Re: [NTB] I FOUND IT!

  • loro
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
      Ugly Me wrote:
      >Yes I found a version of NoteTab Pro that does NOT automatically
      >default to read-only when you open files.
      >
      >4.52

      IFAIK there is no such bug. I venture to guess that you have 'Protect
      Unicode Files' checked in later versions and not checked in your 4.52.

      View Options | General | Protect Unicode Files.

      From Help:
      "Protect Unicode Files: When NoteTab opens Unicode files, it has to
      convert them to the ANSI character set, which handles much fewer
      characters. As a result, the conversion process may drop non-ANSI and
      cause the loss of information. When this setting is checked, Unicode
      files are opened in Read-Only mode, which protects the file from
      changes. If you know that your Unicode documents will not loose
      important information during the conversion process, you can uncheck
      this option in order to open such files in editable mode."

      Lotta
    • Andy M
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
        Ugly Me wrote:

        > Yes I found a version of NoteTab Pro that does NOT automatically default
        > to read-only when you open files.
        >
        > 4.52
        >
        > But it seems that after that, the bug set in and was never fixed.

        GDay,

        I believe what you have encountered is NOT a bug in NoteTab but is a
        normal setting within Windows. IE: the read-only attribute has been set
        on the file you are opening.

        To easily remove the read-only attribute, open WINDOWS Explorer, you'll
        find it here: start menu/accessories/Windows Explorer.

        Goto the Tools/Folder Options, Click on the 'View' tab and uncheck 'hide
        extensions for known file types', click ok.

        Now, whilst still in Windows Explorer, right click on the 'Name' column
        title and select 'attributes' from the list. An attributes column should
        appear on the right hand side of the right hand pane. This column will
        display the current attributes for your files.

        To change a files' attribute, right click on the file and select
        properties. You'll find the controls at the bottom of the 'Properties'
        dialog box.

        To change multiple files, hold Ctrl whilst selecting the files. When
        all files have been selected, right click on any selected file and set
        the attributes accordingly. All selected files will inherit the
        attributes you set or unset.

        Note: The attributes cannot be set on some system files using this
        method. Those files attributes must be modified using the commandline
        attrib command.

        --
        Regards
        Andy

        Thunderbird 2.0.0.19
      • Ugly Me
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
          >>Yes I found a version of NoteTab Pro that does NOT automatically
          >>default to read-only when you open files.
          >>
          >>4.52

          >IFAIK there is no such bug. I venture to guess that you have 'Protect
          >Unicode Files' checked in later versions and not checked in your 4.52.
          >
          >View Options | General | Protect Unicode Files.

          Currently I'm not sure. Such an option is NOT available in 4.52 - oh my. No function to replace Notepad or check the "news" either. I could really go for a better fix I suppose. However I ignored the unicode concept so it's possible.

          I'll have to reinstate -- 5.61 is the most current archive I have -- to check it out.

          >From Help:
          >"Protect Unicode Files: When NoteTab opens Unicode files, it has to
          >convert them to the ANSI character set, which handles much fewer
          >characters. As a result, the conversion process may drop non-ANSI and
          >cause the loss of information. When this setting is checked, Unicode
          >files are opened in Read-Only mode, which protects the file from
          >changes. If you know that your Unicode documents will not loose
          >important information during the conversion process, you can uncheck
          >this option in order to open such files in editable mode."

          Now here's the tricky part. To me, it just seemed like an ordinary ASCII-based HTML file. It's certainly not always obvious to me. Alas, this COULD be the situation, I guess. However, this has never been explained to me. It's just been an endless source of flustration. So I'll check it out tonight and get back to you on that. I hope it's that simple - well, it wasn't simple to me.

          -Sean

          .

        • Ugly Me
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
            > Yes I found a version of NoteTab Pro that does NOT automatically default
            > to read-only when you open files.
            >
            > 4.52
            >
            > But it seems that after that, the bug set in and was never fixed.

            >GDay,
            >
            >I believe what you have encountered is NOT a bug in NoteTab but is a
            >normal setting within Windows. IE: the read-only attribute has been set
            >on the file you are opening.

            Uh, no. All the files were R/W when I set off to open them.

            It was recently when I went to open some files I saw a very fast blurb that NoteTab was setting the file to read-only. NoteTab did it.

            .

          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2009
              loro (loro-spam01-@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-02-01 at 04:51):
              > Ugly Me wrote:
              > >Yes I found a version of NoteTab Pro that does NOT automatically
              > >default to read-only when you open files.
              > >
              > >4.52
              >
              > IFAIK there is no such bug. I venture to guess that you have 'Protect
              > Unicode Files' checked in later versions and not checked in your 4.52.
              >
              > View Options | General | Protect Unicode Files.
              >
              > >From Help:
              > "Protect Unicode Files: When NoteTab opens Unicode files, it has to
              > convert them to the ANSI character set, which handles much fewer
              > characters. As a result, the conversion process may drop non-ANSI and
              > cause the loss of information. When this setting is checked, Unicode
              > files are opened in Read-Only mode, which protects the file from
              > changes. If you know that your Unicode documents will not loose
              > important information during the conversion process, you can uncheck
              > this option in order to open such files in editable mode."

              Good catch Lotta - and its still there in Notetab 5.x too!

              Ugly - forget my message about Unicode2ascii :-[