Re: [NTB] line spacing

  • Scott Fordin
    Message 1 of 9 , May 27, 2009
      I also like using a text editor for creative writing. That said, I do
      also enjoy using yWriter from spacejock.com and Celtx from celtx.com;
      the former for fiction, the latter for scripts. Both are free, and this
      is the last thing I'll say about them here because this is, after all,
      a Notetab list?

      Scott

      Barbara Weitbrecht wrote:

      > I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers a text editor for creative
      > writing. My fiction-writing tools of choice are NoteTab on Windows and
      > BBEdit on the Mac. Back when I was working on an IBM mainframe, I
      > wrote fiction in XEDIT. (I know -- my nerd credentials are showing.)
      >
      > On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 10:13 AM, killeenjd <jdk5093@...
      > <mailto:jdk5093%40gmail.com>> wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> I don't mean to be rude, but why don't you use the (free) Open Office or
      > >> another word processor for your first drafts?
      > >
      > > Fair question. I have always tried to keep things as simple (and
      > > non-proprietary) as possible. In applying that principle, I have
      > always done
      > > most of my writing in plain text, only exporting material to a word
      > > processor to add formatting (if needed). I think this is just common
      > sense,
      > > and I'm not the only writer to take this approach.
      > >
      > > Your logical follow-up question might be "well, why not use a word
      > processor
      > > and save as ".txt" until the presentational stage?" I love the elegance,
      > > simplicity and speed of a good text editor. The outline feature of
      > NoteTab,
      > > for example, is great for structuring longer pieces, and preferable
      > for me
      > > to any word processor's outline function (although I do wish NoteTab
      > > retained its cursor position within each section of the outline as
      > you move
      > > between them).
      > >
      > > Using NoteTab, I can even use clips to script certain elements of
      > > presentation. And writing a NoteTab clip is generally a lot easier than
      > > scripting a Word macro.
      > >
      > > Shorter answer to your question: I prefer a good text editor -- they're
      > > generally quicker to work with. Maybe it's just habit.
      > >
      > > John
      >
      > --
      > Barbara Weitbrecht
      > sealwyf@... <mailto:sealwyf%40gmail.com>
      > http://www.sealwyf.com <http://www.sealwyf.com>

    • Rod Dav4is
      Message 2 of 9 , May 30, 2009
        Ahh! Fond memory: XEDIT! The best editor ever!
        I particularly liked the /hide/ lines based on some criteria, then edit
        the rest with change all. A most powerful feature!
        -R.

        --
        Regards, Rod Dav4is / P.O. Box 118 / Hyde Park, NY 12538 / USA
        Genealogy, et Cetera: http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dav4is/
        Message 3 of 9 , May 31, 2009
          Ah, you take me back to the days when I used to love "Edlin". Life was simpler and yet faster then...

          Marty

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Rod Dav4is <dav4is@...> wrote:

          > Ahh! Fond memory: XEDIT! The best editor ever!
          > I particularly liked the /hide/ lines based on some criteria, then edit
          > the rest with change all. A most powerful feature!
          > -R.
          >

          > Barbara Weitbrecht wrote:
          > > I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers a text editor for creative
          > > writing. My fiction-writing tools of choice are NoteTab on Windows and
          > > BBEdit on the Mac. Back when I was working on an IBM mainframe, I
          > > wrote fiction in XEDIT. (I know -- my nerd credentials are showing.)

          > >> Fair question. I have always tried to keep things as simple (and
          > >> non-proprietary) as possible. In applying that principle, I have always done
          > >> most of my writing in plain text, only exporting material to a word
          > >> processor to add formatting (if needed). I think this is just common sense,
          > >> and I'm not the only writer to take this approach.
          > >>
          > >> Your logical follow-up question might be "well, why not use a word processor
          > >> and save as ".txt" until the presentational stage?" I love the elegance,
          > >> simplicity and speed of a good text editor. The outline feature of NoteTab,
          > >> for example, is great for structuring longer pieces, and preferable for me
          > >> to any word processor's outline function (although I do wish NoteTab
          > >> retained its cursor position within each section of the outline as you move
          > >> between them).
          > >>
          > >> Using NoteTab, I can even use clips to script certain elements of
          > >> presentation. And writing a NoteTab clip is generally a lot easier than
          > >> scripting a Word macro.
          > >>
          > >> Shorter answer to your question: I prefer a good text editor -- they're
          > >> generally quicker to work with. Maybe it's just habit.
          > >>
          > >> John
          > >>

          > --
          > Regards, Rod Dav4is / P.O. Box 118 / Hyde Park, NY 12538 / USA
          > Genealogy, et Cetera: http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dav4is/
          > 536 ancestral & collateral families, mostly 17°-19° century
          > New England & European roots. Total population: 134,200+
          > Annex: http://www.gencircles.com/users/dav4is/
          > email: DAV4IS@...
          > A people which takes no pride in the achievements of remote
          > ancestors will never achieve anything worthy to be remembered by
          > remote descendants.
          > -Thomas Babington Macaulay

        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 9 , May 31, 2009
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Basiszta" <mbasiszta@...> wrote:

            > Ah, you take me back to the days when I used to love "Edlin".
            > Life was simpler and yet faster then...

            Its still there, in the command environment!

            Never much cared for edlin, but PE2 was dandy.
          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2009
              This list should be used for discussing NoteTab. It's fine to also
              mention third-party products and resources that enhance the NoteTab
              experience. To discuss any other kind of product, please do so on the
              off topic list. Thank you.

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/