NoteTab crashes opening certain files

  • quux2000
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1 5:59 AM
      I am using NoteTab Pro 5.8/fv on Vista Ultimate 32 SP1. NoteTab crashes on every attempt to open certain files.

      In iTunes (I'm using version 8.1.0.51), you can right-click a playlist or library and export a text file listing. It oddly outputs everything on 1 line with no newline at the end of the file. However, I am able to open these text files using MS Notepad. Every time I open these using NoteTab, I get the following error messages, and the file is not displayed.

      Access violation at address 0040949B in module 'NotePro.exe'. Write of address 2037305C

      Access violation at address 00409BCA in module 'NotePro.exe'. Write of address 2037305C

      Here's the output of UNIX 'wc' of the file I am attempting to open:

      0 79826 558474 My_Nano.txt

      I realize that a "0-line" file is unusual and the result of possibly buggy behavior from the program that created it. However, if I can open such files in MS Notepad without it crashing, IMHO I should also be to open them in NoteTab. At least there should be some code in NoteTab that prevents these errors dialogs from being presented to the user.
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1 6:15 AM
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "quux2000" <quux2000@...> wrote:

        > I am using NoteTab Pro 5.8/fv on Vista Ultimate 32 SP1. NoteTab
        > crashes on every attempt to open certain files.
        >
        > In iTunes (I'm using version 8.1.0.51), you can right-click a
        > playlist or library and export a text file listing. It oddly
        > outputs everything on 1 line with no newline at the end of the
        > file. However, I am able to open these text files using MS
        > Notepad. Every time I open these using NoteTab, I get the
        > following error messages, and the file is not displayed.
        >
        > Access violation at address 0040949B in module 'NotePro.exe'.
        > Write of address 2037305C
        > Access violation at address 00409BCA in module 'NotePro.exe'. Write of address 2037305C
        >
        > Here's the output of UNIX 'wc' of the file I am attempting to open:
        >
        > 0 79826 558474 My_Nano.txt
        >
        > I realize that a "0-line" file is unusual and the result of
        > possibly buggy behavior from the program that created it.
        > However, if I can open such files in MS Notepad without it
        > crashing, IMHO I should also be to open them in NoteTab. At least
        > there should be some code in NoteTab that prevents these errors
        > dialogs from being presented to the user.

        Windows, Unix and Mac all use different line break formulations. If its not Windows and its not Unix, it is probably Mac. NoteTab should be able to deal with it even if no lines by any of the standards. Could you zip and post the file into our Group files area? I can check if the problem occurs on XP with Notetab 5.7 and/or 5.8.

        Regards,
        Sheri
      • quux2000
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2 6:33 PM
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

          > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "quux2000" <quux2000@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am using NoteTab Pro 5.8/fv on Vista Ultimate 32 SP1. NoteTab
          > > crashes on every attempt to open certain files.
          > >
          > > In iTunes (I'm using version 8.1.0.51), you can right-click a
          > > playlist or library and export a text file listing. It oddly
          > > outputs everything on 1 line with no newline at the end of the
          > > file. However, I am able to open these text files using MS
          > > Notepad. Every time I open these using NoteTab, I get the
          > > following error messages, and the file is not displayed.
          > >
          > > Access violation at address 0040949B in module 'NotePro.exe'.
          > > Write of address 2037305C
          > > Access violation at address 00409BCA in module 'NotePro.exe'. Write of address 2037305C
          > >
          > > Here's the output of UNIX 'wc' of the file I am attempting to open:
          > >
          > > 0 79826 558474 My_Nano.txt
          > >
          > > I realize that a "0-line" file is unusual and the result of
          > > possibly buggy behavior from the program that created it.
          > > However, if I can open such files in MS Notepad without it
          > > crashing, IMHO I should also be to open them in NoteTab. At least
          > > there should be some code in NoteTab that prevents these errors
          > > dialogs from being presented to the user.
          >
          > Windows, Unix and Mac all use different line break formulations. If its not Windows and its not Unix, it is probably Mac. NoteTab should be able to deal with it even if no lines by any of the standards. Could you zip and post the file into our Group files area? I can check if the problem occurs on XP with Notetab 5.7 and/or 5.8.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Sheri

          OK, thank you. I have uploaded a file with name "Sixties.zip." The text file contained within was created by simply using the "export playlist as text file" function in iTunes. I have made no modifications to the file.
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2 8:34 PM
            YES - its a bug!
            quux2000 (quux2000@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-04-02 at 21:33):
            > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "quux2000" <quux2000@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I am using NoteTab Pro 5.8/fv on Vista Ultimate 32 SP1. NoteTab
            > > > crashes on every attempt to open certain files.
            > > >
            > > > In iTunes (I'm using version 8.1.0.51), you can right-click a
            > > > playlist or library and export a text file listing. It oddly
            > > > outputs everything on 1 line with no newline at the end of the
            > > > file. However, I am able to open these text files using MS
            > > > Notepad. Every time I open these using NoteTab, I get the
            > > > following error messages, and the file is not displayed.
            > > >
            > > > Access violation at address 0040949B in module 'NotePro.exe'.
            > > > Write of address 2037305C
            > > > Access violation at address 00409BCA in module 'NotePro.exe'.
            > Write of address 2037305C
            > > >
            > > > Here's the output of UNIX 'wc' of the file I am attempting to
            > open:
            > > >
            > > > 0 79826 558474 My_Nano.txt
            > > >
            > > > I realize that a "0-line" file is unusual and the result of
            > > > possibly buggy behavior from the program that created it.
            > > > However, if I can open such files in MS Notepad without it
            > > > crashing, IMHO I should also be to open them in NoteTab. At least
            > > > there should be some code in NoteTab that prevents these errors
            > > > dialogs from being presented to the user.
            > >
            > > Windows, Unix and Mac all use different line break formulations. If
            > its not Windows and its not Unix, it is probably Mac. NoteTab should
            > be able to deal with it even if no lines by any of the standards.
            > Could you zip and post the file into our Group files area? I can
            > check if the problem occurs on XP with Notetab 5.7 and/or 5.8.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Sheri
            > >

            > OK, thank you. I have uploaded a file with name "Sixties.zip." The
            > text file contained within was created by simply using the "export
            > playlist as text file" function in iTunes. I have made no
            > modifications to the file.
            Confirming the problem on WinXP SP3
            With Notetab Pro 5.8 I can drag the (unzipped) file sixties.txt to
            Notetab. Status bar at bottom indicates it is format Dos/Windows. I can
            do some manipulation with the file (insert a couple of characters, save
            under another name, select-all - copy to another buffer) but as soon as
            I try to set wrap by keying Ctrl+W it crashes (for me its silent - the
            app just closes).

            Trying the same thing with Notetab Light 5.8 works fine.

            The file appears to contain 149679 characters with no line-breaks.
            In Notetab Pro Options-Advanced I have both Text-Size Limit and
            Paragraph Limit set to 2147483632
            Definitely a bug!
            Workaround
            I was able to fix the file by using regex-replace of (\....)\x20\20 by
            $1\r\n
            ie. dot+3-character extension (usually appeared to be .m4a) followed by
            2 spaces replaced by just the extension and a DOS <cr><lf>

            After doing this I could use Ctrl+W with triggering a crash.

          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2 8:54 PM
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

              > Confirming the problem on WinXP SP3 With Notetab Pro 5.8 I can
              > drag the (unzipped) file sixties.txt to Notetab. Status bar at
              > bottom indicates it is format Dos/Windows. I can do some
              > manipulation with the file (insert a couple of characters, save
              > under another name, select-all - copy to another buffer) but as
              > soon as I try to set wrap by keying Ctrl+W it crashes (for me its
              > silent - the app just closes).

              Same here, but I get repeated Access Violation popups until I terminate NotePro via task manager. Same problems using the file in NTP 5.7 and 5.61.

              > Trying the same thing with Notetab Light 5.8 works fine.

              Yes, but the file text appears wordwrapped (with a long line length) even when wordwrap is off in Light.

              Regards,
              Sheri
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4 8:50 AM
                I'm trying to open a file in IE8 from NoteTab. I used to do this regularly,
                but some things have changed since I last tried it, and now I don't know
                what the problem is.

                What's changed since the last time it worked:

                I'm running IE8 instead of IE7.

                I built a new boot drive and reinstalled everything. I am not sure NoteTab
                is fully registered in the Windows Registry.

                I'm running NoteTab 5.8 fv instead of 5.7 fv.

                There is an xsl file that has not been changed, which maps xml to be
                displayed in a browser.

                In my xml file, I list the name of the xsl file, as I always have done:

                <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="file://D:\Work\Mx2ToTxt2.xsl"?>

                This all looks normal, as usual.

                The command I use to open the file in the browser is a clip named Open with
                Browser, with this command in it:

                ^!Url file:///^$GetDocName$ <file:///\\%5e$GetDocName$>

                No changes to this clip either.

                But, when I attempt to open the file, I get a dialog asking whether I want
                to open or save the file. If I say open it, Notetab opens it. If I say save
                it, it is a normal save file operation, and the file is never seen in the
                browser. I have saved the file with a .txt extension. If I save it with a
                .ttt extension, it opens the original xml document in the browser, having
                ignored the xsl stylesheet. I wonder if there is some setting within NoteTab
                that controls this - I haven't changed much from the defaults.

                Can anyone with NTP 5.8 and IE8 open an xml properly in their browser using
                this technique?

                John

              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 4 9:54 AM
                  I resolved the problem I reported earlier. I renamed the file with an .xml extension and then it
                  worked fine. I didn't have to do that before, so it is apparently something to do with IE8.

                  John

                • quux2000
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 9 8:35 PM
                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "quux2000" <quux2000@...> wrote:

                    > I am using NoteTab Pro 5.8/fv on Vista Ultimate 32 SP1. NoteTab crashes on every attempt to open certain files.
                    >
                    > In iTunes (I'm using version 8.1.0.51), you can right-click a playlist or library and export a text file listing. It oddly outputs everything on 1 line with no newline at the end of the file. However, I am able to open these text files using MS Notepad. Every time I open these using NoteTab, I get the following error messages, and the file is not displayed.
                    >
                    > Access violation at address 0040949B in module 'NotePro.exe'. Write of address 2037305C
                    >
                    > Access violation at address 00409BCA in module 'NotePro.exe'. Write of address 2037305C
                    >
                    > Here's the output of UNIX 'wc' of the file I am attempting to open:
                    >
                    > 0 79826 558474 My_Nano.txt
                    >
                    > I realize that a "0-line" file is unusual and the result of possibly buggy behavior from the program that created it. However, if I can open such files in MS Notepad without it crashing, IMHO I should also be to open them in NoteTab. At least there should be some code in NoteTab that prevents these errors dialogs from being presented to the user.

                    UPDATE: There appears to have been a bug in the version of iTunes I was using. I upgraded to version 8.1.1.10, and it now outputs one record per line in CRLF DOS/Windows format.

                    I did however do some experimenting beforehand. NoteTab Pro started flaking out (with error pop-ups) when the "0-line" exported files passed the 65,535 byte boundary. I think there is still a low-priority issue here worth investigating by Fookes programming team because MS Notepad never gave me problem when I opened any of the "bad" files.

                    Thanks to everyone for their help!

                    Kevin