Re: [NTB] Bug still not fixed? Clip fix, maybe.

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
      Jeff Scism wrote:
      > Ugly Me wrote:

      Ugly,

      I don't think this is a bug. I think it's working exactly as designed.

      Notetab recognizes if the file is a Unicode text file or UTF-8 Web page
      and makes it Read-Only, within NoteTab, upon loading.

      This doesn't necessarily mean the disk file is Read-Only also.

      I run into this now and then but until now it wasn't such a problem that it
      required writing a clip.

      I have written a clip now that should check all open files and those that
      are Unicode text files or UTF-8 Web pages should change status to allow
      editing. I haven't a very good way of testing this clip because I seldom
      run into a Unicode or UTF-8 Web page.

      I realize this is not the clips list but I'll insert the clip and CC this
      message to the clips list, which you can put into a clipbar, and the next
      time you have several files loaded you can run the clip on the open files.

      As I said, I can't reliably test it but, it should work.

      H="Change Loaded UniCodeFile Write-ability"
      ^!Set %docindex%=C:\Documents and Settings\User\desktop\emdoc.emd
      ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
      ^!Set %openfilenum%=^$GetDocCount$; %openfileindex%=0
      :LOOP
      ^!Inc %openfileindex%
      ^!SetDocIndex ^%openfileindex%
      ;
      ; Changes the NoteTab Read-Only status if FileName
      ; is a Unicode text file or UTF-8 Web page
      ;
      ^!IfFileUnicode "^$GetDocName(^%openfileindex%)$" NEXT ELSE SKIP
      ^!KeyBoard Shift+Ctrl+R
      ;
      ; the next line would help if the disk file were read-only but I doubt
      that it is
      ; ^!SetFileAttr "^$GetDocName(^%openfileindex)$" -r
      ^!If ^%openfileindex% = ^%openfilenum% NEXT ELSE LOOP
      ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(^%docindex%)$

      ºvº SL_day# 032 - created 2009.02.01_23.14.12

      Life is a thirst.
      • Leonard Michaels

      € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
        hsavage wrote:
        > Jeff Scism wrote:
        >> Ugly Me wrote:

        All, Ugly,

        Sorry about this, the first line in the clip above was changed by
        copying and
        pasting into the email.

        This should be the first Line.

        ^!Set %docindex%=^##

        The line allows returning focus to the same file that was focused when the
        clip was started.

        ºvº SL_day# 033 - created 2009.02.02_07.32.15

        Man is what he believes.
        • Anton Chekhov

        € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
      • Scott Fordin
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
          > Ugly Me wrote:

          I've stayed away from this thread because of the sometimes nasty tone
          it has taken, but I have to say, Ugly Me, that your comment about Jody
          was unjustifiably callous. There are many good people in this group who
          have spent a lot of cycles trying to help you and others, but perhaps
          no one was more generous with his time and patience than Jody. Being a
          "pest" is one thing; being cold and insensitive is quite another.

          Scott
        • Ugly Me
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
            >I've stayed away from this thread because of the sometimes nasty tone
            >it has taken, but I have to say, Ugly Me, that your comment about Jody
            >was unjustifiably callous. There are many good people in this group who
            >have spent a lot of cycles trying to help you and others, but perhaps
            >no one was more generous with his time and patience than Jody. Being a
            >"pest" is one thing; being cold and insensitive is quite another.

            What can I say, Scott? Jody may have been instrumental to this group and to NoteTab in general but we did clash. While I wish it didn't happen, it did, nevertheless. While she probably did everything the way it was meant to be done, I just didn't fit in. Apparently I still don't as evidenced by this recent but ongoing episode. While I saw it as an ongoing bug, to others like yourself, to paraphrase a cliché, it was a "feature." Again my hat goes off to those for whom the issue was quite obvious. In short, Jody was not the problem - I was, and we clashed. I never meant to say it was her fault.

            .

          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 3, 2009
              Ugly Me (ugly@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-02-02 at
              15:12):
              > What can I say, Scott? Jody may have been instrumental to this group
              > and to NoteTab in general but we did clash. While I wish it didn't
              > happen, it did, nevertheless. While she probably did everything the
              > way it was meant to be done, I just didn't fit in. Apparently I still
              > don't as evidenced by this recent but ongoing episode. While I saw it
              > as an ongoing bug, to others like yourself, to paraphrase a cliché,
              > it was a "feature." Again my hat goes off to those for whom the issue
              > was quite obvious. In short, Jody was not the problem - I was, and we
              > clashed. I never meant to say it was her fault.

              Hi Ugly ;-)
              If you Google [Unicode2ascii] you will find a number of programs that
              will convert a Unicode file to ascii (with possible information loss if
              they actually HAVE to be Unicode because of special characters they
              contain - but I assume this is not a problem for you).
              I assume that they will process a batch of files - if there is any
              advantage to having your more recent (but still ancient) version of
              Notetab you could run one of the conversion programs after retrieving
              and before editing.

              btw: Jody was a husband, father and grand-father. Not to worry - back in
              2001 when I first used Notetab I made the same mistake.

              iles - if there is any
              advantage to having your more recent (but still ancient) version of
              Notetab you could run one of the conversion programs after retrieving
              and before editing.<br>
              btw: Jody was a husband, father and grand-father. Not to worry - back
              in 2001 when I first used Notetab I made the same mistake.<br>
              <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
              Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)</pre>