How to get Whatsnew.txt not to open

  • Bob Wilcox
    Message 1 of 7 , May 7, 2009
      I just upgraded to 6.0/fv and WhatsNew.txt opens when I start Notepad. If I close it the file doesn't open the next few times I start NotePad, but the next day it does. I have tried unchecking things in options but I haven't had any success making it go away.
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2009
        Hi
        I would close down any libraries that are running and then close
        whatsnew,txt and close notetab and reopen it best I can do for the time
        being ??
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        >I just upgraded to 6.0/fv and WhatsNew.txt opens when I start Notepad. If I
        >close it the file doesn't open the next few times I start NotePad, but the
        >next day it does. I have tried unchecking things in options but I haven't
        >had any success making it go away.

      • Don Daugherty
        Message 3 of 7 , May 8, 2009
          Dave wrote:
          > Hi
          > I would close down any libraries that are running and then close
          > whatsnew,txt and close notetab and reopen it best I can do for the time
          > being ??
          Try looking under the help menu for "Poll for News". If it's checked,
          uncheck it. Then close and reopen NoteTab (twice?).
        • Don Daugherty
          Message 4 of 7 , May 11, 2009
            Don Daugherty wrote:
            > Dave wrote:
            >
            >> Hi
            >> I would close down any libraries that are running and then close
            >> whatsnew,txt and close notetab and reopen it best I can do for the time
            >> being ??
            >>
            > Try looking under the help menu for "Poll for News". If it's checked,
            > uncheck it. Then close and reopen NoteTab (twice?).
            I just checked; it's back again. Maybe I need to delete the file, which
            is in my c:\Program Files\NoteTab 6\ folder
          • Bert Byfield
            Message 5 of 7 , May 11, 2009
              >> Try looking under the help menu for "Poll for News". If it's checked,
              >> uncheck it. Then close and reopen NoteTab (twice?).

              > I just checked; it's back again. Maybe I need to delete the file, which
              > is in my c:\Program Files\NoteTab 6\ folder

              Are you sure you are closing the file in NoteTab? If you still see it
              and close NoteTab, NoteTab will think you are still using it (if that
              option is set, which it probably should be). I have "Poll for News"
              checked and I don't have the problem.
            • Bert Byfield
              Message 6 of 7 , May 11, 2009
                >> I just checked; it's back again. Maybe I need to delete the file, which
                >> is in my c:\Program Files\NoteTab 6\ folder

                > Are you sure you are closing the file in NoteTab? If you still see it
                > and close NoteTab, NoteTab will think you are still using it (if that
                > option is set, which it probably should be). I have "Poll for News"
                > checked and I don't have the problem.

                Okay, I *am* having the same problem, but only once per day (?).
              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 7 , May 11, 2009
                  With the document open, right click on the tab for the document (along the top) and choose close. You are closing only
                  that one document. Open a document you plan to work with. Save it. At this point, you should have only one document in
                  NoteTab, and it should be your own text file.

                  Close, then open NoteTab. You should only see your document. Repeat. Repeat every so often. Only the last documents that
                  were open when you close Notetab should reappear. I am using the new version, and I only saw the file you refer to one
                  time - when I first started it, read it, then closed it.

                  John