"Open With" not working

  • Geoff Lane
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009
      Hi All,

      NoteTab Std 5.7b/fv (full version) on Windows XP Pro SP3

      I'm not sure whether this is something to do with NoteTab Std or
      whether it's a coincidence that NoteTab is the only application with
      which I've seen this issue:

      I want to open a Linux .conf file that I've FTP'd over to my Windows
      machine. I have no default application for .conf files, so I have to
      right-click the file and choose Open. Windows responds with a dialog
      box that lets me choose to select the program from a list.

      Doing this returns a dialog box with a list of programs. Notepad is
      recommended and NoteTab does not appear in the list of "Other
      Programs". I can browse to and select
      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Std 5\NoteTab.exe
      but when I click OK in the file browser to return to the program list,
      NoteTab is still not available and so I can't open the file with
      NoteTab.

      The only ways I can open these files in NoteTab is from within
      NoteTab, replacing Notepad with NoteTab and selecting Notepad as the
      application in which to open the file, or opening NoteTab and dragging
      files from Windows Explorer to NoteTab.

      Can anyone shed light on what's going wrong?

      TIA,

      --
      Geoff Lane
      Cornwall, UK
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
        Hi
        what I would do is to go the config file and open it with notetab and do it
        that way ,you do not need to go to open with.
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > NoteTab Std 5.7b/fv (full version) on Windows XP Pro SP3
        >
        > I'm not sure whether this is something to do with NoteTab Std or
        > whether it's a coincidence that NoteTab is the only application with
        > which I've seen this issue:
        >
        > I want to open a Linux .conf file that I've FTP'd over to my Windows
        > machine. I have no default application for .conf files, so I have to
        > right-click the file and choose Open. Windows responds with a dialog
        > box that lets me choose to select the program from a list.
        >
        > Doing this returns a dialog box with a list of programs. Notepad is
        > recommended and NoteTab does not appear in the list of "Other
        > Programs". I can browse to and select
        > C:\Program Files\NoteTab Std 5\NoteTab.exe
        > but when I click OK in the file browser to return to the program list,
        > NoteTab is still not available and so I can't open the file with
        > NoteTab.
        >
        > The only ways I can open these files in NoteTab is from within
        > NoteTab, replacing Notepad with NoteTab and selecting Notepad as the
        > application in which to open the file, or opening NoteTab and dragging
        > files from Windows Explorer to NoteTab.
        >
        > Can anyone shed light on what's going wrong?
        >
        > TIA,
        >
        > --
        > Geoff Lane
        > Cornwall, UK

      • Geoff Lane
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
          On Tuesday, February 3, 2009, Dave wrote:

          > what I would do is to go the config file and open it with notetab and do it
          > that way ,you do not need to go to open with.
          ---

          Hi Dave,

          I'm not sure what you mean here. I browse to the config file in
          Windows Explorer and no matter whether I go to the File menu or
          right-click the file, I still have to choose Open With ...
          NoteTab isn't in the list of available applications with which to open
          the file, and even if I browse to and select the NoteTab.exe
          executable, Windows still won't open the file in NoteTab. This makes
          me suspect that NoteTab didn't install correctly but I'm unsure how to
          correct this since a reinstall didn't fix the issue.

          Am I missing something?

          --
          Geoff Lane
          Cornwall, UK
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Lane <geoff@...> wrote:

            > On Tuesday, February 3, 2009, Dave wrote:
            >
            > > what I would do is to go the config file and open it with notetab
            > > and do it that way ,you do not need to go to open with.
            > ---
            >
            > Hi Dave,
            >
            > I'm not sure what you mean here. I browse to the config file in
            > Windows Explorer and no matter whether I go to the File menu or
            > right-click the file, I still have to choose Open With ...
            > NoteTab isn't in the list of available applications with which to
            > open the file, and even if I browse to and select the NoteTab.exe
            > executable, Windows still won't open the file in NoteTab. This
            > makes me suspect that NoteTab didn't install correctly but I'm
            > unsure how to correct this since a reinstall didn't fix the
            > issue.
            >
            > Am I missing something?

            I've always used SendTo to send a file from Explorer to NoteTab. I
            have (in XP) a Windows shortcut for NoteTab in the folder C:\Documents
            and Settings\MyUserName\SendTo. That puts NoteTab on the list of
            options when I right-click a file in Explorer and select Send To.
            Works fine.

            Just tried Open With, and not only did it not open the file in
            NoteTab, it oddly tried to open it in Nero (CD/DVD burner). Weird.

            Regards,
            Sheri
          • ebbtidalflats
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
              Geoff,

              Sorry, I only have a workaround solution, since I have the same
              problem. Plus some facts observed on MY computers.

              First the workaround:
              You CAN run NoteTab from a batchfile, and you CAN register the special
              extension with that batchfile. Your batchfile must pass the filename
              to open to the NoteTab commandline.

              in the batchfile, something like

              @start C:\PROGRA~1\NTP\NotePro.exe %1

              Look up the start command in windows help,

              Observations on MY NoteTab installations:

              Fact 1. My NoteTab Pro does NOT show up in the offerings
              of program choices inb Open With.
              Fact 2. My NoteTab Light DOES show up !
              Fact 3. I have NOT installed NoteTab's default path
              but chose to use a different path name.
              Fact 4. I use NoteTab Pro with a custom data path
              on a USB drive.
              Fact 5. This problem has existed prior to NTb ver 5.

              Fact 6. I have frequent mystewry crashes with NoteTab, that nobody
              else can duplicate. I also have observed, that at times NoteTab does
              not shut down (I run it from a batchfile)

              Could it be that NoteTab doesn't register properly, if the path is
              changed? if the program doesn't use the Documents and Settings folder?
              if you do not elect to "replace notepad" in Help?

              Windows DOES see my NoteTab as an installed program (), but not in
              list of applications in "Open With" window.

              Even MORE CURIOUS, NoteTab Lite DOES show up as an option in the open
              with window! It too has a NoteTab.INI file in the program folder.

              Cheers,

              Eb

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Lane <geoff@...> wrote:

              > NoteTab Std 5.7b/fv (full version) on Windows XP Pro SP3

              > I want to open a Linux .conf file that I've FTP'd over to my Windows

              > NoteTab is still not available and so I can't open the file with
              > NoteTab.
            • Geoff Lane
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
                On Tuesday, February 3, 2009, ebbtidalflats wrote:

                > Sorry, I only have a workaround solution, since I have the same
                > problem. Plus some facts observed on MY computers.
                ---

                Thanks for that. It's (sort of) comforting to hear that I'm not the
                only one with this issue. AFAICT, the ".conf" files are all text files
                no matter where they come from, so your suggestion should work.

                Again thanks,

                --
                Geoff Lane
                Cornwall, UK
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
                  ebbtidalflats wrote:

                  > Geoff,
                  >
                  > Sorry, I only have a workaround solution, since I have the same
                  > problem. Plus some facts observed on MY computers.
                  >
                  > First the workaround:
                  > You CAN run NoteTab from a batchfile, and you CAN register the special
                  > extension with that batchfile. Your batchfile must pass the filename
                  > to open to the NoteTab commandline.
                  >
                  > in the batchfile, something like
                  >
                  > @start C:\PROGRA~1\NTP\NotePro.exe %1
                  >
                  > Look up the start command in windows help,
                  >
                  > Observations on MY NoteTab installations:
                  >
                  > Fact 1. My NoteTab Pro does NOT show up in the offerings
                  > of program choices inb Open With.
                  > Fact 2. My NoteTab Light DOES show up !
                  > Fact 3. I have NOT installed NoteTab's default path
                  > but chose to use a different path name.
                  > Fact 4. I use NoteTab Pro with a custom data path
                  > on a USB drive.
                  > Fact 5. This problem has existed prior to NTb ver 5.
                  >
                  > Fact 6. I have frequent mystewry crashes with NoteTab, that nobody
                  > else can duplicate. I also have observed, that at times NoteTab does
                  > not shut down (I run it from a batchfile)
                  >
                  > Could it be that NoteTab doesn't register properly, if the path is
                  > changed? if the program doesn't use the Documents and Settings folder?
                  > if you do not elect to "replace notepad" in Help?
                  >
                  > Windows DOES see my NoteTab as an installed program (), but not in
                  > list of applications in "Open With" window.
                  >
                  > Even MORE CURIOUS, NoteTab Lite DOES show up as an option in the open
                  > with window! It too has a NoteTab.INI file in the program folder.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Eb

                  Another workaround solution may be OpenExpert (www.baxbex.com), a
                  freeware (free for home users) shell extension for Explorer.
                  Instead of left double clicking in Explorer you rightclick to open a
                  context menu, to which you add the program(s) of your choice to open a file.

                  I have not managed to reproduce your problem in any way. My machine
                  (WinXPPro SP3, NTBPro 5.7b, NTB replaces Notepad)*always* does what you
                  want your computer to do!

                  Cheers,
                  Gerard

                  --
                  Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                  2312 ZD Leiden
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
                    On Tuesday, February 3, 2009, Gerard Huijing wrote:

                    > Another workaround solution may be OpenExpert (www.baxbex.com), a
                    > freeware (free for home users) shell extension for Explorer.
                    > Instead of left double clicking in Explorer you rightclick to open a
                    > context menu, to which you add the program(s) of your choice to open a file.
                    ---

                    I've now got things working. ebbtidalflats suggestion to use a batch
                    file caused no end of issues and I just got scores of new windows
                    opening at half-second intervals until I managed to Ctrl+Break my way
                    out! However, it was ebbtidalflats's post that got me thinking in the
                    right direction.

                    The following worked for me:
                    1. In Windows Explorer, choose Tools->Folder Options, then click the
                    File Types tab.

                    2. Scroll to the .conf extension, then click Advanced. If no Advanced
                    button is visible, first click Restore.

                    3. Edit the open and edit events to:
                    "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Std 5\NoteTab.exe" %1
                    Replace the path and executable filename to match your installation
                    and remember to include the double quotes.

                    .conf files are now associated with NoteTab Std on my system and I've
                    even got NoteTab Std as an option in "Open With ..."

                    --
                    Geoff Lane
                    Cornwall, UK
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
                      Geoff Lane wrote:

                      > I've now got things working. ebbtidalflats suggestion to use a batch
                      > file caused no end of issues and I just got scores of new windows
                      > opening at half-second intervals until I managed to Ctrl+Break my way
                      > out! However, it was ebbtidalflats's post that got me thinking in the
                      > right direction.
                      >
                      > The following worked for me:
                      > 1. In Windows Explorer, choose Tools->Folder Options, then click the
                      > File Types tab.
                      >
                      > 2. Scroll to the .conf extension, then click Advanced. If no Advanced
                      > button is visible, first click Restore.
                      >
                      > 3. Edit the open and edit events to:
                      > "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Std 5\NoteTab.exe" %1
                      > Replace the path and executable filename to match your installation
                      > and remember to include the double quotes.
                      >
                      > .conf files are now associated with NoteTab Std on my system and I've
                      > even got NoteTab Std as an option in "Open With ..."
                      >
                      > --
                      > Geoff Lane
                      > Cornwall, UK

                      Good to hear that your problem is solved, Geoff.

                      When I followed the steps you describe (Folder Options etc.), I found
                      that there was no '.conf' or 'conf' in the list to scroll to (so I would
                      have had to create it).

                      Interestingly, under the following key:

                      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.conf\OpenWithList

                      there is my list with the programs I chose to open the .conf file!

                      So the .conf stuff is indeed created and listed somewhere.

                      I did not, however, choose to associate .conf with any of the listed
                      programs (removed the tick from "Always uses the selected program ...").
                      I wonder how this all works.
                      But this is becoming rather off topic.

                      Cheers,
                      Gerard

                      -----
                      Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                      2312 ZD Leiden
                      Netherlands
                      inboxgen@...
                    • Geoff Lane
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
                        On Tuesday, February 3, 2009, Gerard Huijing wrote:

                        > When I followed the steps you describe (Folder Options etc.), I found
                        > that there was no '.conf' or 'conf' in the list to scroll to (so I would
                        > have had to create it).
                        ---

                        You have to create the file type first - my bad for not mentioning
                        that. FWIW, I did that initially with Notepad and then edited the file
                        type as described in my earlier post.

                        HTH,

                        --
                        Geoff Lane
                        Cornwall, UK
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
                          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Lane <geoff@...> wrote:

                          > On Tuesday, February 3, 2009, Gerard Huijing wrote:
                          >
                          > > When I followed the steps you describe (Folder Options etc.), I found
                          > > that there was no '.conf' or 'conf' in the list to scroll to (so I
                          would
                          > > have had to create it).
                          > ---
                          >
                          > You have to create the file type first

                          Do you mean 'create a file of that type'? or something else?
                          I just renamed a text file to .conf to test this approach, and used a
                          test batchfile, that echod the '%1' argument.

                          Worked first try.

                          ANyway, Glad you got it working. I'll have to try what you did.

                          Cheers,

                          Eb
                        • hsavage
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
                            Geoff Lane wrote:
                            > Hi All,
                            >
                            > NoteTab Std 5.7b/v (full version) on Windows XP Pro SP3
                            >
                            > I'm not sure whether this is something to do with NoteTab Std or
                            > whether it's a coincidence that NoteTab is the only application with
                            > which I've seen this issue:
                            >
                            > I want to open a Linux .con file that I've FTP'd over to my Windows
                            > machine. I have no default application for .con files, so I have to
                            > right-click the file and choose Open. Windows responds with a dialog
                            > box that lets me choose to select the program from a list.
                            >
                            > Can anyone shed light on what's going wrong?
                            >
                            > TIA,

                            Geoff,

                            Of all the responses to this problem that I read I didn't see the one
                            basic suggestion that I tried, and, it seemed to work.

                            The only I could check was to rename a .txt file to .con.

                            Go into NotePro - View >> Options >> Associations - and add con to the
                            Associations list. I did and when double-clicked the file was loaded
                            immediately into NoteTab.

                            ºvº SL_day# 034 - created 2009.02.03_13.40.40

                            Maybe it's true that life begins at fifty .. But everything else starts
                            to wear out, fall out, or spread out.
                            • Phyllis Diller

                            € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                          • hsavage
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
                              hsavage wrote:
                              > Geoff Lane wrote:
                              >> Hi All,
                              >>
                              >> NoteTab Std 5.7b/v (full version) on Windows XP Pro SP3
                              >>
                              >> Can anyone shed light on what's going wrong?
                              >>
                              >> TIA,
                              >
                              > Geoff,
                              >
                              > Of all the responses to this problem that I read I didn't see the one
                              > basic suggestion that I tried, and, it seemed to work.
                              >
                              > The only I could check was to rename a .txt file to .con.
                              >
                              > Go into NotePro - View >> Options >> Associations - and add con to the
                              > Associations list. I did and when double-clicked the file was loaded
                              > immediately into NoteTab.

                              Geoff,

                              Sorry about the typo, should read;

                              Go into NotePro - View >> Options >> Associations - and add CONF to the
                              Associations list. I did and when double-clicked the file was loaded
                              immediately into NoteTab.

                              ºvº SL_day# 034 - created 2009.02.03_13.57.55