Re: [NTB] Installing version 6 over version 5

  • loro
    Message 1 of 10 , May 13, 2009
      Bill Mosca wrote:
      > Do people really use more than one version?

      Yes. :-)

      Lotta
    • loro
      Message 2 of 10 , May 13, 2009
        Lotta wrote:
        >Bill Mosca wrote:
        > > Do people really use more than one version?
        >
        >Yes. :-)

        To expand on that, if you point the installer to the NTP 5 folder, it
        should replace the old version. I haven't installed v. 6 yet, but
        that's how it has worked before. A little late now maybe, but try
        that next time.

        Lotta
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 10 , May 13, 2009
          I install into a single NoteTab Pro folder every time. It always updates, and I'm not bothered with version numbers. I
          never wish to run down level versions anyway.
          John

          > > Do people really use more than one version?
          >
          >Yes. :-)

          To expand on that, if you point the installer to the NTP 5 folder, it
          should replace the old version. I haven't installed v. 6 yet, but
          that's how it has worked before. A little late now maybe, but try
          that next time.

          Lotta

        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 10 , May 13, 2009
            loro (loro-spam01-@...) wrote (in part) (on 1969-12-31 at 19:00):
            > Lotta wrote:
            > >Bill Mosca wrote:
            > > > Do people really use more than one version?
            > >
            > >Yes. :-)
            >
            > To expand on that, if you point the installer to the NTP 5 folder, it
            > should replace the old version. I haven't installed v. 6 yet, but
            > that's how it has worked before. A little late now maybe, but try
            > that next time.

            And to expand some more ...
            You do keep a copy of your original installers don't you ... ? :-D
            If so you *could* reinstall Notetab 5 in its original location then
            decide whether to keep both around temporarily or to re-install Notetab
            6 over Notetab 5 or in a separate location. (Primary reason would be in
            case you run into a "show-stopper" making it necessary to revert to
            Notetab 5 until Eric/Fookes software gets it corrected - hopefully there
            aren't any but Murphy's law says eventually there will be).

            What I usually try to remember to do before a substantial update (eg. I
            would do it when going from Notetab 5.x to Notetab 6.0 but not from
            Notetab 6.0 to Notetab 6.1) is ...

            Make a copy in Program Files of the current Notetab folder as (say)
            "Copy of Notetab 5" then install Notetab 6 into the Notetab 5 folder.

            Download a folder/file comparison program if you don't have one already
            (two good free ones are Kdiff3 and WinMerge)

            Run the folder comparison between "updated" %progfiles%/Notetab and
            %progfiles%/Copy of Notetab.
            Things to look for ....
            new version of WhatsNew.txt and old version (easiest way to to see what
            changes you should be aware of)
            and if you use or create clips ... changes or additions to any of the
            clip libraries. eg. Eric added some new clips to "Samples" and possibly
            some others. You can check the diffs between versions of the libraries
            to see what's been added or changed etc.

            Note: Most of the above is not required but I'm pretty anal about
            changes made to my system. I don't do it every time nor for every
            application I update but frequently this update procedure saves me time
            down the road. YMMV!

          • Ugly Sean
            Message 5 of 10 , May 14, 2009
              Message 6 of 10 , May 15, 2009
                John

                That's what I ended up doing. It's just that I expected an over-write the first time around.

                Bill

                > I install into a single NoteTab Pro folder every time. It always updates, and I'm not bothered with version numbers. I
                > never wish to run down level versions anyway.
                > John

              • Bill Mosca
                Message 7 of 10 , May 15, 2009
                  Those are some great tips, Alex.

                  Yes, I save my older install file. After all, I paid for it. <g>

                  I have a file comparer, but not a folder comparer. I'll get one of the ones you recommended for future installs.

                  Bill

                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

                  > loro (loro-spam01-@...) wrote (in part) (on 1969-12-31 at 19:00):
                  > > Lotta wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > >Yes. :-)
                  > >
                  > > To expand on that, if you point the installer to the NTP 5 folder, it
                  > > should replace the old version. I haven't installed v. 6 yet, but
                  > > that's how it has worked before. A little late now maybe, but try
                  > > that next time.
                  >
                  > And to expand some more ...
                  > You do keep a copy of your original installers don't you ... ? :-D
                  > If so you *could* reinstall Notetab 5 in its original location then
                  > decide whether to keep both around temporarily or to re-install Notetab
                  > 6 over Notetab 5 or in a separate location. (Primary reason would be in
                  > case you run into a "show-stopper" making it necessary to revert to
                  > Notetab 5 until Eric/Fookes software gets it corrected - hopefully there
                  > aren't any but Murphy's law says eventually there will be).
                  >
                  > What I usually try to remember to do before a substantial update (eg. I
                  > would do it when going from Notetab 5.x to Notetab 6.0 but not from
                  > Notetab 6.0 to Notetab 6.1) is ...
                  >
                  > Make a copy in Program Files of the current Notetab folder as (say)
                  > "Copy of Notetab 5" then install Notetab 6 into the Notetab 5 folder.
                  >
                  > Download a folder/file comparison program if you don't have one already
                  > (two good free ones are Kdiff3 and WinMerge)
                  >
                  > Run the folder comparison between "updated" %progfiles%/Notetab and
                  > %progfiles%/Copy of Notetab.
                  > Things to look for ....
                  > new version of WhatsNew.txt and old version (easiest way to to see what
                  > changes you should be aware of)
                  > and if you use or create clips ... changes or additions to any of the
                  > clip libraries. eg. Eric added some new clips to "Samples" and possibly
                  > some others. You can check the diffs between versions of the libraries
                  > to see what's been added or changed etc.
                  >
                  > Note: Most of the above is not required but I'm pretty anal about
                  > changes made to my system. I don't do it every time nor for every
                  > application I update but frequently this update procedure saves me time
                  > down the road. YMMV!
                  >
                  > --

                • Bill Mosca
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 15, 2009
                    Sean

                    I'm really not as computer illiterate as I seem. I can create shortcuts. I can even create them using VBScript and VBA. I just found the install of NoteTab 6 frustrating in that there was no option to over-write and since the updater is called an updater and not an upgrader I expected it to remove the older version. But that's my problem. When I went to create the lost shortcut is when I saw the two versons installed. Uninstalling 5 after installing 6 caused 6 to break.

                    Upon re-installing to a generic NoteTab folder things did go fairly smoothly, although I did have to download the dictionaries. Hopefully, that's all I lost. I have backups of my .ini file and libraries.

                    I was just expressing my experience and opinion as a customer. I would think the company would want that kind of feedback. I know I want my users to let me know when one of my applications is not doing what is expected.

                    And I appologize to Mr. Fookes for misspelling his name. I didn't even know that was a person's name. I just knew it was the name of the software. For all I knew, Fookes meant "My" in Swedish. I happen to have a good friend with the last name of Frooke. I must have confused the two. (By the way, my friend pronounces his last name as it rhymes with "spoke")

                    Regards,
                    Bill Mosca,
                    http://www.thatlldoit.com
                    Founder - MS_Access_Professionals