Re: [NTB] Notetab Pro 6 released

  • ladyck3@tx.rr.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4, 2009
      I'm a registered user since March of 2000 and in my check for updates option it shows the readme file option but no option to update the software.. when I check the link for the updates, the option is to download a trial version....

      Hmmm, wonder what I did wrong :(

      Laurie

    • ladyck3@tx.rr.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4, 2009
        TO EVERYONE... I'm having a "DAY"... sorry the option is the second one..... in the list.
        I swear I need to go back to bed....

        Laurie

        ---- ladyck3@... wrote:
        > I'm a registered user since March of 2000 and in my check for updates option it shows the readme file option but no option to update the software.. when I check the link for the updates, the option is to download a trial version....
        >
        > Hmmm, wonder what I did wrong :(
        >
        > Laurie
        >
        > ---- Lee Underwood <leeu@...> wrote:
        > > Thanks for the free upgrade! An excellent program and an excellent company!
        > >
        > > Lee
        > >

        > > > Check under Help/Check for updates (I have auto-checking turned off). Notetab has decided to release this version for free to V5 registered users. Thanks!

      • Marcelo Bastos
        Message 3 of 8 , May 6, 2009
          Interviewed by CNN on 4/5/2009 09:21, Jim told the world:
          > Check under Help/Check for updates (I have auto-checking turned off). Notetab has decided to release this version for free to V5 registered users. Thanks!

          Note that the migration from 5.x to 6.0 is not _quite_ automatic:

          In my case, the setup program created a new "NoteTab Pro 6" alongside
          the existing "NoteTab Pro 5" folder. Some files, which *were* present in
          the original setup, but are not present in the upgrade/update setup,
          were not copied. Those are:
          - content of the "Dictionaries" subfolder
          - content of the "Sounds" subfolder
          - the "efomacro.dll" library, which is supposedly needed for some clip
          comands. (Is that still necessary?)
          - the "spell.hlp" help file (I suppose it's probably obsolete, since
          it's dated from 2006 and there has been a "spell.chm" file for some time
          now)
          - Some user-added files, such as the "tidy.cfg" I have in the Notetab
          folder in order to make HTMLTidy to behave the way I want it to, extra
          dictionaries and such
          - The "browsers.dat" is not copied -- instead, you get a brand-new one
          without any hand-tweaks you may have done in the past

          Most user settings, which are saved in the user profile
          (%APPDATA%\NoteTab Pro), are shared seamlessly between NoteTab 5 and
          NoteTab 6. However, if you have any of those making direct references to
          the NoteTab 5 folder (I had a few of the settings files in my
          "Favorites," for instance) they will have to be updated.

          With that changed folder name and stuff... maybe it would be nice to
          offer an enlarged update installer, just for this release, so as to
          establish a new baseline for eventual reinstalls?

          Marcelo

          -=-=-
          Friends come and go, enemies accumulate.
          * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.16
        • Eric Fookes
          Message 4 of 8 , May 6, 2009
            Hi Marcelo,

            > With that changed folder name and stuff... maybe it would be nice to
            > offer an enlarged update installer, just for this release, so as to
            > establish a new baseline for eventual reinstalls?

            Only the suggested default installation folder name has changed. The
            installer lets you change the target folder to anywhere you want,
            including the folder of an earlier version. As indicated in the
            pre-install message, it is not recommended to install version 6 over
            your version 4 folder.

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/
          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 8 , May 6, 2009
              Hi Lee,

              > Thanks for the free upgrade! An excellent program and an excellent company!

              You're welcome!

              We decided to make NoteTab 6 a free upgrade for version 5 customers in
              consideration of the current economic climate. NoteTab users can help us
              too by telling others about NoteTab 6 (Facebook, Tweeter, forums, ...)

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/
            • Brother Gabriel-Marie
              Message 6 of 8 , May 6, 2009
                Thank you! This time I did just like you said. I copied NoteTabPro.exe
                and NoteTabPro.ini onto my thumb drive, took it to the internet
                computer, opened it, and clicked check for updates from the help menu.
                It gave me the option for downloading it onto my thumbdrive. I took it
                back and installed it tickety-boo!

                Thanks for the upgrade to version 6!

                God Bless!
                - Brother Gabriel-Marie