RE: [NTB] Bug still not fixed?

  • dj Rick Mitchell
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 31, 2009
      the only time I've had such situations is when I've used notetab to call up
      files that were in use already (such as .ini or apache/php/server/website
      configuartion files that the server programs automatically set to read only
      so they don't get changed while they are being used by the program).

      It would be interesting to know exactly which files were involved with the
      so-called bug.

      RICK

      _____

      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
        Op zondag 1 februari 2009 02:57 schreef Ugly Me:

        > It's frustrating having to deal with the read-only bug that has
        > lasted for several versions of NoteTab.

        It's not a bug, it's a feature.
        This happens with binary files and unicode files.
        Notetab cannot edit them, and saving an edited version would make them unusable.
        So it's a protection.

        Alex.
      • Bruce Meyers
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
          if you will look in the drop-down Documents menu at the top of NoteTab you will find at the bottom "Read Only"
          If it has a check mark,  click on it and the check mark will disappear and documents will no longer  be made "Read Only" .  If the check mark is there it will make all documents read only.
          you never said that you had done that. If you had and the problem is still there then there must be some other reason documents are being made "read only:.

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
            Ugly Me wrote:
            > It's frustrating having to deal with the read-only bug that has lasted for several versions of NoteTab.
            > How does one get past it?
            > More often than not if I open a file for editing, the program places it in "read-only" status for which I have to manually change it.
            > This is not usually a problem except yesterday when I tried to edit a few files at once. That meant having to go to each and every window and manually remove the read-only flag.
            > Maybe I shouldn't ask. After all, I'm not the programmer. However, I still find it bothersome.

            Have the files been previously saved and then MOVED to a different
            computer or hard drive?

            Did you try going to the containing folder and changing the folder's
            properties? (Right click the folder in "explorer" and click
            "Properties", UNCHECK "read only" apply and close, also the ADVANCED
            settings in that window should be checked, and if the "Ready for
            archiving" box is checked UNcheck it, apply and close.

            If these do not work. perhaps there is something mis-set in Notetab itself?
          • Ugly Me
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
              >the only time I've had such situations is when I've used notetab to call up
              >files that were in use already (such as .ini or apache/php/server/website
              >configuartion files that the server programs automatically set to read only
              >so they don't get changed while they are being used by the program).
              >
              >It would be interesting to know exactly which files were involved with the
              >so-called bug.

              Usually unattached text files (as in, not linked directly to anything else).

              Yesterday these files were HTML code. Initially when I loaded them into NoteTab they were NOT in use in a browser, but even when I had to manually remove read-only status from each and every one, the edited code worked fine in the browser, and saved in NoteTab even while using both at the same time.

              I thought back. It wasn't always that way, or I never would have paid for NoteTab.

              That's when I went through my archives and realized that it must have changed sometime aver version 4.51 which serves my needs.

              .

            • Ugly Me
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                    There is also a clip made by Jody (miss him...) that changes the
                    attributes on an entire directory of files.

                    Check the Clips group archive for it, (directory stuff.clb, I think).

                    Jeff
                  • loro
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                      Ugly Me wrote:
                      > Yesterday these files were HTML code.

                      Yeah, and they were saved as Unicode. :-)

                      Lotta
                    • Ugly Me
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                              Ugly Me wrote:
> [...]
                              They have to be LOADED from somewhere, unless you have them unsaved.
                            • hsavage
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                                Jeff Scism wrote:
                                > Ugly Me wrote:

                                Ugly,

                                I don't think this is a bug. I think it's working exactly as designed.

                                Notetab recognizes if the file is a Unicode text file or UTF-8 Web page
                                and makes it Read-Only, within NoteTab, upon loading.

                                This doesn't necessarily mean the disk file is Read-Only also.

                                I run into this now and then but until now it wasn't such a problem that it
                                required writing a clip.

                                I have written a clip now that should check all open files and those that
                                are Unicode text files or UTF-8 Web pages should change status to allow
                                editing. I haven't a very good way of testing this clip because I seldom
                                run into a Unicode or UTF-8 Web page.

                                I realize this is not the clips list but I'll insert the clip and CC this
                                message to the clips list, which you can put into a clipbar, and the next
                                time you have several files loaded you can run the clip on the open files.

                                As I said, I can't reliably test it but, it should work.

                                H="Change Loaded UniCodeFile Write-ability"
                                ^!Set %docindex%=C:\Documents and Settings\User\desktop\emdoc.emd
                                ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
                                ^!Set %openfilenum%=^$GetDocCount$; %openfileindex%=0
                                :LOOP
                                ^!Inc %openfileindex%
                                ^!SetDocIndex ^%openfileindex%
                                ;
                                ; Changes the NoteTab Read-Only status if FileName
                                ; is a Unicode text file or UTF-8 Web page
                                ;
                                ^!IfFileUnicode "^$GetDocName(^%openfileindex%)$" NEXT ELSE SKIP
                                ^!KeyBoard Shift+Ctrl+R
                                ;
                                ; the next line would help if the disk file were read-only but I doubt
                                that it is
                                ; ^!SetFileAttr "^$GetDocName(^%openfileindex)$" -r
                                ^!If ^%openfileindex% = ^%openfilenum% NEXT ELSE LOOP
                                ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(^%docindex%)$

                                ºvº SL_day# 032 - created 2009.02.01_23.14.12

                                Life is a thirst.
                                • Leonard Michaels

                                € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                              • hsavage
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
                                  hsavage wrote:
                                  > Jeff Scism wrote:
                                  >> Ugly Me wrote:

                                  All, Ugly,

                                  Sorry about this, the first line in the clip above was changed by
                                  copying and
                                  pasting into the email.

                                  This should be the first Line.

                                  ^!Set %docindex%=^##

                                  The line allows returning focus to the same file that was focused when the
                                  clip was started.

                                  ºvº SL_day# 033 - created 2009.02.02_07.32.15

                                  Man is what he believes.
                                  • Anton Chekhov

                                  € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                                • Scott Fordin
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
                                    > Ugly Me wrote:

                                    I've stayed away from this thread because of the sometimes nasty tone
                                    it has taken, but I have to say, Ugly Me, that your comment about Jody
                                    was unjustifiably callous. There are many good people in this group who
                                    have spent a lot of cycles trying to help you and others, but perhaps
                                    no one was more generous with his time and patience than Jody. Being a
                                    "pest" is one thing; being cold and insensitive is quite another.

                                    Scott
                                  • Ugly Me
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
                                      >I've stayed away from this thread because of the sometimes nasty tone
                                      >it has taken, but I have to say, Ugly Me, that your comment about Jody
                                      >was unjustifiably callous. There are many good people in this group who
                                      >have spent a lot of cycles trying to help you and others, but perhaps
                                      >no one was more generous with his time and patience than Jody. Being a
                                      >"pest" is one thing; being cold and insensitive is quite another.

                                      What can I say, Scott? Jody may have been instrumental to this group and to NoteTab in general but we did clash. While I wish it didn't happen, it did, nevertheless. While she probably did everything the way it was meant to be done, I just didn't fit in. Apparently I still don't as evidenced by this recent but ongoing episode. While I saw it as an ongoing bug, to others like yourself, to paraphrase a cliché, it was a "feature." Again my hat goes off to those for whom the issue was quite obvious. In short, Jody was not the problem - I was, and we clashed. I never meant to say it was her fault.

                                      .

                                    • Alec Burgess
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 3, 2009
                                        Ugly Me (ugly@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-02-02 at
                                        15:12):
                                        > What can I say, Scott? Jody may have been instrumental to this group
                                        > and to NoteTab in general but we did clash. While I wish it didn't
                                        > happen, it did, nevertheless. While she probably did everything the
                                        > way it was meant to be done, I just didn't fit in. Apparently I still
                                        > don't as evidenced by this recent but ongoing episode. While I saw it
                                        > as an ongoing bug, to others like yourself, to paraphrase a cliché,
                                        > it was a "feature." Again my hat goes off to those for whom the issue
                                        > was quite obvious. In short, Jody was not the problem - I was, and we
                                        > clashed. I never meant to say it was her fault.

                                        Hi Ugly ;-)
                                        If you Google [Unicode2ascii] you will find a number of programs that
                                        will convert a Unicode file to ascii (with possible information loss if
                                        they actually HAVE to be Unicode because of special characters they
                                        contain - but I assume this is not a problem for you).
                                        I assume that they will process a batch of files - if there is any
                                        advantage to having your more recent (but still ancient) version of
                                        Notetab you could run one of the conversion programs after retrieving
                                        and before editing.

                                        btw: Jody was a husband, father and grand-father. Not to worry - back in
                                        2001 when I first used Notetab I made the same mistake.

                                        iles - if there is any
                                        advantage to having your more recent (but still ancient) version of
                                        Notetab you could run one of the conversion programs after retrieving
                                        and before editing.<br>
                                        btw: Jody was a husband, father and grand-father. Not to worry - back
                                        in 2001 when I first used Notetab I made the same mistake.<br>
                                        <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
                                        Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)</pre>