Re: [NTB] cvs flies

  • Alan G
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
      On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:50:28 -0000, Greg Chapman
      <gregchapmanuk@...> wrote in part:

      > Hi Bob,
      >
      > On 13 Jan 09 08:04 "David Smart" <smartware.consulting@...>
      > said:
      >
      > > If it's small, just do it. The columns are separated by commas.
      >
      > or, possibly more common, tabs.

      CSV means Comma Separated Values. So by definition, the values in a CSV
      file are separated by commas.

      Alan G
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
        Hi Alan,

        On 13 Jan 09 12:47 Alan G <alan_g@...> said:

        > CSV means Comma Separated Values. So by definition, the values in a
        > CSV file are separated by commas.

        You're right, of course. I must have spent too much time with Excel
        which handles tab delimited data with the same wizard. :-(

        Greg
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
          Greg Chapman wrote:
          > Hi Alan,
          >
          > On 13 Jan 09 12:47 Alan G <alan_g@...> said:
          >> CSV means Comma Separated Values. So by definition, the values in a
          >> CSV file are separated by commas.
          >
          > You're right, of course. I must have spent too much time with Excel
          > which handles tab delimited data with the same wizard. :-(
          >
          > Greg

          While CSV means Comma Separated Values, other delimiters are often used,
          including tabs, pipes, semi-colons, etc.

          Excel, Open Office Calc and CSVed are all great programs to use when
          handling this type of data.

          I also use notetab a LOT when handling these types of files. Clips work
          well on them. Jody's (moment of thankful silence) noteblock library
          does wonderful things with csv files in notetab. Different jobs require
          different and many tools.

          You can easily write an input wizard to create csv (or comma delimited)
          data with notetab. Once you have csv data you can easily manipulate it
          using notetab.

          I hope the guy who asked these questions is still with us. Maybe he can
          tell us more about his project and we can help him. He may want to take
          it to either off topic or clips I suspect (which are different groups of
          notetab enthusiasts).
        • Bruce Meyers
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
            check out this location:

            http://www.imf.org/external/help/csv.htm

            to read "How to use csv files"

            Bruce Meyers

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
              One comment to add:
              When using Excel (or OpenOffice-Calc) together with Notetab its very
              handy to copy a section from a spreadsheet displayed in Excel and then
              paste in Notetab - it comes in with TAB separators - and then manipulate
              with either Find/Replace from the dialog or use purpose written clips ,
              copy again and paste back at the same (or different) location in Excel.

              Don - HtmlFixIt.com (don@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-01-13
              at 09:33):