Re: [NTB] Re: Bug still not fixed?

  • Ugly Me
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
      From: lm_hamilton
      To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2009 10:22 PM
      Subject: [NTB] Re: Bug still not fixed?

      >I am not sure that this is a bug. More information is needed to help
      >with your issue. I have never had a file decide to become read only
      >all by itself, so I suspect something else is going on.
      >
      >1.) What Version of NoteTab?

      It seems to be version 4.6 and newer. Possibly 4.52

      >2.) What Variety of Notetab? (Light, Standard, Pro, Trial Version?)

      I haven't experiemented with others but it's NoteTab Pro.

      >3.) What version of Windows? (98, 2000, XP, Vista?)

      Win2K SP4

      >Do you have the security permissions to install software?

      I sure hope so. My machine. And of course if I don't, for some reason, it's remedied.

      >Where are you NoteTab files located?

      That depends on how you define it.

      -At home

      -On the hard drive (as opposed to a network or CD/DVD)

      >Once we have this information, we will ask more questions to narrow
      >the scope of the issue.

      Thanks. Although I'm getting to the backlog of replies and thank you all.

      The surprise (to me) revelation of unicode etc. caught me off guard and I'll certainly have to look into it.

      While I have finally edited the files in question with an older version of NoteTab I can do a "test" edit to see. It's just that it was really frustrating to have several HTML files, and wanting to do a "simple" edit, since NoteTab allowed a search & replace across all open files, only to find that I had to remove read-only status that I never set to begin with. Given the recent suggestion about unicode files (and believe me, I have no idea if they are or aren't) I will have to test it out.

      So I offer a premature "thanks" to everyone, and hopefully that's all that it is.

      Either way I appreciate all your help.

      -Sean

      .

    • Ugly Me
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
          Ugly Me wrote:
> [...]
          They have to be LOADED from somewhere, unless you have them unsaved.
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
            Jeff Scism wrote:
            > Ugly Me wrote:

            Ugly,

            I don't think this is a bug. I think it's working exactly as designed.

            Notetab recognizes if the file is a Unicode text file or UTF-8 Web page
            and makes it Read-Only, within NoteTab, upon loading.

            This doesn't necessarily mean the disk file is Read-Only also.

            I run into this now and then but until now it wasn't such a problem that it
            required writing a clip.

            I have written a clip now that should check all open files and those that
            are Unicode text files or UTF-8 Web pages should change status to allow
            editing. I haven't a very good way of testing this clip because I seldom
            run into a Unicode or UTF-8 Web page.

            I realize this is not the clips list but I'll insert the clip and CC this
            message to the clips list, which you can put into a clipbar, and the next
            time you have several files loaded you can run the clip on the open files.

            As I said, I can't reliably test it but, it should work.

            H="Change Loaded UniCodeFile Write-ability"
            ^!Set %docindex%=C:\Documents and Settings\User\desktop\emdoc.emd
            ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
            ^!Set %openfilenum%=^$GetDocCount$; %openfileindex%=0
            :LOOP
            ^!Inc %openfileindex%
            ^!SetDocIndex ^%openfileindex%
            ;
            ; Changes the NoteTab Read-Only status if FileName
            ; is a Unicode text file or UTF-8 Web page
            ;
            ^!IfFileUnicode "^$GetDocName(^%openfileindex%)$" NEXT ELSE SKIP
            ^!KeyBoard Shift+Ctrl+R
            ;
            ; the next line would help if the disk file were read-only but I doubt
            that it is
            ; ^!SetFileAttr "^$GetDocName(^%openfileindex)$" -r
            ^!If ^%openfileindex% = ^%openfilenum% NEXT ELSE LOOP
            ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(^%docindex%)$

            ºvº SL_day# 032 - created 2009.02.01_23.14.12

            Life is a thirst.
            • Leonard Michaels

            € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
              hsavage wrote:
              > Jeff Scism wrote:
              >> Ugly Me wrote:

              All, Ugly,

              Sorry about this, the first line in the clip above was changed by
              copying and
              pasting into the email.

              This should be the first Line.

              ^!Set %docindex%=^##

              The line allows returning focus to the same file that was focused when the
              clip was started.

              ºvº SL_day# 033 - created 2009.02.02_07.32.15

              Man is what he believes.
              • Anton Chekhov

              € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
            • Scott Fordin
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
                > Ugly Me wrote:

                I've stayed away from this thread because of the sometimes nasty tone
                it has taken, but I have to say, Ugly Me, that your comment about Jody
                was unjustifiably callous. There are many good people in this group who
                have spent a lot of cycles trying to help you and others, but perhaps
                no one was more generous with his time and patience than Jody. Being a
                "pest" is one thing; being cold and insensitive is quite another.

                Scott
              • Ugly Me
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
                  >I've stayed away from this thread because of the sometimes nasty tone
                  >it has taken, but I have to say, Ugly Me, that your comment about Jody
                  >was unjustifiably callous. There are many good people in this group who
                  >have spent a lot of cycles trying to help you and others, but perhaps
                  >no one was more generous with his time and patience than Jody. Being a
                  >"pest" is one thing; being cold and insensitive is quite another.

                  What can I say, Scott? Jody may have been instrumental to this group and to NoteTab in general but we did clash. While I wish it didn't happen, it did, nevertheless. While she probably did everything the way it was meant to be done, I just didn't fit in. Apparently I still don't as evidenced by this recent but ongoing episode. While I saw it as an ongoing bug, to others like yourself, to paraphrase a cliché, it was a "feature." Again my hat goes off to those for whom the issue was quite obvious. In short, Jody was not the problem - I was, and we clashed. I never meant to say it was her fault.

                  .

                • Alec Burgess
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 3, 2009
                    Ugly Me (ugly@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-02-02 at
                    15:12):
                    > What can I say, Scott? Jody may have been instrumental to this group
                    > and to NoteTab in general but we did clash. While I wish it didn't
                    > happen, it did, nevertheless. While she probably did everything the
                    > way it was meant to be done, I just didn't fit in. Apparently I still
                    > don't as evidenced by this recent but ongoing episode. While I saw it
                    > as an ongoing bug, to others like yourself, to paraphrase a cliché,
                    > it was a "feature." Again my hat goes off to those for whom the issue
                    > was quite obvious. In short, Jody was not the problem - I was, and we
                    > clashed. I never meant to say it was her fault.

                    Hi Ugly ;-)
                    If you Google [Unicode2ascii] you will find a number of programs that
                    will convert a Unicode file to ascii (with possible information loss if
                    they actually HAVE to be Unicode because of special characters they
                    contain - but I assume this is not a problem for you).
                    I assume that they will process a batch of files - if there is any
                    advantage to having your more recent (but still ancient) version of
                    Notetab you could run one of the conversion programs after retrieving
                    and before editing.

                    btw: Jody was a husband, father and grand-father. Not to worry - back in
                    2001 when I first used Notetab I made the same mistake.

                    iles - if there is any
                    advantage to having your more recent (but still ancient) version of
                    Notetab you could run one of the conversion programs after retrieving
                    and before editing.<br>
                    btw: Jody was a husband, father and grand-father. Not to worry - back
                    in 2001 when I first used Notetab I made the same mistake.<br>
                    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
                    Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)</pre>