Re: [NTB] How to sort by number?

  • loro
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2009
      Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote:
      >Is there a special way to sort a numbered list according to the *value*
      >of the number?

      I'd use Join Lines (Modify menu) to make sure each list item is a
      single line. Then Sort (on the same menu) should work.

      >How do I "append to file" a carriage return?

      ^%nl% seems to work, ^p does not. See the section about variables in Clip Help.

      Lotta
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2009
        Brother Gabriel-Marie (brgabriel@...) wrote (in part) (on
        2009-03-07 at 18:45):

        > Is there a special way to sort a numbered list according to the
        > *value*
        > of the number?

        I usually use Modify-Lines-AutoNumber and choose a starting number
        higher than max lines eg 1001 if num lines less than 1000. Quick test
        indicates that if you instead start at 1, Notetab will automatically
        insert sufficient spaces so it can be sorted.

        If you already have lines numbered but left justified you can do
        something like this:
        (say largest number is 1234 starting at 1)
        ^!replace "^" >> "0000" rwais
        this gives lines like:
        00001
        000012
        0000123
        00001234
        then
        ^!replace "^(\d+)(\d{4})" >> "$2" rwais

        this has the effect of stripping leading zeros sufficient to leave 4
        digit left-zero filled numbers.

        > And
        >
        > How do I "append to file" a carriage return?

        ^!appendtofile "D:\Temp\NoName01.txt" ^%NL%
        Note: ^%NL% = new line (CR/LF pair) can be found in Help index (thank
        you Sheri - I think she added them).
        I've added to my Favorites in clip script variables a topic I named
        "Preset variables" because I can never remember them!