Re: [NTB] How Do I Display Byte Location?

  • loro
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2009
      jim9z wrote:
      >Thanks. Kinda clumsy but it works.
      >
      >As first I thought you had to press all those key at once. :)

      I'm a meanie! ;-) You can also have a button on the button bar for
      Text Statistics.

      >Now, is there a way to target a specific character location?

      Move the cursor there? I don't think so, but it could be done with a
      clip (^!MoveCursor). There is a problem though. Text Statistics
      doesn't count line breaks, a clip would see a line break as 2 characters.

      Lotta
    • jim9z
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2009
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

        > Text Statistics. Try Ctrl+Shift+Home Alt+T S.

        I'm not sure what this implies but . . .

        After making the selection the number of bytes in the selection is
        shown on the status (bottom) bar. That number is different than the
        number you get when going to Text Statistics.

        Also, going to Text Statistics changes the selection.
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2009
          loro wrote:
          > jim9z wrote:
          >> Thanks. Kinda clumsy but it works.
          >>
          >> As first I thought you had to press all those key at once. :)
          >
          > I'm a meanie! ;-) You can also have a button on the button bar for
          > Text Statistics.
          >
          >> Now, is there a way to target a specific character location?
          >
          > Move the cursor there? I don't think so, but it could be done with a
          > clip (^!MoveCursor). There is a problem though. Text Statistics
          > doesn't count line breaks, a clip would see a line break as 2 characters.
          >
          > Lotta

          We did this a while back on here. It wound up as you say having
          troubles with counting line breaks as two characters. Not sure we ever
          quite solved it.
        • loro
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2009
            jim9z wrote:
            >After making the selection the number of bytes in the selection is
            >shown on the status (bottom) bar. That number is different than the
            >number you get when going to Text Statistics.

            Yeah, in the number on the stutus bar, linebreaks are included (counted).

            >Also, going to Text Statistics changes the selection.

            Doesn't happen for me.

            Lotta
          • loro
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2009
              Don wrote:
              >We did this a while back on here. It wound up as you say having
              >troubles with counting line breaks as two characters. Not sure we ever
              >quite solved it.

              Remember what thread it was? I guess you could count all ^P and
              subtract that number from the total number (if that's what one wants).

              Lotta
            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2009
                loro wrote:
                > Don wrote:
                >> We did this a while back on here. It wound up as you say having
                >> troubles with counting line breaks as two characters. Not sure we ever
                >> quite solved it.
                >
                > Remember what thread it was? I guess you could count all ^P and
                > subtract that number from the total number (if that's what one wants).
                >
                > Lotta

                I think it was about here:

                Issue was how do you count line feeds ...