Re: [NTB] Bug still not fixed? and I FOUND IT!

  • Bruce Meyers
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
      if you will look in the drop-down Documents menu at the top of NoteTab you will find at the bottom "Read Only"
      If it has a check mark,  click on it and the check mark will disappear and documents will no longer  be made "Read Only" .  If the check mark is there it will make all documents read only.
      you never said that you had done that. If you had and the problem is still there then there must be some other reason documents are being made "read only:.

      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
        Ugly Me wrote:
        > It's frustrating having to deal with the read-only bug that has lasted for several versions of NoteTab.
        > How does one get past it?
        > More often than not if I open a file for editing, the program places it in "read-only" status for which I have to manually change it.
        > This is not usually a problem except yesterday when I tried to edit a few files at once. That meant having to go to each and every window and manually remove the read-only flag.
        > Maybe I shouldn't ask. After all, I'm not the programmer. However, I still find it bothersome.

        Have the files been previously saved and then MOVED to a different
        computer or hard drive?

        Did you try going to the containing folder and changing the folder's
        properties? (Right click the folder in "explorer" and click
        "Properties", UNCHECK "read only" apply and close, also the ADVANCED
        settings in that window should be checked, and if the "Ready for
        archiving" box is checked UNcheck it, apply and close.

        If these do not work. perhaps there is something mis-set in Notetab itself?
      • Ugly Me
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                There is also a clip made by Jody (miss him...) that changes the
                attributes on an entire directory of files.

                Check the Clips group archive for it, (directory stuff.clb, I think).

                Jeff
              • loro
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                  Ugly Me wrote:
                  > Yesterday these files were HTML code.

                  Yeah, and they were saved as Unicode. :-)

                  Lotta
                • Ugly Me
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                          Ugly Me wrote:
> [...]
                          They have to be LOADED from somewhere, unless you have them unsaved.
                        • hsavage
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                            Jeff Scism wrote:
                            > Ugly Me wrote:

                            Ugly,

                            I don't think this is a bug. I think it's working exactly as designed.

                            Notetab recognizes if the file is a Unicode text file or UTF-8 Web page
                            and makes it Read-Only, within NoteTab, upon loading.

                            This doesn't necessarily mean the disk file is Read-Only also.

                            I run into this now and then but until now it wasn't such a problem that it
                            required writing a clip.

                            I have written a clip now that should check all open files and those that
                            are Unicode text files or UTF-8 Web pages should change status to allow
                            editing. I haven't a very good way of testing this clip because I seldom
                            run into a Unicode or UTF-8 Web page.

                            I realize this is not the clips list but I'll insert the clip and CC this
                            message to the clips list, which you can put into a clipbar, and the next
                            time you have several files loaded you can run the clip on the open files.

                            As I said, I can't reliably test it but, it should work.

                            H="Change Loaded UniCodeFile Write-ability"
                            ^!Set %docindex%=C:\Documents and Settings\User\desktop\emdoc.emd
                            ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
                            ^!Set %openfilenum%=^$GetDocCount$; %openfileindex%=0
                            :LOOP
                            ^!Inc %openfileindex%
                            ^!SetDocIndex ^%openfileindex%
                            ;
                            ; Changes the NoteTab Read-Only status if FileName
                            ; is a Unicode text file or UTF-8 Web page
                            ;
                            ^!IfFileUnicode "^$GetDocName(^%openfileindex%)$" NEXT ELSE SKIP
                            ^!KeyBoard Shift+Ctrl+R
                            ;
                            ; the next line would help if the disk file were read-only but I doubt
                            that it is
                            ; ^!SetFileAttr "^$GetDocName(^%openfileindex)$" -r
                            ^!If ^%openfileindex% = ^%openfilenum% NEXT ELSE LOOP
                            ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(^%docindex%)$

                            ºvº SL_day# 032 - created 2009.02.01_23.14.12

                            Life is a thirst.
                            • Leonard Michaels

                            € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                          • hsavage
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
                              hsavage wrote:
                              > Jeff Scism wrote:
                              >> Ugly Me wrote:

                              All, Ugly,

                              Sorry about this, the first line in the clip above was changed by
                              copying and
                              pasting into the email.

                              This should be the first Line.

                              ^!Set %docindex%=^##

                              The line allows returning focus to the same file that was focused when the
                              clip was started.

                              ºvº SL_day# 033 - created 2009.02.02_07.32.15

                              Man is what he believes.
                              • Anton Chekhov

                              € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                            • Scott Fordin
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
                                > Ugly Me wrote:

                                I've stayed away from this thread because of the sometimes nasty tone
                                it has taken, but I have to say, Ugly Me, that your comment about Jody
                                was unjustifiably callous. There are many good people in this group who
                                have spent a lot of cycles trying to help you and others, but perhaps
                                no one was more generous with his time and patience than Jody. Being a
                                "pest" is one thing; being cold and insensitive is quite another.

                                Scott
                              • Ugly Me
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
                                  >I've stayed away from this thread because of the sometimes nasty tone
                                  >it has taken, but I have to say, Ugly Me, that your comment about Jody
                                  >was unjustifiably callous. There are many good people in this group who
                                  >have spent a lot of cycles trying to help you and others, but perhaps
                                  >no one was more generous with his time and patience than Jody. Being a
                                  >"pest" is one thing; being cold and insensitive is quite another.

                                  What can I say, Scott? Jody may have been instrumental to this group and to NoteTab in general but we did clash. While I wish it didn't happen, it did, nevertheless. While she probably did everything the way it was meant to be done, I just didn't fit in. Apparently I still don't as evidenced by this recent but ongoing episode. While I saw it as an ongoing bug, to others like yourself, to paraphrase a cliché, it was a "feature." Again my hat goes off to those for whom the issue was quite obvious. In short, Jody was not the problem - I was, and we clashed. I never meant to say it was her fault.

                                  .

                                • Alec Burgess
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 3, 2009
                                    Ugly Me (ugly@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-02-02 at
                                    15:12):
                                    > What can I say, Scott? Jody may have been instrumental to this group
                                    > and to NoteTab in general but we did clash. While I wish it didn't
                                    > happen, it did, nevertheless. While she probably did everything the
                                    > way it was meant to be done, I just didn't fit in. Apparently I still
                                    > don't as evidenced by this recent but ongoing episode. While I saw it
                                    > as an ongoing bug, to others like yourself, to paraphrase a cliché,
                                    > it was a "feature." Again my hat goes off to those for whom the issue
                                    > was quite obvious. In short, Jody was not the problem - I was, and we
                                    > clashed. I never meant to say it was her fault.

                                    Hi Ugly ;-)
                                    If you Google [Unicode2ascii] you will find a number of programs that
                                    will convert a Unicode file to ascii (with possible information loss if
                                    they actually HAVE to be Unicode because of special characters they
                                    contain - but I assume this is not a problem for you).
                                    I assume that they will process a batch of files - if there is any
                                    advantage to having your more recent (but still ancient) version of
                                    Notetab you could run one of the conversion programs after retrieving
                                    and before editing.

                                    btw: Jody was a husband, father and grand-father. Not to worry - back in
                                    2001 when I first used Notetab I made the same mistake.

                                    iles - if there is any
                                    advantage to having your more recent (but still ancient) version of
                                    Notetab you could run one of the conversion programs after retrieving
                                    and before editing.<br>
                                    btw: Jody was a husband, father and grand-father. Not to worry - back
                                    in 2001 when I first used Notetab I made the same mistake.<br>
                                    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
                                    Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)</pre>