it for that.
            >
            > NoteTabLight is versatile, but the undo-limit is crippling.
            >
            > Oh well. Much thanks and grats to the makers!
            >
            > God bless.
            > - Brother Gabriel-Marie

            Ask me about undo limits on the Powerpro list.

            Regards,
            Sheri