scrolling

  • Brother Gabriel-Marie
    Message 1 of 7 , May 27, 2009
      Hello all!

      Is it possible to provide support in NoteTab Pro so that when I move the
      mouse over the favourites pane or over the cliplibrary pane that it can
      scroll without my having to click on it? I am forever trying to set
      programs like Katmouse and Wizmouse and etc. to do this for me, so it
      would be nice if NoteTab just did it straight out.

      Thanks!
      - Brother Gabriel-Marie
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 7 , May 29, 2009
        Brother Gabriel-Marie (brgabriel@...) wrote (in part) (on
        2009-05-27 at 18:17):
        > Is it possible to provide support in NoteTab Pro so that when I move
        > the
        > mouse over the favourites pane or over the cliplibrary pane that it
        > can
        > scroll without my having to click on it? I am forever trying to set
        > programs like Katmouse and Wizmouse and etc. to do this for me, so it
        > would be nice if NoteTab just did it straight out.

        After re-testing Katmouse and Notetab not much progress to report :-(
        Read the following if interested. If anyone has any other input I like
        to hear it! Testing done in WinXP with Microsoft cordless optical mouse
        and no special mouse drivers.

        Lots of discussion about this over the years in NTB list and NTO list. I
        also found this fragment from an email that Jody sent while we were
        testing the original Notetab 5 beta:
        > Maybe most people started using other mouse helpers like I do now
        > from a tip on the OffTopic list (because of the same problem
        > reported there). I use KatMouse now and all my windows/panes
        > scroll just by pointing at them. I did have to do a special
        > configuration for the Clipbook and QuickList. It tells the name
        > of the window type in the software when I do the configuring,
        I was unable to duplicate Jody's positive results above. Sadly we can no
        longer ask for clarification.

        FWIW: here's how it works for me (using Katmouse) - It ALWAYS scrolls
        the main edit window if mouse is over it and SOMETIMES scrolls the Clip
        list (leftside-F4) and/or QuickList (right-side-F6)

        When I first went to test this (hadn't looked at in a long time) it was
        scrolling both the Clips list and the Main edit window (I don't normally
        have the QuickList open)

        As Jody indicated above I went to Katmouse-Settings-Classes and dragged
        the "drag icon" over first the Cliplist - it was identified as
        TClipbookList, then over QuickList - it was identified as TToolListBox.

        I left settings for both as Default. If you dClick the entry in the
        Katnouse list it opens a Settings popup - the only relevant setting
        appears to be Window has wheel scrolling support? It was initially
        checked, I tried them unchecked too.

        Results

        * when unchecked - Notetab will not auto-scroll either ClipList or
        QuickList.
        * when checked - Notetab autoscrolls both (and of course main
        window) YIPPEE!

        However ... when I closed Notetab and reopened it (with Katmouse open
        the whole time) I was back to "wrong" behavior.

        As near as I can figure when Notetab is first opened and no clicks made
        anywhere in the Notetab window (on my machine it gets auto-focused by
        the X-Mouse option):

        * It aways auto-scroll the main-edit window.
        * Click in EITHER ClipsList or QuickList (it will auto-scroll that
        window AND the main window but NOT the other side window)
        * Click in Main window - it will again scroll ONLY the main window
        not the two side windows.

        Ooops ... I forgot about the Outline pane ... turns out KatMouse
        identifies yet another Class .. this time TTxtListbox.
        In general it seems to be even worse than the other two side panels ...
        I can't get it to auto-scroll even by clicking in it.

        So ... I went back to KatMouse settings and removed all three class
        items ... behavior seems to be the same with or without these class
        records created.

        Note: I no longer use Outlook Express but IIRC it was the only app I've
        ever seen that would auto-scroll all three panels on mouse-hover (ie
        right-side tree view, top item list, bottom display pane).

        Thunderbird with the same basic setup requires KatMouse for
        auto-scrolling in all three. With Katmouse disabled Windows Explorer
        also will only scroll the pane with "focus" (ie. click in address bar
        then neither tree nor list view will scroll until you click in one or
        the other and then only in that but not the other.

        Conclusion: Notetab is no worse than standard applications w/o Katmouse
        and a little bit worse than some applications when Katmouse enabled.

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 7 , May 29, 2009
          Alec Burgess wrote:
          > Brother Gabriel-Marie (brgabriel@...) wrote (in part) (on
          > 2009-05-27 at 18:17):
          >> Is it possible to provide support in NoteTab Pro so that when I move
          >> the
          >> mouse over the favourites pane or over the cliplibrary pane that it
          >> can
          >> scroll without my having to click on it? I am forever trying to set
          >> programs like Katmouse and Wizmouse and etc. to do this for me, so it
          >> would be nice if NoteTab just did it straight out.
          >
          > After re-testing Katmouse and Notetab not much progress to report :-(
          > Read the following if interested. If anyone has any other input I like
          > to hear it! Testing done in WinXP with Microsoft cordless optical mouse
          > and no special mouse drivers.

          > When I first went to test this (hadn't looked at in a long time) it was
          > scrolling both the Clips list and the Main edit window (I don't normally
          > have the QuickList open)
          >
          > As Jody indicated above I went to Katmouse-Settings-Classes and dragged
          > the "drag icon" over first the Cliplist - it was identified as
          > TClipbookList, then over QuickList - it was identified as TToolListBox.

          Brother, Alec,

          After reading this thread I downloaded and installed both Wizmouse and
          Katmouse.

          Running each utility in turn, both worked in NotePro and NoteTab with
          the default install settings.

          Katmouse, in settings, has an applications tab where you can browse for
          and select a particular program/s for Katmouse to work with.

          As I said, both worked for me but, I am using a Logitech wireless mouse
          and drivers. That may be the difference.

          ºvº SL_day# 150 - created 2009.05.30_01.04.39

          If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise.

          € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 7 , May 30, 2009
            hsavage (hsavage@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-05-30 at 02:19):
            > Brother, Alec, After reading this thread I downloaded and installed
            > both Wizmouse and Katmouse. Running each utility in turn, both worked
            > in NotePro and NoteTab with the default install settings. Katmouse,
            > in settings, has an applications tab where you can browse for and
            > select a particular program/s for Katmouse to work with. As I said,
            > both worked for me but, I am using a Logitech wireless mouse and
            > drivers. That may be the difference.

            I had never heard of WizMouse before. I just got it and so-far (20
            minutes use) it seems equal to KatMouse.
            In Notetab it appears superior to KatMouse. ie. all four panes left to
            right ClipList, Outline-topics, Main-edit and QuickList can be scrolled.
            One caveat - I'm seeing the Main-edit window scrolling together with the
            other three panes.

            I can prevent the main-pane "unwanted scroll" by clicking in an entry in
            the pane my mouse is over.

            Brother/HRS - are you seeing the same as me?

            so far it looks like after 6 years of use (I first heard about it on the
            PowerPro list in Feb 2003) its time to retire KatMouse!

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 7 , May 30, 2009
              Alec Burgess wrote:
              > hsavage (hsavage@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-05-30 at 02:19):
              >> Brother, Alec, After reading this thread I downloaded and installed
              >> both Wizmouse and Katmouse. Running each utility in turn, both worked
              >> in NotePro and NoteTab with the default install settings. Katmouse,
              >> in settings, has an applications tab where you can browse for and
              >> select a particular program/s for Katmouse to work with. As I said,
              >> both worked for me but, I am using a Logitech wireless mouse and
              >> drivers. That may be the difference.
              >
              > I had never heard of WizMouse before. I just got it and so-far (20
              > minutes use) it seems equal to KatMouse.
              > In Notetab it appears superior to KatMouse. ie. all four panes left to
              > right ClipList, Outline-topics, Main-edit and QuickList can be scrolled.
              > One caveat - I'm seeing the Main-edit window scrolling together with the
              > other three panes.
              >
              > I can prevent the main-pane "unwanted scroll" by clicking in an entry in
              > the pane my mouse is over.
              >
              > Brother/HRS - are you seeing the same as me?

              Alec,

              I agree, Wizmouse seems more versatile/useful. I don't see the main-edit
              scroll that you mention.

              So far my choice for window scrolling would be Wizmouse.

              ºvº SL_day# 150 - created 2009.05.30_08.39.05

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 10, 2009
                Dear all,

                Sorry to take so long to respond to the group for this topic! I did
                configure KatMouse to handle NoteTab, but it has to "work up to a
                scroll"; that is, it drags a little before it comes to speed. WizMouse
                works better, but stops working after you close NotTab and reopen it
                unless you check the box to use it for windows without scroll support;
                but then you end up scrolling three pages also in Foxit Reader! The
                solution would be for WizMouse to have options like KatMouse to work
                especially on certain windows. Overall, I find that WizMouse works more
                smoothly, but you can't configure it.

                Regards.
                - Brother Gabriel-Marie
              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 10, 2009
                  You might find TweakUI useful for controlling your mouse. You can set it for one page per mouse wheel click. Microsoft's
                  own little toolbag of trick, of which I use several. There is a different tool for Vista.

                  John