Notetab Pro 6 released

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4 5:21 AM
      Check under Help/Check for updates (I have auto-checking turned off). Notetab has decided to release this version for free to V5 registered users. Thanks!
    • Lee Underwood
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4 8:05 AM
        Thanks for the free upgrade! An excellent program and an excellent company!

        Lee

      • ladyck3@tx.rr.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4 11:18 AM
          I'm a registered user since March of 2000 and in my check for updates option it shows the readme file option but no option to update the software.. when I check the link for the updates, the option is to download a trial version....

          Hmmm, wonder what I did wrong :(

          Laurie

          Message 4 of 8 , May 4 11:21 AM
            TO EVERYONE... I'm having a "DAY"... sorry the option is the second one..... in the list.
            I swear I need to go back to bed....

            Laurie

            ---- ladyck3@... wrote:
            > I'm a registered user since March of 2000 and in my check for updates option it shows the readme file option but no option to update the software.. when I check the link for the updates, the option is to download a trial version....
            >
            > Hmmm, wonder what I did wrong :(
            >
            > Laurie
            >
            > ---- Lee Underwood <leeu@...> wrote:
            > > Thanks for the free upgrade! An excellent program and an excellent company!
            > >
            > > Lee
            > >

            > > > Check under Help/Check for updates (I have auto-checking turned off). Notetab has decided to release this version for free to V5 registered users. Thanks!

          • Marcelo Bastos
            Message 5 of 8 , May 6 7:54 AM
              Interviewed by CNN on 4/5/2009 09:21, Jim told the world:
              > Check under Help/Check for updates (I have auto-checking turned off). Notetab has decided to release this version for free to V5 registered users. Thanks!

              Note that the migration from 5.x to 6.0 is not _quite_ automatic:

              In my case, the setup program created a new "NoteTab Pro 6" alongside
              the existing "NoteTab Pro 5" folder. Some files, which *were* present in
              the original setup, but are not present in the upgrade/update setup,
              were not copied. Those are:
              - content of the "Dictionaries" subfolder
              - content of the "Sounds" subfolder
              - the "efomacro.dll" library, which is supposedly needed for some clip
              comands. (Is that still necessary?)
              - the "spell.hlp" help file (I suppose it's probably obsolete, since
              it's dated from 2006 and there has been a "spell.chm" file for some time
              now)
              - Some user-added files, such as the "tidy.cfg" I have in the Notetab
              folder in order to make HTMLTidy to behave the way I want it to, extra
              dictionaries and such
              - The "browsers.dat" is not copied -- instead, you get a brand-new one
              without any hand-tweaks you may have done in the past

              Most user settings, which are saved in the user profile
              (%APPDATA%\NoteTab Pro), are shared seamlessly between NoteTab 5 and
              NoteTab 6. However, if you have any of those making direct references to
              the NoteTab 5 folder (I had a few of the settings files in my
              "Favorites," for instance) they will have to be updated.

              With that changed folder name and stuff... maybe it would be nice to
              offer an enlarged update installer, just for this release, so as to
              establish a new baseline for eventual reinstalls?

              Marcelo

              -=-=-
              Friends come and go, enemies accumulate.
              * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.16
            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 8 , May 6 8:09 AM
                Hi Marcelo,

                > With that changed folder name and stuff... maybe it would be nice to
                > offer an enlarged update installer, just for this release, so as to
                > establish a new baseline for eventual reinstalls?

                Only the suggested default installation folder name has changed. The
                installer lets you change the target folder to anywhere you want,
                including the folder of an earlier version. As indicated in the
                pre-install message, it is not recommended to install version 6 over
                your version 4 folder.

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/
              • Eric Fookes
                Message 7 of 8 , May 6 8:22 AM
                  Hi Lee,

                  > Thanks for the free upgrade! An excellent program and an excellent company!

                  You're welcome!

                  We decided to make NoteTab 6 a free upgrade for version 5 customers in
                  consideration of the current economic climate. NoteTab users can help us
                  too by telling others about NoteTab 6 (Facebook, Tweeter, forums, ...)

                  Eric Fookes
                  http://www.fookes.com/
                • Brother Gabriel-Marie
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 6 1:49 PM
                    Thank you! This time I did just like you said. I copied NoteTabPro.exe
                    and NoteTabPro.ini onto my thumb drive, took it to the internet
                    computer, opened it, and clicked check for updates from the help menu.
                    It gave me the option for downloading it onto my thumbdrive. I took it
                    back and installed it tickety-boo!

                    Thanks for the upgrade to version 6!

                    God Bless!
                    - Brother Gabriel-Marie