How Do I Display Byte Location?

  • jim9z
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 30, 2009
      How do I display the character (byte) the cursor is resting on. The
      line and character on that line are displayed on the bottom left but I
      cannot find the total character depth. For example, if the document
      has 100,000 characters, is the cursor resting on character 55,321.
    • loro
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 30, 2009
        jim9z wrote:
        >How do I display the character (byte) the cursor is resting on. The
        >line and character on that line are displayed on the bottom left but I
        >cannot find the total character depth. For example, if the document
        >has 100,000 characters, is the cursor resting on character 55,321.

        Text Statistics. Try Ctrl+Shift+Home Alt+T S.

        Lotta
      • jim9z
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2009
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

          > Text Statistics. Try Ctrl+Shift+Home Alt+T S.

          Thanks. Kinda clumsy but it works.

          As first I thought you had to press all those key at once. :)

          That could also be said as:

          Highlight all text from beginning of document to target character
          Select Tools > Text Statistics.

          Now, is there a way to target a specific character location?

          For example, if the document has 100,000 characters, how can you
          position the cursor on character 55,321.
        • loro
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2009
            jim9z wrote:
            >Thanks. Kinda clumsy but it works.
            >
            >As first I thought you had to press all those key at once. :)

            I'm a meanie! ;-) You can also have a button on the button bar for
            Text Statistics.

            >Now, is there a way to target a specific character location?

            Move the cursor there? I don't think so, but it could be done with a
            clip (^!MoveCursor). There is a problem though. Text Statistics
            doesn't count line breaks, a clip would see a line break as 2 characters.

            Lotta
          • jim9z
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2009
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

              > Text Statistics. Try Ctrl+Shift+Home Alt+T S.

              I'm not sure what this implies but . . .

              After making the selection the number of bytes in the selection is
              shown on the status (bottom) bar. That number is different than the
              number you get when going to Text Statistics.

              Also, going to Text Statistics changes the selection.
            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2009
                loro wrote:
                > jim9z wrote:
                >> Thanks. Kinda clumsy but it works.
                >>
                >> As first I thought you had to press all those key at once. :)
                >
                > I'm a meanie! ;-) You can also have a button on the button bar for
                > Text Statistics.
                >
                >> Now, is there a way to target a specific character location?
                >
                > Move the cursor there? I don't think so, but it could be done with a
                > clip (^!MoveCursor). There is a problem though. Text Statistics
                > doesn't count line breaks, a clip would see a line break as 2 characters.
                >
                > Lotta

                We did this a while back on here. It wound up as you say having
                troubles with counting line breaks as two characters. Not sure we ever
                quite solved it.
              • loro
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2009
                  jim9z wrote:
                  >After making the selection the number of bytes in the selection is
                  >shown on the status (bottom) bar. That number is different than the
                  >number you get when going to Text Statistics.

                  Yeah, in the number on the stutus bar, linebreaks are included (counted).

                  >Also, going to Text Statistics changes the selection.

                  Doesn't happen for me.

                  Lotta
                • loro
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 1, 2009
                    Don wrote:
                    >We did this a while back on here. It wound up as you say having
                    >troubles with counting line breaks as two characters. Not sure we ever
                    >quite solved it.

                    Remember what thread it was? I guess you could count all ^P and
                    subtract that number from the total number (if that's what one wants).

                    Lotta
                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 1, 2009
                      loro wrote:
                      > Don wrote:
                      >> We did this a while back on here. It wound up as you say having
                      >> troubles with counting line breaks as two characters. Not sure we ever
                      >> quite solved it.
                      >
                      > Remember what thread it was? I guess you could count all ^P and
                      > subtract that number from the total number (if that's what one wants).
                      >
                      > Lotta

                      I think it was about here:

                      Issue was how do you count line feeds ...