New user comments

  • Robert Bull
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2009
      Hello;

      A few comments from a *very* new user of Notetab Pro 6.0. My
      background: long-time preference for WordStar-style editors, notably
      VDE and PC-Write. Notetab Lite did some useful work for me a few
      years ago, and lately I've been playing the field, largely because of
      needing to cut and paste between Windows applications, massaging
      things on the way.

      1) Two functions I like in, e.g., Crimson Editor and TED Notepad: a
      single key (Ctrl-D) to mark the word the cursor is on, and a single
      key to mark the whole line. TED Notepad goes further with Shft-Ctrl-D,
      which *adds* the next word to the selection, similarly for lines. I
      can't immediately see a way to do this in NTP; have I missed it?

      2) NTP says it's easy to map actions to what keys you want. I like
      the system in EmEditor and Notepad++, which give you a long list of
      actions and assigned keys, so you can see relatively easily what's
      what. Again, have I missed the equivalent in NTP?

      3) NTP makes back-ups in the directory of the current file. Please
      can it be given the ability to make back-ups in a user-defined
      location (tree if necessary) to keep the current directory clean?
      That's what I do with Crimson Editor and Notepad++, and can clean the
      back-ups automatically using Horst Schaeffer's DELAGE32 to delete
      files in a target tree after so many days.

      4) I'm glad NTP has bookmarks, but prefer the "other" style of
      entering them, i.e., one key to toggle a bookmark, and one other key
      to jump to the next bookmark in a circular queue. Please can that be
      added as an alternative, or even as well as (HippoEdit has both)? Then
      you don't have to remember which bookmark you want.

      5) Is there a learn-by-example mode for macros? I.e., walk through
      it, then save it?

      6) The HTML stripper also strips out carriage returns. I don't know
      much about HTML - but have noticed HTML doesn't care about CRs, so
      presume that's correct action :) But I'd like the option to retain
      them. That's because I currently have to massage files of patent
      information retrieved from the Web, and some of them still have
      residual HTML codes embedded in otherwise plain text.

      7) Outliner: I've barely looked at it. If I want a two-pane
      outliner, I generally used Horst Schaeffer's MemPad, but I'd often
      like a single-pane outliner like PC-Outline for DOS was, or ECCO, or
      TkOutline. I admit I can't see how that would be done without having
      to use special codes, taking NTP further from being a plain-text
      editor, but maybe there's a way?

      8) Autocompletion; instead of pressing F2, I'd rather be have a prefix
      or suffix key like "\" or "=" so that one's hands stay on the
      keyboard.

      9) The diff function is nice, but looks very much like a shell wrapped
      around a command-line diff. I'd prefer the differences to be
      colour-highlighted, at least to the same extent as they are in Total
      Commander. However, I'm a registered user of Examdiff Pro, so I
      suppose I should learn enough macro programming to invoke in instead
      whenever I want that :)

      Robert Bull
      mailto:barlennan@...
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2009
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Robert Bull <barlennan@...> wrote:

        > 1) Two functions I like in, e.g., Crimson Editor and TED Notepad:
        > a single key (Ctrl-D) to mark the word the cursor is on, and a
        > single key to mark the whole line. TED Notepad goes further with
        > Shft-Ctrl-D, which *adds* the next word to the selection,
        > similarly for lines. I can't immediately see a way to do this in
        > NTP; have I missed it?

        Most of NoteTab's methods for launching clips require mouse clicks. There is also the "in-context clipbook" whereby you can press the escape key and use keystrokes to select the wanted clip. NoteTab's keyboard shortcuts for Menu commands can be reassigned by customizing your Shortcuts.dat file.

        If you want to launch clips using hotkeys like Ctrl+D it can be done using other utilities. This solution integrates with Shortcuts.dat and uses PowerPro: <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/CustomClipkeysInfo.html> It also includes a Shortcuts.dat reference file showing all of NoteTab's initial keyboard shortcuts.

        Regards,
        Sheri
      • Robert Bull
        Message 3 of 3 , May 17, 2009
          Hello, Sheri;

          Monday, May 11, 2009, 12:07:03 AM, you wrote:

          S> There is an active Clips list for help writing clips:

          I've linked in...

          S> Most of NoteTab's methods for launching clips require mouse clicks. There is also the

          I prefer keyboard to mouse clicks, but I see one can Shift-F6 into the
          clipbook and treat it like a menu.

          S> If you want to launch clips using hotkeys like Ctrl+D it can be done using other
          S> utilities. This solution integrates with Shortcuts.dat and uses PowerPro:

          That's a good Wink, but looks like a complicated procedure. I run
          PowerPro already - did a double-take when I saw your name here - and
          will keep this technique in mind. Have to check I don't already have
          a script with that name in place.

          On another matter: my comment about HTML-stripping was a non-problem.
          I was trying to strip the whole file. If I just highlit the bit I
          wanted before pressing the Go button, it just cleaned up the section
          in question. Very convenient.

          --
          Thanks,

          Robert Bull