Re: [NTB] Re: Bug still not fixed?

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 31, 2009
      lm_hamilton wrote:
      > I am not sure that this is a bug. More information is needed to help
      > with your issue. I have never had a file decide to become read only
      > all by itself, so I suspect something else is going on.
      >
      > 1.) What Version of NoteTab?
      > 2.) What Variety of Notetab? (Light, Standard, Pro, Trial Version?)
      > 3.) What version of Windows? (98, 2000, XP, Vista?)
      > Do you have the security permissions to install software?
      > Where are you NoteTab files located?
      >
      > Once we have this information, we will ask more questions to narrow
      > the scope of the issue.
      >
      > ~ Larry

      I agree with Larry,

      I have windows XP, I am the adminstrator, I use Notetab 5.x and I have
      never experienced this problem. It is probably an issue with your
      particular set-up. I suspect it is a file permissions issue that is
      manifesting itself. I also suspect it is solvable.

      Don
    • Marcelo Bastos
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 31, 2009
        Interviewed by CNN on 1/2/2009 01:22, lm_hamilton told the world:
        > I am not sure that this is a bug. More information is needed to help
        > with your issue. I have never had a file decide to become read only
        > all by itself, so I suspect something else is going on.
        >
        > 1.) What Version of NoteTab?
        > 2.) What Variety of Notetab? (Light, Standard, Pro, Trial Version?)
        > 3.) What version of Windows? (98, 2000, XP, Vista?)
        > Do you have the security permissions to install software?
        > Where are you NoteTab files located?
        >
        > Once we have this information, we will ask more questions to narrow
        > the scope of the issue.

        Hmmm... is that "turning the file read-only" or "locking the file while
        editing?" These are two different things.

        However, for the record: I have often opened the same file
        simultaneously in NoteTab and Microsoft Word (mostly to use Word's
        compare files feature while doing the actual editing in NoteTab). Even
        if I open the file *first* in NoteTab, Word does *not* flag the file as
        read-only (that is, NoteTab does not lock the file for editing). Word
        *does* lock the file, though -- I have to close the file in Word first
        to be able to save the file in NoteTab.

        Marcelo

        -=-=-
        A critic is a man who leaves no turn unstoned.
        * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.14
      • dj Rick Mitchell
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 31, 2009
          the only time I've had such situations is when I've used notetab to call up
          files that were in use already (such as .ini or apache/php/server/website
          configuartion files that the server programs automatically set to read only
          so they don't get changed while they are being used by the program).

          It would be interesting to know exactly which files were involved with the
          so-called bug.

          RICK

          _____

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
            Op zondag 1 februari 2009 02:57 schreef Ugly Me:

            > It's frustrating having to deal with the read-only bug that has
            > lasted for several versions of NoteTab.

            It's not a bug, it's a feature.
            This happens with binary files and unicode files.
            Notetab cannot edit them, and saving an edited version would make them unusable.
            So it's a protection.

            Alex.
          • Bruce Meyers
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
              if you will look in the drop-down Documents menu at the top of NoteTab you will find at the bottom "Read Only"
              If it has a check mark,  click on it and the check mark will disappear and documents will no longer  be made "Read Only" .  If the check mark is there it will make all documents read only.
              you never said that you had done that. If you had and the problem is still there then there must be some other reason documents are being made "read only:.

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                Ugly Me wrote:
                > It's frustrating having to deal with the read-only bug that has lasted for several versions of NoteTab.
                > How does one get past it?
                > More often than not if I open a file for editing, the program places it in "read-only" status for which I have to manually change it.
                > This is not usually a problem except yesterday when I tried to edit a few files at once. That meant having to go to each and every window and manually remove the read-only flag.
                > Maybe I shouldn't ask. After all, I'm not the programmer. However, I still find it bothersome.

                Have the files been previously saved and then MOVED to a different
                computer or hard drive?

                Did you try going to the containing folder and changing the folder's
                properties? (Right click the folder in "explorer" and click
                "Properties", UNCHECK "read only" apply and close, also the ADVANCED
                settings in that window should be checked, and if the "Ready for
                archiving" box is checked UNcheck it, apply and close.

                If these do not work. perhaps there is something mis-set in Notetab itself?
              • Ugly Me
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                  >the only time I've had such situations is when I've used notetab to call up
                  >files that were in use already (such as .ini or apache/php/server/website
                  >configuartion files that the server programs automatically set to read only
                  >so they don't get changed while they are being used by the program).
                  >
                  >It would be interesting to know exactly which files were involved with the
                  >so-called bug.

                  Usually unattached text files (as in, not linked directly to anything else).

                  Yesterday these files were HTML code. Initially when I loaded them into NoteTab they were NOT in use in a browser, but even when I had to manually remove read-only status from each and every one, the edited code worked fine in the browser, and saved in NoteTab even while using both at the same time.

                  I thought back. It wasn't always that way, or I never would have paid for NoteTab.

                  That's when I went through my archives and realized that it must have changed sometime aver version 4.51 which serves my needs.

                  .

                • Ugly Me
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                        There is also a clip made by Jody (miss him...) that changes the
                        attributes on an entire directory of files.

                        Check the Clips group archive for it, (directory stuff.clb, I think).

                        Jeff
                      • loro
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                          Ugly Me wrote:
                          > Yesterday these files were HTML code.

                          Yeah, and they were saved as Unicode. :-)

                          Lotta
                        • Ugly Me
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                              >I am not sure that this is a bug. More information is needed to help
                              >with your issue. I have never had a file decide to become read only
                              >all by itself, so I suspect something else is going on.
                              >
                              >1.) What Version of NoteTab?

                              It seems to be version 4.6 and newer. Possibly 4.52

                              >2.) What Variety of Notetab? (Light, Standard, Pro, Trial Version?)

                              I haven't experiemented with others but it's NoteTab Pro.

                              >3.) What version of Windows? (98, 2000, XP, Vista?)

                              Win2K SP4

                              >Do you have the security permissions to install software?

                              I sure hope so. My machine. And of course if I don't, for some reason, it's remedied.

                              >Where are you NoteTab files located?

                              That depends on how you define it.

                              -At home

                              -On the hard drive (as opposed to a network or CD/DVD)

                              >Once we have this information, we will ask more questions to narrow
                              >the scope of the issue.

                              Thanks. Although I'm getting to the backlog of replies and thank you all.

                              The surprise (to me) revelation of unicode etc. caught me off guard and I'll certainly have to look into it.

                              While I have finally edited the files in question with an older version of NoteTab I can do a "test" edit to see. It's just that it was really frustrating to have several HTML files, and wanting to do a "simple" edit, since NoteTab allowed a search & replace across all open files, only to find that I had to remove read-only status that I never set to begin with. Given the recent suggestion about unicode files (and believe me, I have no idea if they are or aren't) I will have to test it out.

                              So I offer a premature "thanks" to everyone, and hopefully that's all that it is.

                              Either way I appreciate all your help.

                              -Sean

                              .

                            • Ugly Me
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                                >Hmmm... is that "turning the file read-only" or "locking the file while
                                >editing?" These are two different things.
                                >
                                >However, for the record: I have often opened the same file
                                >simultaneously in NoteTab and Microsoft Word (mostly to use Word's
                                >compare files feature while doing the actual editing in NoteTab). Even
                                >if I open the file *first* in NoteTab, Word does *not* flag the file as
                                >read-only (that is, NoteTab does not lock the file for editing).

                                Not only does it not lock the file in these cases (totally different and I've encountered that too) but if the file is changed for any reason outside of NoteTab I get a message stating that the file has changed, with the option of re-loading the updated version.

                                Oh yes, I do use a Windows Explorer replacement so file attributes are easily seen at all times. I do know ahead of time what the attribute flags are.

                                And as I said in another message, NoteTab changes them itself. I get the message when files load. Also again, I'll check out the "unicode" aspect suggested to see if it has any effect.

                                .

                              • Jeff Scism
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                                  Ugly Me wrote:
> [...]
                                  They have to be LOADED from somewhere, unless you have them unsaved.
                                • hsavage
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
                                    Jeff Scism wrote:
                                    > Ugly Me wrote:

                                    Ugly,

                                    I don't think this is a bug. I think it's working exactly as designed.

                                    Notetab recognizes if the file is a Unicode text file or UTF-8 Web page
                                    and makes it Read-Only, within NoteTab, upon loading.

                                    This doesn't necessarily mean the disk file is Read-Only also.

                                    I run into this now and then but until now it wasn't such a problem that it
                                    required writing a clip.

                                    I have written a clip now that should check all open files and those that
                                    are Unicode text files or UTF-8 Web pages should change status to allow
                                    editing. I haven't a very good way of testing this clip because I seldom
                                    run into a Unicode or UTF-8 Web page.

                                    I realize this is not the clips list but I'll insert the clip and CC this
                                    message to the clips list, which you can put into a clipbar, and the next
                                    time you have several files loaded you can run the clip on the open files.

                                    As I said, I can't reliably test it but, it should work.

                                    H="Change Loaded UniCodeFile Write-ability"
                                    ^!Set %docindex%=C:\Documents and Settings\User\desktop\emdoc.emd
                                    ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
                                    ^!Set %openfilenum%=^$GetDocCount$; %openfileindex%=0
                                    :LOOP
                                    ^!Inc %openfileindex%
                                    ^!SetDocIndex ^%openfileindex%
                                    ;
                                    ; Changes the NoteTab Read-Only status if FileName
                                    ; is a Unicode text file or UTF-8 Web page
                                    ;
                                    ^!IfFileUnicode "^$GetDocName(^%openfileindex%)$" NEXT ELSE SKIP
                                    ^!KeyBoard Shift+Ctrl+R
                                    ;
                                    ; the next line would help if the disk file were read-only but I doubt
                                    that it is
                                    ; ^!SetFileAttr "^$GetDocName(^%openfileindex)$" -r
                                    ^!If ^%openfileindex% = ^%openfilenum% NEXT ELSE LOOP
                                    ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(^%docindex%)$

                                    ºvº SL_day# 032 - created 2009.02.01_23.14.12

                                    Life is a thirst.
                                    • Leonard Michaels

                                    € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                                  • hsavage
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
                                      hsavage wrote:
                                      > Jeff Scism wrote:
                                      >> Ugly Me wrote:

                                      All, Ugly,

                                      Sorry about this, the first line in the clip above was changed by
                                      copying and
                                      pasting into the email.

                                      This should be the first Line.

                                      ^!Set %docindex%=^##

                                      The line allows returning focus to the same file that was focused when the
                                      clip was started.

                                      ºvº SL_day# 033 - created 2009.02.02_07.32.15

                                      Man is what he believes.
                                      • Anton Chekhov

                                      € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                                    • Scott Fordin
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
                                        > Ugly Me wrote:

                                        I've stayed away from this thread because of the sometimes nasty tone
                                        it has taken, but I have to say, Ugly Me, that your comment about Jody
                                        was unjustifiably callous. There are many good people in this group who
                                        have spent a lot of cycles trying to help you and others, but perhaps
                                        no one was more generous with his time and patience than Jody. Being a
                                        "pest" is one thing; being cold and insensitive is quite another.

                                        Scott
                                      • Ugly Me
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
                                          >I've stayed away from this thread because of the sometimes nasty tone
                                          >it has taken, but I have to say, Ugly Me, that your comment about Jody
                                          >was unjustifiably callous. There are many good people in this group who
                                          >have spent a lot of cycles trying to help you and others, but perhaps
                                          >no one was more generous with his time and patience than Jody. Being a
                                          >"pest" is one thing; being cold and insensitive is quite another.

                                          What can I say, Scott? Jody may have been instrumental to this group and to NoteTab in general but we did clash. While I wish it didn't happen, it did, nevertheless. While she probably did everything the way it was meant to be done, I just didn't fit in. Apparently I still don't as evidenced by this recent but ongoing episode. While I saw it as an ongoing bug, to others like yourself, to paraphrase a cliché, it was a "feature." Again my hat goes off to those for whom the issue was quite obvious. In short, Jody was not the problem - I was, and we clashed. I never meant to say it was her fault.

                                          .

                                        • Alec Burgess
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Feb 3, 2009
                                            Ugly Me (ugly@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-02-02 at
                                            15:12):
                                            > What can I say, Scott? Jody may have been instrumental to this group
                                            > and to NoteTab in general but we did clash. While I wish it didn't
                                            > happen, it did, nevertheless. While she probably did everything the
                                            > way it was meant to be done, I just didn't fit in. Apparently I still
                                            > don't as evidenced by this recent but ongoing episode. While I saw it
                                            > as an ongoing bug, to others like yourself, to paraphrase a cliché,
                                            > it was a "feature." Again my hat goes off to those for whom the issue
                                            > was quite obvious. In short, Jody was not the problem - I was, and we
                                            > clashed. I never meant to say it was her fault.

                                            Hi Ugly ;-)
                                            If you Google [Unicode2ascii] you will find a number of programs that
                                            will convert a Unicode file to ascii (with possible information loss if
                                            they actually HAVE to be Unicode because of special characters they
                                            contain - but I assume this is not a problem for you).
                                            I assume that they will process a batch of files - if there is any
                                            advantage to having your more recent (but still ancient) version of
                                            Notetab you could run one of the conversion programs after retrieving
                                            and before editing.

                                            btw: Jody was a husband, father and grand-father. Not to worry - back in
                                            2001 when I first used Notetab I made the same mistake.

                                            iles - if there is any
                                            advantage to having your more recent (but still ancient) version of
                                            Notetab you could run one of the conversion programs after retrieving
                                            and before editing.<br>
                                            btw: Jody was a husband, father and grand-father. Not to worry - back
                                            in 2001 when I first used Notetab I made the same mistake.<br>
                                            <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
                                            Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)</pre>