Re: [NTB] Column count & text wrapping...

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 17, 2009
      On 17 Jan 09 17:15 Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...> said:
      > Text Wrapping on Screen: In NoteTab pro there is a setting that
      > forces text to wrap at the edge of the window. I believe that in
      > other versions you need to manually force text to wrap to the
      > screen. Where text wraps on screen bares no relation to where it
      > might wrap on paper, which depends on the font, font size, margins
      > etc.

      I should have added, that with text editors, unless you use their
      "wrap to window" function text normally only wraps after a carriage
      return/new line, so paragraphs appear as a single line and you need to
      use the horizontal scroll bar to read it.

      Greg
    • pilgrimcs
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 17, 2009
        Greg:

        Very useful response, and you're correct that I was trying to untangle
        the differences between WP's & text editors. I'm using Notetab Pro
        with an eye toward building some lean/tight documents that I can
        easily search for words, sentences or phrases concerning the same
        topic. I'm also going to learn Notetab's outlining feature.

        Because I'd like to use the same editor for personal search
        files/documents and future HTML work, I chose Notetab. (It wasn't an
        easy decision given the vast numbers of these things.

        Again, I appreciate your help.

        SP

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Steve,
        >
        > On 17 Jan 09 15:42 "pilgrimcs" <steve.pilgrim@...> said:
        > > I'm new and confused about width of text on a printed page, text
        > > wrapping on screen, margins and number of columns. Can someone
        point
        > > me toward something that will help me understand how these topics
        > > are related (or not).
        > >
        > > I plan to use Notetab to produce documents - and the occasional
        web
        > > page- but, I'm also going to print documents from time to time.
        Any
        > > help is appreciated.
        >
        > First you need to recognise the difference between a text editor
        (e.g.
        > NoteTab) and a word processor (e.g. Microsoft Word). The first just
        > provides facilities to edit text, the second both edits and formats
        > text. Your questions mainly relate to the formatting and
        presentation
        > of text on paper, so it maybe that NoteTab is not best suited to
        your
        > purpose.
        >
        > You also need to be aware that NoteTab comes in a couple of
        flavours,
        > NoteTab Light and Standard use a slightly different programming
        > control that affects the way that text wraps on screen. Let us know
        > which version you are using.
        >
        > With that in mind, your the terms you mention...
        >
        > Width of text:
        > Mainly a function of text formatting, so only applies to word
        > processors and usually measures the width on paper between the
        margins
        > (Margins: the unprinted zone around the edge of the page.)
        >
        > Text Wrapping on Screen:
        > In NoteTab pro there is a setting that forces text to wrap at the
        edge
        > of the window. I believe that in other versions you need to manually
        > force text to wrap to the screen. Where text wraps on screen bares
        no
        > relation to where it might wrap on paper, which depends on the font,
        > font size, margins etc.
        >
        > Columns:
        > Most often relevant to programmers/coders. Used to refer to the
        > postion from the left edge of the window/left margin, counted in
        > characters typed. As a result it only has much meaning when using a
        > mono-spaced font such as "Courier New", where every character,
        whether
        > a letter "i" or "w", is the same width.
        >
        > Greg

      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 17, 2009
          pilgrimcs wrote:
          > Greg:
          >
          > Very useful response, and you're correct that I was trying to untangle
          > the differences between WP's & text editors. I'm using Notetab Pro
          > with an eye toward building some lean/tight documents that I can
          > easily search for words, sentences or phrases concerning the same
          > topic. I'm also going to learn Notetab's outlining feature.
          >
          > Because I'd like to use the same editor for personal search
          > files/documents and future HTML work, I chose Notetab. (It wasn't an
          > easy decision given the vast numbers of these things.
          >
          > Again, I appreciate your help.
          >
          > SP

          Once you see how powerful this thing is, you'll realize that you made
          the right choice! This program is the bomb.

          I use something called txtprint and a clip that goes with it usually
          when I print from notetab. It gives me all kinds of control over my
          printouts.

          I didn't read all of Greg's response, but I usually work with wordwrap
          on for screen reading and off for any search/clip/etc. work.