Suggested new features

  • jmaples1
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 21, 2009
      Mainly becasue I could get no confirmation that my on-website email to the management had been sent, I am posting here with apologies if this is not the right forum:
      "A version for PDAs. I use my PDA a great deal for making notes which I need to synch with my laptop and also for reading long articles which I have captured from the internet on my laptop and put on my PDA. The PDA (a Dell Axim 51v running Windows Mobile 5) is as powerful in terms of processor and memory as they get at the moment. However, altho it runs Word 2007 well, the files do not open and close nearly as fast as text files which is pretty fatal if you want to make a quick note on the hoof or dip in and out of long articles book marking where one has got to. I have done considerable research into txt programs for PDAs/mobiles and found none which are better than using the txt facility in Word 2007. However that does mean having Word open and taking up valuable memory space and, most annoyingly requires me to first close the keyboard and decline to save in Word format every time I close a txt file. So why not a Note Tab for PDAs/mobiles. I have used Note Tab Lite on my laptop for very many years purely for reading and writing txt files. It is excellent and I greatly welcomed the tab function when it came in. Apart from files synched with my PDA, I greatly value its speed of access for making quick notes of e.g. telephone conversations and generally. It is also, as you say, "rock solid". I should also mention that there is, I think, a market for selling pure text files as ToDo lists - which is what I use them for. As you will know, many complex PIM software is sold, all of which seems to make the process unnecessarily complicated if one used a simple text file properly, going through it regularly, deleting and promoting items using the cut & paste facilities, and using the search facility to find items. This is not a market which it would seem from your website that you are trying to reach."
    • Marcelo Bastos
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 21, 2009
        As long as we are talking about possible improvements...

        A small one I would like is an (optional) change in the behaviour of the
        "word wrap" feature. Right now, it breaks lines not only on whitespace
        but also in a few other characters, such as hyphens.

        The problem with that is, if you are doing coding instead of text
        writing, and you use the "split lines" command, you end up with an
        whitespace (a line break) where there was none before. I ran into this
        problem in some HTML pages which called other objects with hyphens in
        their names.
        "img-001.jpg" is valid syntax,
        "img-
        001.jpg" (note the line break) is not.

        I have practical reason to switching between
        word-wrapped/non-word-wrapped while debugging HTML. It's annoying that I
        have to include special coding in my clips to look for those problems
        and fix them beforehand.

        So... an option to word wrap ONLY on whitespace would be quite nice.

        Marcelo

        -=-=-
        Indiana was just the name of the dog!
        * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.16
      • Bill Mosca
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 23, 2009
          Marcello

          don't the orphaned hyphens correct themselves when you turn the word wrap off? If they were right in the first place they should revert back.

          Bill Mosca

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 23, 2009
            Interviewed by CNN on 23/6/2009 19:21, Bill Mosca told the world:
            > Marcello
            >
            > don't the orphaned hyphens correct themselves when you turn the word wrap off? If they were right in the first place they should revert back.

            IF I was using only the automatic word wrap, sure. But if I use "split
            lines", it introduces a whitespace where there wasn't one.

            Let me elaborate why this ends up being an issue (a small one, but
            still...) to me...

            I use NoteTab + HTML Tidy a lot to debug (X)HTML and make it Strict.
            The procedure I refined eventually goes like this:

            - Load file into NoteTab
            - Run Tidy (Ctrl-F7)
            - Check Tidy error log for trouble spots
            - Reload file (that is, the pre-Tidy version)
            - Jump (Ctrl-Shift-L) to trouble spots, find the problems and fix it.
            - Rinse and repeat until Tidy gives as clean a bill of health as it's
            possible.
            - THEN bother with a validator.

            Seems straightforward on surface... but there is a hitch: long lines in
            the original.
            NoteTab counts lines *as displayed*, and Tidy counts them as actual
            line-breaks. So, a long paragraph with no hard line breaks counts as
            *one* line for Tidy and maybe *ten* for Notetab. Horizontal scrolling is
            a drag, so I end up having to turn on the word-wrap after jumping to the
            offending line in order to be able to edit it, then turning it off again
            to jump to the next error and so on...
            And, of course, if it's a REALLY long line, finding the error inside it
            becomes harder.

            So the best option is to insert hard line breaks before starting. Using
            the "split lines", though, inserts breaks (that is, whitespace for HTML
            purposes) in undesired places. So I end up having *more* stuff to debug.
            The ones that break file names are pretty easy -- but I also end up with
            spaces inside compound names, which are ugly. I had to write a special
            clip just to do the line-wrapping thing -- it breaks the lines then goes
            back searching for lines ending in an hyphen. It fixes *most* of the
            introduced errors, but not *all* of them -- sometimes it will take out a
            space that *was* there in the original, for instance.

            Inserting errors and then trying to fix them automatically is far from
            ideal; best thing is not inserting them in the first place.

            I guess I'll end up giving up on the "split lines" feature and writing
            my own line-splitter clip from scratch...

            Marcelo

            -=-=-
            O.K to continue?? <yes> <no> <MAYBE?>
            * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.16