Installing version 6 over version 5

  • Bill Mosca
    Message 1 of 10 , May 13, 2009
      I have version 5 installed. I just instaleld version 6 letting it use the default folder. Instead of removing version 5, I ended up with 2 versions installed. When I uninstalled version 5, it removed my shortcut for version 6. ACK!

      Why can't Frooke just set the installation package to uninstall earlier versions or at least present that option at installation time? Do people really use more than one version?

      Regards,
      Bill Mosca,
      http://www.thatlldoit.com
    • Chris Laarman
      Message 2 of 10 , May 13, 2009
        On Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:22 PM [GMT+1=CET],
        Bill Mosca <wrmosca@...> wrote:

        > I have version 5 installed. I just instaleld version 6 letting it use
        > the default folder. Instead of removing version 5, I ended up with 2
        > versions installed. When I uninstalled version 5, it removed my
        > shortcut for version 6. ACK!
        >
        > Why can't Frooke just set the installation package to uninstall
        > earlier versions or at least present that option at installation
        > time? Do people really use more than one version?

        So you have been sleeping two times (upon installing and while writing
        the above). Wouldn't that balance the shortcut matter and your
        (reasonable, as far as I can see) point regarding an explicite
        installation option?

        --
        Chris Laarman

        Thank you, Eric Fookes, for your continuing dedication to your products
        and for the free major upgrade. :-)
      • loro
        Message 3 of 10 , May 13, 2009
          Bill Mosca wrote:
          > Do people really use more than one version?

          Yes. :-)

          Lotta
        • loro
          Message 4 of 10 , May 13, 2009
            Lotta wrote:
            >Bill Mosca wrote:
            > > Do people really use more than one version?
            >
            >Yes. :-)

            To expand on that, if you point the installer to the NTP 5 folder, it
            should replace the old version. I haven't installed v. 6 yet, but
            that's how it has worked before. A little late now maybe, but try
            that next time.

            Lotta
          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 10 , May 13, 2009
              I install into a single NoteTab Pro folder every time. It always updates, and I'm not bothered with version numbers. I
              never wish to run down level versions anyway.
              John

              > > Do people really use more than one version?
              >
              >Yes. :-)

              To expand on that, if you point the installer to the NTP 5 folder, it
              should replace the old version. I haven't installed v. 6 yet, but
              that's how it has worked before. A little late now maybe, but try
              that next time.

              Lotta

            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 10 , May 13, 2009
                loro (loro-spam01-@...) wrote (in part) (on 1969-12-31 at 19:00):
                > Lotta wrote:
                > >Bill Mosca wrote:
                > > > Do people really use more than one version?
                > >
                > >Yes. :-)
                >
                > To expand on that, if you point the installer to the NTP 5 folder, it
                > should replace the old version. I haven't installed v. 6 yet, but
                > that's how it has worked before. A little late now maybe, but try
                > that next time.

                And to expand some more ...
                You do keep a copy of your original installers don't you ... ? :-D
                If so you *could* reinstall Notetab 5 in its original location then
                decide whether to keep both around temporarily or to re-install Notetab
                6 over Notetab 5 or in a separate location. (Primary reason would be in
                case you run into a "show-stopper" making it necessary to revert to
                Notetab 5 until Eric/Fookes software gets it corrected - hopefully there
                aren't any but Murphy's law says eventually there will be).

                What I usually try to remember to do before a substantial update (eg. I
                would do it when going from Notetab 5.x to Notetab 6.0 but not from
                Notetab 6.0 to Notetab 6.1) is ...

                Make a copy in Program Files of the current Notetab folder as (say)
                "Copy of Notetab 5" then install Notetab 6 into the Notetab 5 folder.

                Download a folder/file comparison program if you don't have one already
                (two good free ones are Kdiff3 and WinMerge)

                Run the folder comparison between "updated" %progfiles%/Notetab and
                %progfiles%/Copy of Notetab.
                Things to look for ....
                new version of WhatsNew.txt and old version (easiest way to to see what
                changes you should be aware of)
                and if you use or create clips ... changes or additions to any of the
                clip libraries. eg. Eric added some new clips to "Samples" and possibly
                some others. You can check the diffs between versions of the libraries
                to see what's been added or changed etc.

                Note: Most of the above is not required but I'm pretty anal about
                changes made to my system. I don't do it every time nor for every
                application I update but frequently this update procedure saves me time
                down the road. YMMV!

              • Ugly Sean
                Message 7 of 10 , May 14, 2009
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 15, 2009
                    John

                    That's what I ended up doing. It's just that I expected an over-write the first time around.

                    Bill

                    > I install into a single NoteTab Pro folder every time. It always updates, and I'm not bothered with version numbers. I
                    > never wish to run down level versions anyway.
                    > John

                  • Bill Mosca
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 15, 2009
                      Those are some great tips, Alex.

                      Yes, I save my older install file. After all, I paid for it. <g>

                      I have a file comparer, but not a folder comparer. I'll get one of the ones you recommended for future installs.

                      Bill

                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

                      > loro (loro-spam01-@...) wrote (in part) (on 1969-12-31 at 19:00):
                      > > Lotta wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > >Yes. :-)
                      > >
                      > > To expand on that, if you point the installer to the NTP 5 folder, it
                      > > should replace the old version. I haven't installed v. 6 yet, but
                      > > that's how it has worked before. A little late now maybe, but try
                      > > that next time.
                      >
                      > And to expand some more ...
                      > You do keep a copy of your original installers don't you ... ? :-D
                      > If so you *could* reinstall Notetab 5 in its original location then
                      > decide whether to keep both around temporarily or to re-install Notetab
                      > 6 over Notetab 5 or in a separate location. (Primary reason would be in
                      > case you run into a "show-stopper" making it necessary to revert to
                      > Notetab 5 until Eric/Fookes software gets it corrected - hopefully there
                      > aren't any but Murphy's law says eventually there will be).
                      >
                      > What I usually try to remember to do before a substantial update (eg. I
                      > would do it when going from Notetab 5.x to Notetab 6.0 but not from
                      > Notetab 6.0 to Notetab 6.1) is ...
                      >
                      > Make a copy in Program Files of the current Notetab folder as (say)
                      > "Copy of Notetab 5" then install Notetab 6 into the Notetab 5 folder.
                      >
                      > Download a folder/file comparison program if you don't have one already
                      > (two good free ones are Kdiff3 and WinMerge)
                      >
                      > Run the folder comparison between "updated" %progfiles%/Notetab and
                      > %progfiles%/Copy of Notetab.
                      > Things to look for ....
                      > new version of WhatsNew.txt and old version (easiest way to to see what
                      > changes you should be aware of)
                      > and if you use or create clips ... changes or additions to any of the
                      > clip libraries. eg. Eric added some new clips to "Samples" and possibly
                      > some others. You can check the diffs between versions of the libraries
                      > to see what's been added or changed etc.
                      >
                      > Note: Most of the above is not required but I'm pretty anal about
                      > changes made to my system. I don't do it every time nor for every
                      > application I update but frequently this update procedure saves me time
                      > down the road. YMMV!
                      >
                      > --

                    • Bill Mosca
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 15, 2009
                        Sean

                        I'm really not as computer illiterate as I seem. I can create shortcuts. I can even create them using VBScript and VBA. I just found the install of NoteTab 6 frustrating in that there was no option to over-write and since the updater is called an updater and not an upgrader I expected it to remove the older version. But that's my problem. When I went to create the lost shortcut is when I saw the two versons installed. Uninstalling 5 after installing 6 caused 6 to break.

                        Upon re-installing to a generic NoteTab folder things did go fairly smoothly, although I did have to download the dictionaries. Hopefully, that's all I lost. I have backups of my .ini file and libraries.

                        I was just expressing my experience and opinion as a customer. I would think the company would want that kind of feedback. I know I want my users to let me know when one of my applications is not doing what is expected.

                        And I appologize to Mr. Fookes for misspelling his name. I didn't even know that was a person's name. I just knew it was the name of the software. For all I knew, Fookes meant "My" in Swedish. I happen to have a good friend with the last name of Frooke. I must have confused the two. (By the way, my friend pronounces his last name as it rhymes with "spoke")

                        Regards,
                        Bill Mosca,
                        http://www.thatlldoit.com
                        Founder - MS_Access_Professionals