Re: [NTB] NT won't save character

  • Marcelo Bastos
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 27, 2009
      Interviewed by CNN on 27/3/2009 09:39, write2dot told the world:
      > Hello all,
      >
      > sorry to jump straight to the point, but I have a problem - after reinstalling Windows (XP Pro SP3) NT won't save the character "č" (Č and č as a HTML entity, in case it doesn't show up properly in this mail). It shows up correctly when typing, but when I reopen the text file it's a "c". I haven't fiddled with the settings, and I have the same version installed as previously (4.95).
      >
      > If anyone can help, it would be extermely appreciated.
      > Regards,
      > Pika

      The main problem is that those characters are in the "Latin Extended-A"
      range (above 255). These *can't* be represented by a single byte. That
      would require an Unicode-aware editor. Unfortunately, NoteTab is not one
      of those.

      Marcelo
      -=-=-
      If it looks like a fly & tastes like a fly --
      * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.15
    • write2dot
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 27, 2009
        The thing is, it worked before I recently reinstalled Windows (and consequently NT), I could save files correctly with those characters (they were visible upon reopening with NT or any other text editor). I can't figure out what's changed.

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo Bastos <mcblista@...> wrote:

        > The main problem is that those characters are in the "Latin Extended-A"
        > range (above 255). These *can't* be represented by a single byte. That
        > would require an Unicode-aware editor. Unfortunately, NoteTab is not one
        > of those.
        >
        > Marcelo
      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 27, 2009
          Hi Pika,

          Did you change your default Windows code page after you reinstalled it?
          Are you using the same font in NoteTab, along with the same Font script?

          write2dot wrote:
          > The thing is, it worked before I recently reinstalled Windows (and consequently NT), I could save files correctly with those characters (they were visible upon reopening with NT or any other text editor). I can't figure out what's changed.
          >
          >> The main problem is that those characters are in the "Latin Extended-A"
          >> range (above 255). These *can't* be represented by a single byte. That
          >> would require an Unicode-aware editor. Unfortunately, NoteTab is not one
          >> of those.

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/
        • Eric Fookes
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 27, 2009
            Hi Marcelo,

            > would require an Unicode-aware editor. Unfortunately, NoteTab is not one
            > of those.

            A Unicode editor is currently under development. But it is not a NoteTab
            replacement. It will be made available alongside NoteTab. NoteTab
            customers will be offered a special discount on the new editor.

            No date has been set yet for its release. It's still too early to reveal
            anything more about it, but I can tell you that it will offer many
            features that have been requested over the years.

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/
          • write2dot
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 27, 2009
              Okay, I'm embarrassed to say it was, as usual, a human error. :) I didn't change the language for non-Unicode programs after reinstalling. Thank you both for answering so quickly and apologies for wasting your time.

              Pika
            • melchior prisi
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 27, 2009
                Hi Eric

                ----- on 27.03.2009 16:21 Eric Fookes wrote:
                > A Unicode editor is currently under development. But it is not a NoteTab
                > replacement. It will be made available alongside NoteTab. NoteTab
                > customers will be offered a special discount on the new editor.

                Will it be capable to apply NoteTab-Clips to unicode files?

                Thanks
                Melchior
                --
              • Marcelo Bastos
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 30, 2009
                  By the way, NoteTab 5.8 is out. Use "Help/Check for Updates" to get the
                  new version.

                  Marcelo

                  -=-=-
                  No wanna work... wanna bang on keyboard!
                  * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.15