Re: [NTB] Re: Bug still not fixed?

  • Ugly Me
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
      From: Marcelo Bastos
      To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2009 10:42 PM
      Subject: Re: [NTB] Re: Bug still not fixed?

      >Hmmm... is that "turning the file read-only" or "locking the file while
      >editing?" These are two different things.
      >
      >However, for the record: I have often opened the same file
      >simultaneously in NoteTab and Microsoft Word (mostly to use Word's
      >compare files feature while doing the actual editing in NoteTab). Even
      >if I open the file *first* in NoteTab, Word does *not* flag the file as
      >read-only (that is, NoteTab does not lock the file for editing).

      Not only does it not lock the file in these cases (totally different and I've encountered that too) but if the file is changed for any reason outside of NoteTab I get a message stating that the file has changed, with the option of re-loading the updated version.

      Oh yes, I do use a Windows Explorer replacement so file attributes are easily seen at all times. I do know ahead of time what the attribute flags are.

      And as I said in another message, NoteTab changes them itself. I get the message when files load. Also again, I'll check out the "unicode" aspect suggested to see if it has any effect.

      .

    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
        Ugly Me wrote:
> [...]
        They have to be LOADED from somewhere, unless you have them unsaved.
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
          Jeff Scism wrote:
          > Ugly Me wrote:

          Ugly,

          I don't think this is a bug. I think it's working exactly as designed.

          Notetab recognizes if the file is a Unicode text file or UTF-8 Web page
          and makes it Read-Only, within NoteTab, upon loading.

          This doesn't necessarily mean the disk file is Read-Only also.

          I run into this now and then but until now it wasn't such a problem that it
          required writing a clip.

          I have written a clip now that should check all open files and those that
          are Unicode text files or UTF-8 Web pages should change status to allow
          editing. I haven't a very good way of testing this clip because I seldom
          run into a Unicode or UTF-8 Web page.

          I realize this is not the clips list but I'll insert the clip and CC this
          message to the clips list, which you can put into a clipbar, and the next
          time you have several files loaded you can run the clip on the open files.

          As I said, I can't reliably test it but, it should work.

          H="Change Loaded UniCodeFile Write-ability"
          ^!Set %docindex%=C:\Documents and Settings\User\desktop\emdoc.emd
          ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
          ^!Set %openfilenum%=^$GetDocCount$; %openfileindex%=0
          :LOOP
          ^!Inc %openfileindex%
          ^!SetDocIndex ^%openfileindex%
          ;
          ; Changes the NoteTab Read-Only status if FileName
          ; is a Unicode text file or UTF-8 Web page
          ;
          ^!IfFileUnicode "^$GetDocName(^%openfileindex%)$" NEXT ELSE SKIP
          ^!KeyBoard Shift+Ctrl+R
          ;
          ; the next line would help if the disk file were read-only but I doubt
          that it is
          ; ^!SetFileAttr "^$GetDocName(^%openfileindex)$" -r
          ^!If ^%openfileindex% = ^%openfilenum% NEXT ELSE LOOP
          ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(^%docindex%)$

          ºvº SL_day# 032 - created 2009.02.01_23.14.12

          Life is a thirst.
          • Leonard Michaels

          € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
            hsavage wrote:
            > Jeff Scism wrote:
            >> Ugly Me wrote:

            All, Ugly,

            Sorry about this, the first line in the clip above was changed by
            copying and
            pasting into the email.

            This should be the first Line.

            ^!Set %docindex%=^##

            The line allows returning focus to the same file that was focused when the
            clip was started.

            ºvº SL_day# 033 - created 2009.02.02_07.32.15

            Man is what he believes.
            • Anton Chekhov

            € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
          • Scott Fordin
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
              > Ugly Me wrote:

              I've stayed away from this thread because of the sometimes nasty tone
              it has taken, but I have to say, Ugly Me, that your comment about Jody
              was unjustifiably callous. There are many good people in this group who
              have spent a lot of cycles trying to help you and others, but perhaps
              no one was more generous with his time and patience than Jody. Being a
              "pest" is one thing; being cold and insensitive is quite another.

              Scott
            • Ugly Me
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
                >I've stayed away from this thread because of the sometimes nasty tone
                >it has taken, but I have to say, Ugly Me, that your comment about Jody
                >was unjustifiably callous. There are many good people in this group who
                >have spent a lot of cycles trying to help you and others, but perhaps
                >no one was more generous with his time and patience than Jody. Being a
                >"pest" is one thing; being cold and insensitive is quite another.

                What can I say, Scott? Jody may have been instrumental to this group and to NoteTab in general but we did clash. While I wish it didn't happen, it did, nevertheless. While she probably did everything the way it was meant to be done, I just didn't fit in. Apparently I still don't as evidenced by this recent but ongoing episode. While I saw it as an ongoing bug, to others like yourself, to paraphrase a cliché, it was a "feature." Again my hat goes off to those for whom the issue was quite obvious. In short, Jody was not the problem - I was, and we clashed. I never meant to say it was her fault.

                .

              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 3, 2009
                  Ugly Me (ugly@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-02-02 at
                  15:12):
                  > What can I say, Scott? Jody may have been instrumental to this group
                  > and to NoteTab in general but we did clash. While I wish it didn't
                  > happen, it did, nevertheless. While she probably did everything the
                  > way it was meant to be done, I just didn't fit in. Apparently I still
                  > don't as evidenced by this recent but ongoing episode. While I saw it
                  > as an ongoing bug, to others like yourself, to paraphrase a cliché,
                  > it was a "feature." Again my hat goes off to those for whom the issue
                  > was quite obvious. In short, Jody was not the problem - I was, and we
                  > clashed. I never meant to say it was her fault.

                  Hi Ugly ;-)
                  If you Google [Unicode2ascii] you will find a number of programs that
                  will convert a Unicode file to ascii (with possible information loss if
                  they actually HAVE to be Unicode because of special characters they
                  contain - but I assume this is not a problem for you).
                  I assume that they will process a batch of files - if there is any
                  advantage to having your more recent (but still ancient) version of
                  Notetab you could run one of the conversion programs after retrieving
                  and before editing.

                  btw: Jody was a husband, father and grand-father. Not to worry - back in
                  2001 when I first used Notetab I made the same mistake.

                  iles - if there is any
                  advantage to having your more recent (but still ancient) version of
                  Notetab you could run one of the conversion programs after retrieving
                  and before editing.<br>
                  btw: Jody was a husband, father and grand-father. Not to worry - back
                  in 2001 when I first used Notetab I made the same mistake.<br>
                  <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
                  Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)</pre>