Re: [NTB] word wrap doesn't work

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 13 , May 20, 2009
      huh?
      Wordwrap wraps at the width of your window when it is on.

      There is fixed line width under view options of course.

      This is not a word processor, it is a text editor.

      rbreichart wrote:
      > I have been using word processors since 1980, and usually can figure out within a half hour on a new one how to do basic functions like automatic line width -- what "word wrap" really means -- if the program is capable of doing it.
      >
      > So why have I never been able to get word Wrap to work in any version of NoteTab Light, no matter how the "document" settings are set? The answer doesn't appear anywhere I have looked, over the years.
      >
      > In other words, as far as I have been able to see there is no Word Wrap capability in NoteTab, and therefore using it (for example) to edit text downloaded from a website is very frustrating.
      >
      > A good illustration is the fact that when I did "Preview" on the above it no longer was three paragraphs of 4, 3 and 3 lines, but one paragraph of 4 lines, on a "window" running three or four screens off to the right!

    • loro
      Message 2 of 13 , May 20, 2009
        rbreichart wrote:
        >In other words, as far as I have been able to see there is no Word
        >Wrap capability in NoteTab, and therefore using it (for example) to
        >edit text downloaded from a website is very frustrating.

        Go to the Document menu | Properties and hit F1, which brings up the
        Help page about the options found there.

        From Help::
        Wrap to Column
        Words wrap at the specified column. IMPORTANT: using this feature in
        NoteTab Light and Std turns off regular word wrap; column wrap is
        not automatically updated during editing but is applied in saved
        files and when you choose the "Document | Update Column Wrap" menu command.

        Lotta
      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 13 , May 20, 2009
          Hi,

          > So why have I never been able to get word Wrap to work in any version
          > of NoteTab Light, no matter how the "document" settings are set? The
          > answer doesn't appear anywhere I have looked, over the years.

          Did you search the NoteTab Help file for an answer? Or visit the online
          FAQ? I believe you will find the relevant answer just a few paragraphs
          down on the following page:

          http://www.notetab.com/faq.php#using

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/
        • rbreichart
          Message 4 of 13 , May 21, 2009

            > Hi,
            >
            > > So why have I never been able to get word Wrap to work in any version
            > > of NoteTab Light, no matter how the "document" settings are set? The
            > > answer doesn't appear anywhere I have looked, over the years.
            >
            > Did you search the NoteTab Help file for an answer? Or visit the online
            > FAQ? I believe you will find the relevant answer just a few paragraphs
            > down on the following page:
            >

            > --
            > Regards,
            >
            > Eric Fookes
            > http://www.fookes.com/

            Thanks for both help-oriented responses. I would have said "helpful" but after studying them and following up I now understand that NoteTab instructions and help comments are just like much of the other computer instruction I have been faced with for the past four decades. That is, it appears to be written using English vocabulary and syntax, but the actual meaning is deeply unclear and often appears to be motivated by deliberate obfuscation.

            I apologize for using the term "word processor" instead of the more correct "text editor." (I've used as many as a dozen of the latter over the years, from MS's Edlin and DOSedit to Apple's TextEdit, and at least four of the former, from IBM's DWScript to MSWord, so I think I recognize the distinction, if not the difference.) The point of the criticism, however, seems to me to represent the same motivation -- advocating precise technical language not in the interest of enhancing clarity, but to identify the non-techie as an outsider.

            The actual operation of NoteTab's "word wrap" and "wrap to column" functions comes across to me as upside down to any normal expectation. Of course, that may well make then stronger and more efficient when they're used as the designer conceived them. However, after studying the "help" paragraph and experimenting with several different settings on the document I was trying to work with (both on with column=60 and =76, each one on/off, and both off,...) I find that the effects are unpredictable and often the opposite of what I expected.

            BTW -- I originally tried using NoteTab on the suggestion of a friend who knew about the script functions that theoretically would remove unneeded HTML code from a MSWord document saved "in HTML format." You can guess how useful that was to me.

            Anyway, thanks again. I may have time to get to understand NoteTab some day, but not while I still have real work to do.

            Meanwhile, although this can't be the right place to ask -- can anyone point me to a "setting" or something that will "word wrap" this message when I click on "Preview?" putting each paragraph on a single line just looks dumb.
          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 13 , May 21, 2009
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "rbreichart" <rbr27@...> wrote:

              > The actual operation of NoteTab's "word wrap" and "wrap to
              > column" functions comes across to me as upside down to any normal
              > expectation. Of course, that may well make then stronger and more
              > efficient when they're used as the designer conceived them.
              > However, after studying the "help" paragraph and experimenting
              > with several different settings on the document I was trying to
              > work with (both on with column=60 and =76, each one on/off, and
              > both off,...) I find that the effects are unpredictable and often
              > the opposite of what I expected.

              It does seem odd, possibly a bug. If you activate column wrap for a document, it immediately updates the wrapping once. But removing the column wrap option (either by unclicking the checkbox or by selecting Document Default Properties) does not provide the expected immediate change in format. Neither do subsequent attempts to enable and disable (normal) word wrap. The column wrap boundary doesn't seem to get visibly removed until you reload the document.

              Regards,
              Sheri
            • MotoMania
              Message 6 of 13 , May 21, 2009
                Try taking the focus to another program window and then back, I found
                that will "activate" the word wrap when it doesn't seem to take.

                Mick

                Sheri wrote:

                > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > "rbreichart" <rbr27@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > The actual operation of NoteTab's "word wrap" and "wrap to
                > > column" functions comes across to me as upside down to any normal
                > > expectation. Of course, that may well make then stronger and more
                > > efficient when they're used as the designer conceived them.
                > > However, after studying the "help" paragraph and experimenting
                > > with several different settings on the document I was trying to
                > > work with (both on with column=60 and =76, each one on/off, and
                > > both off,...) I find that the effects are unpredictable and often
                > > the opposite of what I expected.
                >
                > It does seem odd, possibly a bug. If you activate column wrap for a
                > document, it immediately updates the wrapping once. But removing the
                > column wrap option (either by unclicking the checkbox or by selecting
                > Document Default Properties) does not provide the expected immediate
                > change in format. Neither do subsequent attempts to enable and disable
                > (normal) word wrap. The column wrap boundary doesn't seem to get visibly
                > removed until you reload the document.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Sheri
              • Sheri
                Message 7 of 13 , May 21, 2009
                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, MotoMania <motomania@...> wrote:

                  > Try taking the focus to another program window and then back, I
                  > found that will "activate" the word wrap when it doesn't seem to
                  > take.

                  Thanks for the suggestion, but that isn't working for me. If it works for you, there must be something else different in our working environments or program versions. I was trying it with 6.0 Light.

                  Regards,
                  Sheri
                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 21, 2009
                    > I apologize for using the term "word processor" instead of the more correct "text editor." (I've used as many as a dozen of the latter over the years, from MS's Edlin and DOSedit to Apple's TextEdit, and at least four of the former, from IBM's DWScript to MSWord, so I think I recognize the distinction, if not the difference.) The point of the criticism, however, seems to me to represent the same motivation -- advocating precise technical language not in the interest of enhancing clarity, but to identify the non-techie as an outsider.

                    Perhaps you see what you look for. The distinction between a word
                    processor and a text editor is significant. And understanding the
                    difference is significant. Attempting to clarify might help us
                    understand quite what you are asking because it is hardly clear to me.
                    I won't try to help you further just in case I might not be helpful,
                    thus assuring that I won't be.
                  • Eric Fookes
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 21, 2009
                      Hi Sheri,

                      > It does seem odd, possibly a bug. If you activate column wrap for a
                      > document, it immediately updates the wrapping once. But removing the
                      > column wrap option (either by unclicking the checkbox or by selecting
                      > Document Default Properties) does not provide the expected immediate
                      > change in format. Neither do subsequent attempts to enable and
                      > disable (normal) word wrap. The column wrap boundary doesn't seem to
                      > get visibly removed until you reload the document.

                      No, it's not a bug. The option works very differently from NoteTab Pro.
                      When you set Column Wrap, NoteTab Light/Std does a Split Lines operation
                      at the specified column width. Unchecking the option does not remove the
                      inserted line breaks. NoteTab has always worked this way.

                      Eric Fookes
                      http://www.fookes.com/
                    • Alan G
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 22, 2009
                        On Thu, 21 May 2009 18:13:54 -0000, "rbreichart" <rbr27@...>
                        wrote in part:

                        > Meanwhile, although this can't be the right place to ask -- can anyone
                        > point me to a "setting" or something that will "word wrap" this
                        > message when I click on "Preview?" putting each paragraph on a single
                        > line just looks dumb.

                        You'll find "Join Lines" and "Split Lines" in the Modify | Lines menu.
                        These functions act only on selected text. Of course a simple ^A will
                        select all the text in the current tab. Blank lines are preserved in
                        each operation. I've added buttons for these two actions to my toolbar.

                        Alan G
                      • Sheri
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 22, 2009
                          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "rbreichart" <rbr27@...> wrote:

                          > The actual operation of NoteTab's "word wrap" and "wrap to
                          > column" functions comes across to me as upside down to any normal
                          > expectation. Of course, that may well make then stronger and more
                          > efficient when they're used as the designer conceived them.
                          > However, after studying the "help" paragraph and experimenting
                          > with several different settings on the document I was trying to
                          > work with (both on with column=60 and =76, each one on/off, and
                          > both off,...) I find that the effects are unpredictable and often
                          > the opposite of what I expected.

                          Overall I find NoteTab's help pages helpful, but in this case I agree with you.

                          Now that I understand that hard breaks are inserted when you use wrap to column in Standard or Light, I would advise to simply avoid the setting. The Split and/or Join and/or Reformat Lines actions are available from the menu, and then the occasional placement of additional hard breaks is user-driven. Paragraphs in Windows text files usually should be all on one "line", which is consistent with avoiding column wrap.

                          To summarize:

                          - Ensure that wrap to column is not enabled by default in Options on the Document Tab. Unchecking it will not affect the appearance of existing documents.

                          - Do not enable column wrap for individual documents.

                          - As long as column wrap has not been used for a given document, word wrap works predicatably, wrapping at the window width.

                          To remove column wrap from an existing document:

                          - Ensure there is an empty line between each paragraph

                          - use Modify-Lines-Join Lines

                          - After column wrap has been removed, word wrap can again be used to predictably wrap for viewing at the window width, or within margins for printing (if word wrap is enabled on Page Setup).

                          Regards,
                          Sheri
                        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 11, 2009
                            Just to be clear he means control+A -- as NT often uses a carrot with
                            something.