NoteTab 5.8 Problem?

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2009
      I'm trying to open a file in IE8 from NoteTab. I used to do this regularly,
      but some things have changed since I last tried it, and now I don't know
      what the problem is.

      What's changed since the last time it worked:

      I'm running IE8 instead of IE7.

      I built a new boot drive and reinstalled everything. I am not sure NoteTab
      is fully registered in the Windows Registry.

      I'm running NoteTab 5.8 fv instead of 5.7 fv.

      There is an xsl file that has not been changed, which maps xml to be
      displayed in a browser.

      In my xml file, I list the name of the xsl file, as I always have done:

      <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="file://D:\Work\Mx2ToTxt2.xsl"?>

      This all looks normal, as usual.

      The command I use to open the file in the browser is a clip named Open with
      Browser, with this command in it:

      ^!Url file:///^$GetDocName$ <file:///\\%5e$GetDocName$>

      No changes to this clip either.

      But, when I attempt to open the file, I get a dialog asking whether I want
      to open or save the file. If I say open it, Notetab opens it. If I say save
      it, it is a normal save file operation, and the file is never seen in the
      browser. I have saved the file with a .txt extension. If I save it with a
      .ttt extension, it opens the original xml document in the browser, having
      ignored the xsl stylesheet. I wonder if there is some setting within NoteTab
      that controls this - I haven't changed much from the defaults.

      Can anyone with NTP 5.8 and IE8 open an xml properly in their browser using
      this technique?

      John

    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2009
        I resolved the problem I reported earlier. I renamed the file with an .xml extension and then it
        worked fine. I didn't have to do that before, so it is apparently something to do with IE8.

        John

      • quux2000
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 2009
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "quux2000" <quux2000@...> wrote:

          > I am using NoteTab Pro 5.8/fv on Vista Ultimate 32 SP1. NoteTab crashes on every attempt to open certain files.
          >
          > In iTunes (I'm using version 8.1.0.51), you can right-click a playlist or library and export a text file listing. It oddly outputs everything on 1 line with no newline at the end of the file. However, I am able to open these text files using MS Notepad. Every time I open these using NoteTab, I get the following error messages, and the file is not displayed.
          >
          > Access violation at address 0040949B in module 'NotePro.exe'. Write of address 2037305C
          >
          > Access violation at address 00409BCA in module 'NotePro.exe'. Write of address 2037305C
          >
          > Here's the output of UNIX 'wc' of the file I am attempting to open:
          >
          > 0 79826 558474 My_Nano.txt
          >
          > I realize that a "0-line" file is unusual and the result of possibly buggy behavior from the program that created it. However, if I can open such files in MS Notepad without it crashing, IMHO I should also be to open them in NoteTab. At least there should be some code in NoteTab that prevents these errors dialogs from being presented to the user.

          UPDATE: There appears to have been a bug in the version of iTunes I was using. I upgraded to version 8.1.1.10, and it now outputs one record per line in CRLF DOS/Windows format.

          I did however do some experimenting beforehand. NoteTab Pro started flaking out (with error pop-ups) when the "0-line" exported files passed the 65,535 byte boundary. I think there is still a low-priority issue here worth investigating by Fookes programming team because MS Notepad never gave me problem when I opened any of the "bad" files.

          Thanks to everyone for their help!

          Kevin