Close all with a No Save

  • Bill Mosca
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 23, 2009
      If anyone is taking requests for new features, I'd love to be able to close all open files with a Save/No Save option. Right now I have to say "No" to each file if I close NoteTab while several files are open.

      Bill Mosca
    • David Smart
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 23, 2009
        Agreed. This is a general lack, not just in NT. A "save none" would be a
        good addition to all programs that offer "save all".

        Regards, Dave S

        > If anyone is taking requests for new features, I'd love to be able to
        > close all open files with a Save/No Save option. Right now I have to say
        > "No" to each file if I close NoteTab while several files are open.
        >
        > Bill Mosca

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 23, 2009
          Bill Mosca (wrmosca@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-06-23 at
          18:23):

          > If anyone is taking requests for new features, I'd love to be able to
          > close all open files with a Save/No Save option. Right now I have to
          > say "No" to each file if I close NoteTab while several files are open.

          Bill, Dave: Great minds think alike :-)

          I use these three clips to do almost exactly what you request:
          H="Close ONE - Discard"
          ^!Close DISCARD

          H="Close ALL - Discard"
          ^!Close ALL,DISCARD

          H="Discard ALL+Exit"
          ^!Close ALL,DISCARD
          ^!Menu File/Exit

          If you are using Pro or Standard you can put these on your most
          frequently open clip bar.
          For what its worth I put mine on at the right side of a clipbar which
          contains the contents of Sheri's clip_Syntax and clip_GEsHI bars.
          (Clipbars not available in Notetab Light).

          Added at the end of the clipbar.ctb are these lines:
          "ambPerm","Close ONE - Discard","11"
          "ambPerm","Close ALL - Discard","12"
          "ambPerm","Discard ALL+Exit","91"

          where ambPerm is the name of the clip library in which I store the above
          clips. 11, 12, 91 are the numbers of the Notetab standard icons I
          somewhat arbitrarily chose to represent the above three actions.

          I've cc'd this to the clips list ... pls reply there if questions or
          assistance needed to implement the above.

        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 23, 2009
            until you click on it by mistake ... you can do it with a simple clip ...

            ^!Continue Are you positive?^%NL%THIS DISCARDS ALL CHANGED FILES WITHOUT
            SAVING
            ^!Close All,Discard

            Sheri, please note that there is a mistake in clipcode syntax as the
            Close command requires a comma between the options, but you don't insert
            one. First mistake I have ever found in your incredibly helpful
            clipcode syntax clipbar.

            David Smart wrote:
            > Agreed. This is a general lack, not just in NT. A "save none" would be a
            > good addition to all programs that offer "save all".
            >
            > Regards, Dave S

          • rosemary.culley
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 24, 2009
              Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

              > until you click on it by mistake ... you can do it with a simple clip ...
              >
              > ^!Continue Are you positive?^%NL% THIS DISCARDS ALL CHANGED FILES WITHOUT
              > SAVING
              > ^!Close All,Discard
              >
              > Sheri, please note that there is a mistake in clipcode syntax as the
              > Close command requires a comma between the options, but you don't insert
              > one. First mistake I have ever found in your incredibly helpful
              > clipcode syntax clipbar.
              >
              > David Smart wrote:
              > > Agreed. This is a general lack, not just in NT. A "save none" would
              > be a
              > > good addition to all programs that offer "save all".
              > >
              > > Regards, Dave S

              Can Tidy be used for the latest version of NotePad. I could not find it
              to reinstall...

              Many thanks
            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 24, 2009
                Hi Rosemary,

                > Can Tidy be used for the latest version of NotePad. I could not find it
                > to reinstall...

                Not with Notepad, but with NoteTab :) Yes, the latest Tidy version runs
                fine with the latest NoteTab version. You can download HTML Tidy from
                this page:

                http://www.notetab.com/tools.php

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/
              • rosemary.culley
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 24, 2009
                  Eric Fookes wrote:

                  > Hi Rosemary,
                  >
                  > > Can Tidy be used for the latest version of NotePad. I could not find it
                  > > to reinstall...
                  >
                  > Not with Notepad, but with NoteTab :) Yes, the latest Tidy version runs
                  > fine with the latest NoteTab version. You can download HTML Tidy from
                  > this page:
                  >
                  > http://www.notetab com/tools. php <http://www.notetab.com/tools.php>
                  >
                  > --
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Eric Fookes
                  > http://www.fookes com/ <http://www.fookes.com/>

                  Wonderful! Thank you very much!
                • Marcelo Bastos
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 24, 2009
                    Interviewed by CNN on 24/6/2009 04:18, rosemary.culley told the world:

                    > Can Tidy be used for the latest version of NotePad. I could not find it
                    > to reinstall...

                    Main site:
                    http://tidy.sourceforge.net
                    Download latest version for Windows:
                    http://www.paehl.com/open_source/?HTML_Tidy_for_Windows

                    Yes, it works with recent versions of NoteTab, Notetab Lite and Notetab Pro. (But not Windows Notepad, as Eric noted).

                    Marcelo

                    -=-=-
                    If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
                    * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.16
                  • Praising Jesus
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 26, 2009
                      When you do a Ctrl+D (Search | Search Disk) and the resulting list pops up,
                      is there a way to copy that list or save it to disk. It appears I can only
                      select a file to open, but I can't capture the output in any way.

                      ---Mike

                    • loro
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 26, 2009
                        Praising Jesus wrote:
                        >When you do a Ctrl+D (Search | Search Disk) and the resulting list pops up,
                        >is there a way to copy that list or save it to disk. It appears I can only
                        >select a file to open, but I can't capture the output in any way.

                        The search result is automatically saved to file called "Search
                        Disk.fvr", located in the Favorites folder. You can just open it as a
                        normal document or access it through the Favorites menu. If you want
                        to keep it for later you should rename it, because it will be
                        overwritten the next time you do a disk search. The renamed file will
                        show up in favorites too.

                        Lotta
                      • Jeff
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 26, 2009
                          Check the archives by searching Scismgenie. In my old computer I had a
                          clip developed by the list members (Jody I think, god rest him) which
                          sent the results window out to the shell, and then retrived it as a
                          text page, BUT there are other utilities NOW available that capture any
                          window box display. (I don't have any installed now, but have in the
                          past as well).

                          Jeff

                          Praising Jesus wrote:
                          > When you do a Ctrl+D (Search | Search Disk) and the resulting list pops up,
                          > is there a way to copy that list or save it to disk. It appears I can only
                          > select a file to open, but I can't capture the output in any way.
                          >

                          > ---Mike

                          Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                          Flockmaster,

                          http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/

                          http://bsmeadow.blogspot.com/ Blacksheep's Meadow

                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/7764576@N05/ Photostream
                        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 26, 2009
                            Pretty sure I used copyText for this purpose. The .fvr file is news to me!

                            Jeff wrote:
                            > Check the archives by searching Scismgenie. In my old computer I had a
                            > clip developed by the list members (Jody I think, god rest him) which
                            > sent the results window out to the shell, and then retrived it as a
                            > text page, BUT there are other utilities NOW available that capture any
                            > window box display. (I don't have any installed now, but have in the
                            > past as well).
                            >
                            > Jeff
                            >
                            > Praising Jesus wrote:
                            >> When you do a Ctrl+D (Search | Search Disk) and the resulting list pops up,
                            >> is there a way to copy that list or save it to disk. It appears I can only
                            >> select a file to open, but I can't capture the output in any way.
                            >>

                            >> ---Mike

                          • loro
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 26, 2009
                              Don wrote:
                              >Pretty sure I used copyText for this purpose. The .fvr file is news to me!

                              Since 4.86. I think Eric added it because of all the discussions
                              about how to capture the result.

                              Lotta
                            • Jeff
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 27, 2009
                                loro wrote:
                                > Don wrote:
                                >
                                >> Pretty sure I used copyText for this purpose. The .fvr file is news to me!
                                >>

                                > Since 4.86. I think Eric added it because of all the discussions
                                > about how to capture the result.
                                >
                                > Lotta

                                Its really nice that he listens and acts. Most software writers would
                                'think' about adding a feature, then maybe in a far future version.

                                Jeff
                              • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 27, 2009
                                  Obviously some of the high end users missed the advance in the program :-)

                                  See threads

                                  and

                                  Perhaps the bottom of that alert window should say, these results saved
                                  to: favorites.fvr or whatever it is? Great new addition ... maybe I'll

                                  Jeff wrote:

                                  > loro wrote:
                                  >> Don wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >>> Pretty sure I used copyText for this purpose. The .fvr file is news to me!
                                  >>>
                                  >> Since 4.86. I think Eric added it because of all the discussions
                                  >> about how to capture the result.
                                  >>
                                  >> Lotta
                                  >>

                                  > Its really nice that he listens and acts. Most software writers would
                                  > 'think' about adding a feature, then maybe in a far future version.
                                  >
                                  > Jeff

                                • Sheri
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 27, 2009
                                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

                                    > Obviously some of the high end users missed the advance in the
                                    > program :-)

                                    Hi Don,

                                    The contents of Search Disk.fvr is incomplete except when the search returned 65 or fewer files.

                                    Regards,
                                    Sheri
                                  • loro
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 27, 2009
                                      Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                                      >Obviously some of the high end users missed the advance in the program :-)

                                      There are limitations. I have forgotten what they are, but a certain
                                      number of lines, max nn characters or something like that.

                                      Lotta
                                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 27, 2009
                                        Oh that changes everything. I had hundreds of files in my project.
                                        Maybe I did know about it the more I think about it ... and it was
                                        limited. For every useless thing you learn you forget one useful thing.
                                        Must have learned too many useless things that week :-)

                                        Sheri wrote:
                                        > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
                                        >> Obviously some of the high end users missed the advance in the
                                        >> program :-)
                                        >
                                        > Hi Don,
                                        >
                                        > The contents of Search Disk.fvr is incomplete except when the search returned 65 or fewer files.
                                        >
                                        > Regards,
                                        > Sheri

                                      • loro
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 27, 2009
                                          Don wrote:
                                          >Oh that changes everything. I had hundreds of files in my project.

                                          Yeah, I should have mentioned that from the start, sorry. Sheri, you
                                          beat me to it, thanks.

                                          Still, with this limitation in mind, this feature is still good for
                                          the average search.

                                          Lotta
                                        • Praising Jesus
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 27, 2009
                                            Unfortunately, no such file exists on my machine. I'm using Windows Vista
                                            Ultimate on a 64 bit machine and running NoteTabPro 6.12. Does any of that
                                            make a difference?

                                            --Mike

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 27, 2009
                                              Wow, talk about a sad note. I didn't even know Jody had passed. I just went
                                              through the archives and saw he died in 2007. Jody and I go back a long way
                                              to working on Dr. Peter Ruckman's church maybe 12-15 years ago. I guess I
                                              need to keep up more. Nice fellow, had throat cancer years ago and had a
                                              tracheotomy. Was that the cancer that finally got him?

                                              ---Mike

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 27, 2009
                                                Praising Jesus wrote:
                                                >Unfortunately, no such file exists on my machine. I'm using Windows Vista
                                                >Ultimate on a 64 bit machine and running NoteTabPro 6.12. Does any of that
                                                >make a difference?

                                                Do you keep the support files in Application Data instead of in
                                                Notetab's folder maybe?

                                                Lotta
                                              • loro
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 27, 2009
                                                  Praising Jesus wrote:
                                                  >Wow, talk about a sad note. I didn't even know Jody had passed. I just went
                                                  >through the archives and saw he died in 2007. Jody and I go back a long way
                                                  >to working on Dr. Peter Ruckman's church maybe 12-15 years ago. I guess I
                                                  >need to keep up more. Nice fellow, had throat cancer years ago and had a
                                                  >tracheotomy. Was that the cancer that finally got him?

                                                  Yes, cancer. I don't know if it was the old one that came back. You
                                                  can read Eric's posts here.

                                                  Funny how things are. I didn't know Jody personally and God knows we
                                                  often disagreed - but never about Notetab. I still miss him and think
                                                  about him quite often.

                                                  Lotta
                                                • Julie
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jun 27, 2009
                                                    Same here, Lotta. He'd go the extra mile around here for folks. I
                                                    would like to have met him in person.

                                                    Julie

                                                    At 6/27/2009 07:31 PM, loro wrote:

                                                    >Funny how things are. I didn't know Jody personally and God knows we
                                                    >often disagreed - but never about Notetab. I still miss him and think
                                                    >about him quite often.
                                                    >
                                                    >Lotta
                                                  • Praising Jesus
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jul 1 8:10 AM
                                                      I don't "keep" them anywhere - they go wherever they go by default. Is there
                                                      a configurable option where they should be saved? I have tried Google
                                                      Desktop, Windows Search and Windows Search Companion and the file doesn't
                                                      seem to reside on my hard drive.

                                                      ---Mike

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jul 1 9:00 AM
                                                        Praising Jesus wrote:
                                                        >I don't "keep" them anywhere - they go wherever they go by default. Is there
                                                        >a configurable option where they should be saved? I have tried Google
                                                        >Desktop, Windows Search and Windows Search Companion and the file doesn't
                                                        >seem to reside on my hard drive.

                                                        Then I think everything should be in Application Data. Do you find
                                                        the favorites folder there? It should be something like
                                                        C:\Documents and Settings\YOU\Application Data\Notetab Pro\Favorites\

                                                        Do you use Light by any chance? I just tried with Light and I can't
                                                        find "Search Disk.fvr" either. I thought this was supported by all
                                                        versions, but maybe it isn't. Anyone else knows?

                                                        Lotta
                                                      • Praising Jesus
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jul 1 9:33 AM
                                                          Well, that was some help - I found it - a little more obscure:

                                                          J:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro\Favorites

                                                          Now I have to figure out why none of the desktop search engines found it ;-)

                                                          Thank you. Now you folks say this is limited to files with less than 65
                                                          items, correct?

                                                          ---Mike

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jul 1 1:08 PM
                                                            Praising Jesus (1611kjb@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-07-01 at
                                                            12:33):

                                                            > Well, that was some help - I found it - a little more obscure:
                                                            >
                                                            > J:\Users\Mike\
                                                            >
                                                            > AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro\Favorites
                                                            >
                                                            > Now I have to figure out why none of the desktop search engines found
                                                            > it ;-)

                                                            Earlier ...
                                                            > I don't "keep" them anywhere - they go wherever they go by default. Is
                                                            > there
                                                            > a configurable option where they should be saved? I have tried Google
                                                            > Desktop, Windows Search and Windows Search Companion and the file doesn't
                                                            > seem to reside on my hard drive.
                                                            <Aside> I suggest (free) Everything http://www.voidtools.com/ - it won't
                                                            do context indexing but indexes file names instantly (on the fly as they
                                                            are as added/deleted) and can be used as a pseudo-explorer (you can
                                                            drag-drop or right-click drag-drop to another folder in Windows Explorer
                                                            (or even one that Everything itself is displaying which also meets its
                                                            current filter conditions) and with full right-click access to normal
                                                            Explorer context menu. For example - if you rename a file in Windows
                                                            Explorer and have it visible in Everything you can see its name change
                                                            instantly.

                                                            If nothing else you should be able to use it to resolve issues wrt to
                                                            which files your other indexers see. (In options-exclude you can if
                                                            desired exclude certain devices/folders etc and include/exclude hidden
                                                            and system files. </Aside>
                                                            > Thank you. Now you folks say this is limited to files with less than 65
                                                            > items, correct?

                                                            Can't help you there but if Lotta and others says it you can probably
                                                            put it in the bank :-)

                                                          • Praising Jesus
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Jul 3 7:05 AM
                                                              That's perfect! I've been looking for such a too, since WindowsXP came out.
                                                              Thank you.

                                                              --Mike

                                                              > Well, that was some help - I found it - a little more obscure:
                                                              >
                                                              > J:\Users\Mike\
                                                              >
                                                              > AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro\Favorites
                                                              >
                                                              > Now I have to figure out why none of the desktop search engines found
                                                              > it ;-)

                                                              Earlier ...