NT won't save character

  • write2dot
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 27, 2009
      Hello all,

      sorry to jump straight to the point, but I have a problem - after reinstalling Windows (XP Pro SP3) NT won't save the character "č" (Č and č as a HTML entity, in case it doesn't show up properly in this mail). It shows up correctly when typing, but when I reopen the text file it's a "c". I haven't fiddled with the settings, and I have the same version installed as previously (4.95).

      If anyone can help, it would be extermely appreciated.
      Regards,
      Pika
    • Marcelo Bastos
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 27, 2009
        Interviewed by CNN on 27/3/2009 09:39, write2dot told the world:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > sorry to jump straight to the point, but I have a problem - after reinstalling Windows (XP Pro SP3) NT won't save the character "č" (Č and č as a HTML entity, in case it doesn't show up properly in this mail). It shows up correctly when typing, but when I reopen the text file it's a "c". I haven't fiddled with the settings, and I have the same version installed as previously (4.95).
        >
        > If anyone can help, it would be extermely appreciated.
        > Regards,
        > Pika

        The main problem is that those characters are in the "Latin Extended-A"
        range (above 255). These *can't* be represented by a single byte. That
        would require an Unicode-aware editor. Unfortunately, NoteTab is not one
        of those.

        Marcelo
        -=-=-
        If it looks like a fly & tastes like a fly --
        * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.15
      • write2dot
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 27, 2009
          The thing is, it worked before I recently reinstalled Windows (and consequently NT), I could save files correctly with those characters (they were visible upon reopening with NT or any other text editor). I can't figure out what's changed.

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo Bastos <mcblista@...> wrote:

          > The main problem is that those characters are in the "Latin Extended-A"
          > range (above 255). These *can't* be represented by a single byte. That
          > would require an Unicode-aware editor. Unfortunately, NoteTab is not one
          > of those.
          >
          > Marcelo
        • Eric Fookes
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 27, 2009
            Hi Pika,

            Did you change your default Windows code page after you reinstalled it?
            Are you using the same font in NoteTab, along with the same Font script?

            write2dot wrote:
            > The thing is, it worked before I recently reinstalled Windows (and consequently NT), I could save files correctly with those characters (they were visible upon reopening with NT or any other text editor). I can't figure out what's changed.
            >
            >> The main problem is that those characters are in the "Latin Extended-A"
            >> range (above 255). These *can't* be represented by a single byte. That
            >> would require an Unicode-aware editor. Unfortunately, NoteTab is not one
            >> of those.

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/
          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 27, 2009
              Hi Marcelo,

              > would require an Unicode-aware editor. Unfortunately, NoteTab is not one
              > of those.

              A Unicode editor is currently under development. But it is not a NoteTab
              replacement. It will be made available alongside NoteTab. NoteTab
              customers will be offered a special discount on the new editor.

              No date has been set yet for its release. It's still too early to reveal
              anything more about it, but I can tell you that it will offer many
              features that have been requested over the years.

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/
            • write2dot
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 27, 2009
                Okay, I'm embarrassed to say it was, as usual, a human error. :) I didn't change the language for non-Unicode programs after reinstalling. Thank you both for answering so quickly and apologies for wasting your time.

                Pika
              • melchior prisi
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 27, 2009
                  Hi Eric

                  ----- on 27.03.2009 16:21 Eric Fookes wrote:
                  > A Unicode editor is currently under development. But it is not a NoteTab
                  > replacement. It will be made available alongside NoteTab. NoteTab
                  > customers will be offered a special discount on the new editor.

                  Will it be capable to apply NoteTab-Clips to unicode files?

                  Thanks
                  Melchior
                  --
                • Marcelo Bastos
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 30, 2009
                    By the way, NoteTab 5.8 is out. Use "Help/Check for Updates" to get the
                    new version.

                    Marcelo

                    -=-=-
                    No wanna work... wanna bang on keyboard!
                    * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.15