Version 6.1 new version install file ?

  • chilli_palmer@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2009
      When I recently upgraded from 4.95 to 6.1, I was given a download link for this 3.2mb NoteProFull_Setup_610.exe install.

      Then once installed, in Help menu it checked for updates, and I downloaded another 1.8 MB version called ntp61_Setup.exe

      It did not say that I was up to date, so I downloaded the smaller file. Is there any reason/downside to installing this? If it is unnecessary, why is it a smaller size, and why do they sort of suggest by making it available for download that it should be installed?

      Thanks
    • Eric Fookes
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2009
        Hi,

        > When I recently upgraded from 4.95 to 6.1, I was given a download
        > link for this 3.2mb NoteProFull_Setup_610.exe install.

        This retail package includes the spell-checker dictionaries and
        thesaurus files.

        > Then once installed, in Help menu it checked for updates, and I
        > downloaded another 1.8 MB version called ntp61_Setup.exe

        This update package is smaller because it does not include the
        spell-checker dictionaries and thesaurus files. If you no longer have
        those files, you can always download them again from the NoteTab Web site.

        > It did not say that I was up to date, so I downloaded the smaller
        > file. Is there any reason/downside to installing this? If it is
        > unnecessary, why is it a smaller size, and why do they sort of
        > suggest by making it available for download that it should be
        > installed?

        The ntp61_Setup.exe package contains a slipstream update that fixes
        issues in the version installed by NoteProFull_Setup_610.exe.

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/
      • chilli_palmer@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2009

          > Hi,
          >
          > > When I recently upgraded from 4.95 to 6.1, I was given a download
          > > link for this 3.2mb NoteProFull_Setup_610.exe install.
          >
          > This retail package includes the spell-checker dictionaries and
          > thesaurus files.
          >
          > > Then once installed, in Help menu it checked for updates, and I
          > > downloaded another 1.8 MB version called ntp61_Setup.exe
          >
          > This update package is smaller because it does not include the
          > spell-checker dictionaries and thesaurus files. If you no longer have
          > those files, you can always download them again from the NoteTab Web site.
          >
          > > It did not say that I was up to date, so I downloaded the smaller
          > > file. Is there any reason/downside to installing this? If it is
          > > unnecessary, why is it a smaller size, and why do they sort of
          > > suggest by making it available for download that it should be
          > > installed?
          >
          > The ntp61_Setup.exe package contains a slipstream update that fixes
          > issues in the version installed by NoteProFull_Setup_610.exe.

          Eric, so then I should always install the smaller packages? I just did after reading this, but it still gives me the same message in Help to check for updates, then the listing to download it again.

          Let me ask my question this way, and I would think it would save you bandwidth...Is there any way to know for sure that you are up to date after checking for updates in Help offers you to redownload? If you don't have that feature, maybe you could have the update check results report back a last change revision of the same version? Even if I right-click on that smaller ntp61_Setup.exe file, all the "Property" menus say it is only 6.1 (no indication of a new 6.1.1 or build number).

          Thanks, and have loved using Notetab for as many years as I can remember.

          > Regards,
          >
          > Eric Fookes
          > http://www.fookes.com/

        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 8, 2009
            Hi Chilli - the key word in Eric's response was "slipstream".
            see: http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Slipstream+(computing)
            <http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Slipstream+%28computing%29>

            Eric (and other software developers) sometimes do this when they
            discover a problem or bug with a recent release (usually within hours -
            or at most days) and want to avoid the hassle of incrementing version
            number, updating documentation etc. etc. etc. Instead they just put a
            new "fixed" version on their download server so that after time-X anyone
            who downloads gets the newest "correct" version. As a result, anyone who
            got the original "incorrect" version before time-X has to redownload.

            You've done this, but unless you do a binary compare of the first and
            second "versions" of Notetab 6.1 you won't detect any difference and
            there isn't any in About screen or in Properties. You are up to date
            unless/until Eric releases a Notetab 6.2.

            Different developers have different practices wrt to minor-minor version
            numbers but my experience in the las 6 years with Notetab is that he
            never "releases" a minor-minor version change.

            ie. there was Notetab 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5 then 6.0 and now 6.1
            but there will never be a 6.1.1

            Downside of this practice is that if you were fast off the mark and
            downloaded between time-Y (initial release) and time-X (corrected
            release) unless you read about it on a user-forum etc., you may never
            find out about the slipstream release ... then again if lucky you might
            never notice. Hopefully most of the people who fell into the time-X -
            time-Y crack also belong to this forum and have already got the correction.

            chilli_palmer@... (chilli_palmer@...) wrote (in
            part) (on 2009-06-09 at 00:01):

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 8, 2009
              OK, that answers everything I wondered about, and I did not have a good understanding of slipstreaming. Thank you very much.

              If I'm a typical representative, I don't think most users would know about this update policy, since most programs either autoupdate, auto-check for updates, or if it works don't mess with it.

              I think I started using Notetab when it first came out, certainly well before version 4.95 which I used until just a few weeks ago. I probably started using it with Windows 95. I only found out about these groups because of the thoughtful responses to my email for support about searching multiple files for several pieces of text, and have since upgraded happily.