Re: [NTB] Bug still not fixed? and I FOUND IT!

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
      Ugly Me wrote:
> [...]
      They have to be LOADED from somewhere, unless you have them unsaved.
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
        Jeff Scism wrote:
        > Ugly Me wrote:

        Ugly,

        I don't think this is a bug. I think it's working exactly as designed.

        Notetab recognizes if the file is a Unicode text file or UTF-8 Web page
        and makes it Read-Only, within NoteTab, upon loading.

        This doesn't necessarily mean the disk file is Read-Only also.

        I run into this now and then but until now it wasn't such a problem that it
        required writing a clip.

        I have written a clip now that should check all open files and those that
        are Unicode text files or UTF-8 Web pages should change status to allow
        editing. I haven't a very good way of testing this clip because I seldom
        run into a Unicode or UTF-8 Web page.

        I realize this is not the clips list but I'll insert the clip and CC this
        message to the clips list, which you can put into a clipbar, and the next
        time you have several files loaded you can run the clip on the open files.

        As I said, I can't reliably test it but, it should work.

        H="Change Loaded UniCodeFile Write-ability"
        ^!Set %docindex%=C:\Documents and Settings\User\desktop\emdoc.emd
        ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
        ^!Set %openfilenum%=^$GetDocCount$; %openfileindex%=0
        :LOOP
        ^!Inc %openfileindex%
        ^!SetDocIndex ^%openfileindex%
        ;
        ; Changes the NoteTab Read-Only status if FileName
        ; is a Unicode text file or UTF-8 Web page
        ;
        ^!IfFileUnicode "^$GetDocName(^%openfileindex%)$" NEXT ELSE SKIP
        ^!KeyBoard Shift+Ctrl+R
        ;
        ; the next line would help if the disk file were read-only but I doubt
        that it is
        ; ^!SetFileAttr "^$GetDocName(^%openfileindex)$" -r
        ^!If ^%openfileindex% = ^%openfilenum% NEXT ELSE LOOP
        ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(^%docindex%)$

        ºvº SL_day# 032 - created 2009.02.01_23.14.12

        Life is a thirst.
        • Leonard Michaels

        € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
          hsavage wrote:
          > Jeff Scism wrote:
          >> Ugly Me wrote:

          All, Ugly,

          Sorry about this, the first line in the clip above was changed by
          copying and
          pasting into the email.

          This should be the first Line.

          ^!Set %docindex%=^##

          The line allows returning focus to the same file that was focused when the
          clip was started.

          ºvº SL_day# 033 - created 2009.02.02_07.32.15

          Man is what he believes.
          • Anton Chekhov

          € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
        • Scott Fordin
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
            > Ugly Me wrote:

            I've stayed away from this thread because of the sometimes nasty tone
            it has taken, but I have to say, Ugly Me, that your comment about Jody
            was unjustifiably callous. There are many good people in this group who
            have spent a lot of cycles trying to help you and others, but perhaps
            no one was more generous with his time and patience than Jody. Being a
            "pest" is one thing; being cold and insensitive is quite another.

            Scott
          • Ugly Me
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
              >I've stayed away from this thread because of the sometimes nasty tone
              >it has taken, but I have to say, Ugly Me, that your comment about Jody
              >was unjustifiably callous. There are many good people in this group who
              >have spent a lot of cycles trying to help you and others, but perhaps
              >no one was more generous with his time and patience than Jody. Being a
              >"pest" is one thing; being cold and insensitive is quite another.

              What can I say, Scott? Jody may have been instrumental to this group and to NoteTab in general but we did clash. While I wish it didn't happen, it did, nevertheless. While she probably did everything the way it was meant to be done, I just didn't fit in. Apparently I still don't as evidenced by this recent but ongoing episode. While I saw it as an ongoing bug, to others like yourself, to paraphrase a cliché, it was a "feature." Again my hat goes off to those for whom the issue was quite obvious. In short, Jody was not the problem - I was, and we clashed. I never meant to say it was her fault.

              .

            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 3, 2009
                Ugly Me (ugly@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-02-02 at
                15:12):
                > What can I say, Scott? Jody may have been instrumental to this group
                > and to NoteTab in general but we did clash. While I wish it didn't
                > happen, it did, nevertheless. While she probably did everything the
                > way it was meant to be done, I just didn't fit in. Apparently I still
                > don't as evidenced by this recent but ongoing episode. While I saw it
                > as an ongoing bug, to others like yourself, to paraphrase a cliché,
                > it was a "feature." Again my hat goes off to those for whom the issue
                > was quite obvious. In short, Jody was not the problem - I was, and we
                > clashed. I never meant to say it was her fault.

                Hi Ugly ;-)
                If you Google [Unicode2ascii] you will find a number of programs that
                will convert a Unicode file to ascii (with possible information loss if
                they actually HAVE to be Unicode because of special characters they
                contain - but I assume this is not a problem for you).
                I assume that they will process a batch of files - if there is any
                advantage to having your more recent (but still ancient) version of
                Notetab you could run one of the conversion programs after retrieving
                and before editing.

                btw: Jody was a husband, father and grand-father. Not to worry - back in
                2001 when I first used Notetab I made the same mistake.

                iles - if there is any
                advantage to having your more recent (but still ancient) version of
                Notetab you could run one of the conversion programs after retrieving
                and before editing.<br>
                btw: Jody was a husband, father and grand-father. Not to worry - back
                in 2001 when I first used Notetab I made the same mistake.<br>
                <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
                Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)</pre>