Question: Insert

  • Han Dinh
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2009
      Hello all

      I am an editor for a Vietnamese e-magazine. I have a question and hope to have an answer from the group.

      In the attached html file that I edited with NoteTab, typically in section II (Essays), I have to manually INSERT the break <br> to move to the next line.  It is so labor intensive to do so whenever I want to move to the next line.  Is there a better way ?

      I tried to use the <pre> command, but then the text does not wrap around anymore...So, I have to resort back to the old way, i.e. manually INSERT the break <br> to every new line...

      Thank you

      Han

    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2009
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Han Dinh <dinh.han@...> wrote:

        > Hello all
        >
        > I am an editor for a Vietnamese e-magazine. I have a question and
        > hope to have an answer from the group.
        >
        > In the attached html file that I edited with NoteTab, typically
        > in section II (Essays), I have to manually INSERT the break <br>
        > to move to the next line. It is so labor intensive to do so
        > whenever I want to move to the next line. Is there a better way ?
        >
        > I tried to use the <pre> command, but then the text does not wrap
        > around anymore...So, I have to resort back to the old way, i.e.
        > manually INSERT the break <br> to every new line...

        You could try use the replace dialog or a clip to put "<br>" in front
        of all hard breaks after you have finished composing an essay. Using a
        regular expression, you could replace only those hard breaks that
        don't already have a <br> tag.

        Regards,
        Sheri
      • Han Dinh
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2, 2009
          Hi Sheri

          Thank you but can you be more specific ? I am not sure that I understand what you meant...These essays were not written by me. They were written by someone else and sent to me to put them on the e-magazine..I have to insert the <br> manually to create a space in between .

          Han

          > I am an editor for a Vietnamese e-magazine. I have a question and
          > hope to have an answer from the group.
          >
          > In the attached html file that I edited with NoteTab, typically
          > in section II (Essays), I have to manually INSERT the break <br>
          > to move to the next line. It is so labor intensive to do so
          > whenever I want to move to the next line. Is there a better way ?
          >
          > I tried to use the <pre> command, but then the text does not wrap
          > around anymore...So, I have to resort back to the old way, i.e.
          > manually INSERT the break <br> to every new line...

          You could try use the replace dialog or a clip to put "<br>" in front
          of all hard breaks after you have finished composing an essay. Using a
          regular expression, you could replace only those hard breaks that
          don't already have a <br> tag.

          Regards,
          Sheri

        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2, 2009
            Han Dinh wrote:
            > Hi Sheri
            >
            > Thank you but can you be more specific ? I am not sure that I understand what you meant...These essays were not written by me. They were written by someone else and sent to me to put them on the e-magazine..I have to insert the <br> manually to create a space in between .
            >
            > Han

            Hi Han,

            Our group does not allow attachments, so we are not seeing what you are
            working on. My guess is that there is a simple way to search and
            replace to add the br's automatically.

            For example if you click on replace and replace ^P^P with <br/>^P^P does
            that do it?

            Also, you can highlight the text and then on the toolbar select modify,
            document to html, with paragraph tags.

            Does one of those solve your issue?

            Feel free to send me the attachment directly so that I can see what you
            are talking about.

            Don
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2009
              Hi Han,

              [Copied to NoteTab HTML list]

              On 02 Feb 09 03:48 Han Dinh <dinh.han@...> said:

              > In the attached html file that I edited with NoteTab, typically in
              > section II (Essays), I have to manually INSERT the break <br> to
              > move to the next line.  It is so labor intensive to do so whenever I
              > want to move to the next line.  Is there a better way ?
              >
              > I tried to use the <pre> command, but then the text does not wrap
              > around anymore...So, I have to resort back to the old way, i.e.
              > manually INSERT the break <br> to every new line...

              [Note that attachments are not allowed on NoteTab lists. If you need
              to share a file upload it at:
              or
              http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-html/files/
              as appropriate.]

              I am confused by your question. You say you want to force a line break
              with the <br> tag, but complain that the <pre> tag forces a line
              break. There must be more to this problem that you have stated so far.
              (The <pre> tag is intended for certain kinds of text where lines
              endings are key, e.g. program code or poetry.)

              One problem with forced line breaks, using <br>, is that if a
              visitor's window is narrower than the one you design the page for
              then, on their machine, text can appear very broken with alternate
              short lines, caused by the forced breaks.

              For the text of an essay it would be normal to place each paragraph
              within <p> tags. Browsers will then wrap the text within the block
              that contains the <p> tag, often this would be the full width of the
              visitor's window, whatever its size, but possibly narrower depending
              on what tags the <p> is contained in.

              Perhaps you have a page with an absolutely positioned image on it.
              That can create problems for wrapping text. To help we need to see the
              file. Either use one of the links above or upload the file to your
              site and povide a URL so that others can visit it.

              It may be better to follow up your question on the HTML list, if your
              initial question turns out to have been inappropriate.

              Greg
            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2, 2009
                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

                > Also, you can highlight the text and then on the toolbar select
                > modify, document to html, with paragraph tags.

                This is probably the best way to go, but it looks like you only
                actually get paragraph tags where there are two hard breaks in the
                text. Single spaced text gets <br /> (at least in my little test).

                Regards,
                Sheri
              • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 2, 2009
                  Sheri wrote:
                  > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
                  >> Also, you can highlight the text and then on the toolbar select
                  >> modify, document to html, with paragraph tags.
                  >
                  > This is probably the best way to go, but it looks like you only
                  > actually get paragraph tags where there are two hard breaks in the
                  > text. Single spaced text gets <br /> (at least in my little test).
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Sheri

                  Correct. But it makes white space in plain text content be honored in
                  html. That is also true of multiple spaces which become   entities.
                • Han Dinh
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 2, 2009
                    Hi Greg

                    Thank you for letting me know that attachment is not allowed.  Here is the link to my file

                    http://giaomua.freehomepage.com/GM82Test.html

                    As you may see, in section II, which is essay section in Vietnamese, I have to insert a <br>every time to move to the next line, otherwise, every essay will be in one huge paragraph.  I tried to use the <pre> command and it did seperate each paragraph without inserting the break, but then the text does not wrap around the page any more

                    I am asking if there is a command in html or NoteTab so that we do not have to insert the <br> evey time.

                    Thanks

                    Han

                    http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ notetab/files/

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 2, 2009
                      Han Dinh wrote:
                      > Hi Greg
                      >
                      > Thank you for letting me know that attachment is not allowed. Here is the link to my file
                      >
                      > http://giaomua.freehomepage.com/GM82Test.html
                      >
                      > As you may see, in section II, which is essay section in Vietnamese, I have to insert a <br>every time to move to the next line, otherwise, every essay will be in one huge paragraph. I tried to use the <pre> command and it did seperate each paragraph without inserting the break, but then the text does not wrap around the page any more
                      >
                      > I am asking if there is a command in html or NoteTab so that we do not have to insert the <br> evey time.
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Han

                      I am afraid Vietnamese is Chinese to me :-) I don't get it completely.

                      But you mean like this:
                      Tru+.c ghe' dde^'n nha` Hoa`i\. Tru+.c la` thie^'u u'y bie^.t ddo^.ng
                      qua^n la`m o+? Qua?ng\. Cha`ng co' bie^.t danh: Tru+.c Lai, hoa(.c
                      Tru+.c to'c va`ng\. Ma` to'c cha`ng ta va`ng tha^.t, va`ng cha'y nhu+
                      ra^u ngo^ gia`\. Bo^~ng Hoa`i su+.c nho+' ca^u chuye^.n tha^.t xa?y ra
                      the^' na^`y: <br>
                      Ho^m ddo', ddoa`n xe ngu+`ng la.i be^n cho+., dde^? anh chi. em ddi mua
                      thu+'c a(n\. Ca'c ba.n ru? nhau da.o cho+i quanh pho^' cho+. nho?\.
                      Rie^ng Hoa`i cha'n na~n, ra^`u ri~ ngo^`i mo^.t mi`nh tru+o+'c cabin xe
                      GMC\. Na`ng ho.c la.i 350 ba`i gia?i dde^` thi Toa'n Tu' Ta`i Toa`n\.
                      Sa('p dde^'n nga`y thi ro^`i, kho^ng lo ga.o cho ky~ thi`\... ru.ng nhu+
                      chie^'c la' va`ng ro+i trong gio'\. <br>

                      Had you started with that in plain text, highlighted it as I suggested
                      and then do modify>to html>with paragraph tags, it would take care of
                      itself. Every return would have a br tag added.
                    • Han Dinh
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 2, 2009
                        Sheri/Don

                        Not sure that I made myself clear or not, but please see the link that I responded to Greg that highlighted the problem that I am having..Basically, when someone send me an essay which has up to 50, 80 paragraphs, then when I edit it in NoteTab, I have to insert the <br> at the end of every paragraph to separate every one of them..

                        Thanks

                        Han

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 2, 2009
                          Hi Don

                          Thank you very much. By highlighting the text and use the modify command with paragraph tags, it did indeed solve the problem that I have experienced for years.  I truly appreciate your help with this.

                          I also noticed after I did successfully use the modify command, the actual html has some strange characters added as below.

                          Before using the command:

                          " Tru+.c ghe' dde^'n nha` Hoa`i\. Tru+.c la` thie^'u u'y bie^.t ddo^.ng qua^n la`m o+? Qua?ng\. Cha`ng co' bie^.t danh: Tru+.c Lai, hoa(.c Tru+.c to'c va`ng\. Ma` to'c cha`ng ta va`ng tha^.t, va`ng cha'y nhu+ ra^u ngo^ gia`\. Bo^~ng Hoa`i su+.c nho+' ca^u chuye^.n tha^.t xa?y ra the^' na^`y:  <br>
                          Ho^m ddo', ddoa`n xe ngu+`ng la.i be^n cho+., dde^? anh chi. em ddi mua thu+'c a(n\. Ca'c ba.n ru? nhau da.o cho+i quanh pho^' cho+. nho?\. Rie^ng Hoa`i cha'n na~n, ra^`u ri~ ngo^`i mo^.t mi`nh tru+o+'c cabin xe GMC\. Na`ng ho.c la.i 350 ba`i gia?i dde^` thi Toa'n Tu' Ta`i Toa`n\. Sa('p dde^'n nga`y thi ro^`i, kho^ng lo ga.o cho ky~ thi`\... ru.ng nhu+ chie^'c la' va`ng ro+i trong gio'\. <br>"

                          After using the command it becomes:

                          "Tru+.c gh&eacute; ?e^'n nh&agrave; Ho&agrave;i. Tru+.c l&agrave; thie^'u &uacute;y bie^.t ?o^.ng qu&acirc;n l&agrave;m o+? Qua?ng. Ch&agrave;ng c&oacute; bie^.t danh: Tru+.c Lai, hoa(.c Tru+.c t&oacute;c v&agrave;ng. M&agrave; t&oacute;c ch&agrave;ng ta v&agrave;ng tha^.t, v&agrave;ng ch&aacute;y nhu+ r&acirc;u ng&ocirc; gi&agrave;. Bo^~ng Ho&agrave;i su+.c nho+' c&acirc;u chuye^.n tha^.t xa?y ra the^' na^`y:<BR>
                          H&ocirc;m ?&oacute;, ?o&agrave;n xe ngu+`ng la.i b&ecirc;n cho+., ?e^? anh chi. em ?i mua thu+'c a(n. C&aacute;c ba.n ru? nhau da.o cho+i quanh pho^' cho+. nho?. Ri&ecirc;ng Ho&agrave;i ch&aacute;n n&atilde;n, ra^`u ri~ ngo^`i mo^.t m&igrave;nh tru+o+'c cabin xe GMC. N&agrave;ng ho.c la.i 350 b&agrave;i gia?i ?e^` thi To&aacute;n T&uacute; T&agrave;i To&agrave;n. Sa('p ?e^'n ng&agrave;y thi ro^`i, kh&ocirc;ng lo ga.o cho ky~ th&igrave;... ru.ng nhu+ chie^'c l&aacute; v&agrave;ng ro+i trong gi&oacute;.<BR>

                          Is this normal ?  It does not affect the reading in the browser Vietnamse, but if I try to view it in html, it does make very hard to read..

                          Han

                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 2, 2009
                            Han Dinh wrote:
                            > Hi Don
                            >
                            > Thank you very much. By highlighting the text and use the modify command with paragraph tags, it did indeed solve the problem that I have experienced for years. I truly appreciate your help with this.
                            >
                            > I also noticed after I did successfully use the modify command, the actual html has some strange characters added as below.
                            >
                            > Before using the command:
                            >
                            > " Tru+.c ghe' dde^'n nha` Hoa`i\. Tru+.c la` thie^'u u'y bie^.t ddo^.ng qua^n la`m o+? Qua?ng\. Cha`ng co' bie^.t danh: Tru+.c Lai, hoa(.c Tru+.c to'c va`ng\. Ma` to'c cha`ng ta va`ng tha^.t, va`ng cha'y nhu+ ra^u ngo^ gia`\. Bo^~ng Hoa`i su+.c nho+' ca^u chuye^.n tha^.t xa?y ra the^' na^`y: <br>
                            > Ho^m ddo', ddoa`n xe ngu+`ng la.i be^n cho+., dde^? anh chi. em ddi mua thu+'c a(n\. Ca'c ba.n ru? nhau da.o cho+i quanh pho^' cho+. nho?\. Rie^ng Hoa`i cha'n na~n, ra^`u ri~ ngo^`i mo^.t mi`nh tru+o+'c cabin xe GMC\. Na`ng ho.c la.i 350 ba`i gia?i dde^` thi Toa'n Tu' Ta`i Toa`n\. Sa('p dde^'n nga`y thi ro^`i, kho^ng lo ga.o cho ky~ thi`\... ru.ng nhu+ chie^'c la' va`ng ro+i trong gio'\. <br>"
                            >
                            > After using the command it becomes:
                            >

                            > "Tru+.c gh&eacute; ?e^'n nh&agrave; Ho&agrave;i. Tru+.c l&agrave; thie^'u &uacute;y bie^.t ?o^.ng qu&acirc;n l&agrave;m o+? Qua?ng. Ch&agrave;ng c&oacute; bie^.t danh: Tru+.c Lai, hoa(.c Tru+.c t&oacute;c v&agrave;ng. M&agrave; t&oacute;c ch&agrave;ng ta v&agrave;ng tha^.t, v&agrave;ng ch&aacute;y nhu+ r&acirc;u ng&ocirc; gi&agrave;. Bo^~ng Ho&agrave;i su+.c nho+' c&acirc;u chuye^.n tha^.t xa?y ra the^' na^`y:<BR>
                            > H&ocirc;m ?&oacute;, ?o&agrave;n xe ngu+`ng la.i b&ecirc;n cho+., ?e^? anh chi. em ?i mua thu+'c a(n. C&aacute;c ba.n ru? nhau da.o cho+i quanh pho^' cho+. nho?. Ri&ecirc;ng Ho&agrave;i ch&aacute;n n&atilde;n, ra^`u ri~ ngo^`i mo^.t m&igrave;nh tru+o+'c cabin xe GMC. N&agrave;ng ho.c la.i 350 b&agrave;i gia?i ?e^` thi To&aacute;n T&uacute; T&agrave;i To&agrave;n. Sa('p ?e^'n ng&agrave;y thi ro^`i, kh&ocirc;ng lo ga.o cho ky~ th&igrave;... ru.ng nhu+ chie^'c l&aacute; v&agrave;ng ro+i trong gi&oacute;.<BR>
                            >

                            > Is this normal ? It does not affect the reading in the browser Vietnamse, but if I try to view it in html, it does make very hard to read..
                            >

                            > Han

                            Yes and no. What is happening is that all "special" characters are
                            being converted to their counterpart character.

                            for example,
                            & represents the character &

                            I don't know the rest because they are for a language I don't know. But
                            if you look up ú and â and so forth you can find them.

                            Try using the third choice in that menu with no character conversion. I
                            don't know if that will or will not preserve the paragraphs and line
                            breaks like you want, but since it is readable ...

                            There are also clips that can do and undo character conversions as I recall.
                          • Buzz
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 2, 2009
                              approving post, but be reminded this list does not allow attachments

                              ModJulie

                              Hi
                              This is my first entry and I am not sure what you want, but is it
                              something like this
                              attachment. If so, you can view the message source. let me know if I
                              understand
                              what you want. I'll have a few comments in addition.

                              Han Dinh wrote:

                              > Hello all
                              >
                              > I am an editor for a Vietnamese e-magazine. I have a question and hope
                              > to have an answer from the group.
                              >
                              > In the attached html file that I edited with NoteTab, typically in
                              > section II (Essays), I have to manually INSERT the break <br> to move
                              > to the next line. It is so labor intensive to do so whenever I want
                              > to move to the next line. Is there a better way ?
                              >
                              > I tried to use the <pre> command, but then the text does not wrap
                              > around anymore...So, I have to resort back to the old way, i.e.
                              > manually INSERT the break <br> to every new line...
                              >
                              > Thank you
                              >
                              > Han

                              > *

                              > Database version: 5.11660
                              > http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor-antivirus/
                              > <http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/>
                              > *

                              Database version: 5.11670

                            • Sheri
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 3, 2009
                                Hi Han,

                                I think at a minimum you would want to substitute html entites any of
                                the following characters: & < >

                                Otherwise there will be issues if you ever try to automatically remove
                                tags or entities.

                                Do you use NoteTab's clips feature? You could easily have a customized
                                solution (clip) that would do exactly what you want. Come on over to
                                the clips list for help with that.

                                Sheri
                              • Han Dinh
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 3, 2009
                                  Hi Sheri

                                  Thank you. I have never used clip before and will try to learn more about it.

                                  Han

                                  I think at a minimum you would want to substitute html entites any of
                                  the following characters: & < >

                                  Otherwise there will be issues if you ever try to automatically remove
                                  tags or entities.

                                  Do you use NoteTab's clips feature? You could easily have a customized
                                  solution (clip) that would do exactly what you want. Come on over to
                                  the clips list for help with that.

                                  Clips list is at: <http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ ntb-clips/>

                                  Regards,
                                  Sheri

                                • Han Dinh
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 3, 2009
                                    Hi Don

                                    You are right again. By using the third choice in "modify" menu, I was able to insert the <br> at the end of each paragraph, but not changing or adding any characters...

                                    Thanks again.

                                    Han