Re: [NTB] cvs flies

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
      If it's small, just do it. The columns are separated by commas. It'll only
      get (a little) complex if you need to have commas in your data. In that
      case, you'll need to put the data in quotes.

      Regards, Dave S

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
        Hi Bob,

        On 13 Jan 09 08:04 "David Smart" <smartware.consulting@...>
        said:
        > If it's small, just do it. The columns are separated by commas.

        or, possibly more common, tabs.

        > It'll only get (a little) complex if you need to have commas in your
        > data. In that case, you'll need to put the data in quotes.

        This was my reacion to the question too. However, if it's complex I
        was impressed with the hsavage solution
        (http://csved.sjfrancke.nl/index.html). Neat!

        Greg
      • Alan G
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
          On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:50:28 -0000, Greg Chapman
          <gregchapmanuk@...> wrote in part:

          > Hi Bob,
          >
          > On 13 Jan 09 08:04 "David Smart" <smartware.consulting@...>
          > said:
          >
          > > If it's small, just do it. The columns are separated by commas.
          >
          > or, possibly more common, tabs.

          CSV means Comma Separated Values. So by definition, the values in a CSV
          file are separated by commas.

          Alan G
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
            Hi Alan,

            On 13 Jan 09 12:47 Alan G <alan_g@...> said:

            > CSV means Comma Separated Values. So by definition, the values in a
            > CSV file are separated by commas.

            You're right, of course. I must have spent too much time with Excel
            which handles tab delimited data with the same wizard. :-(

            Greg
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
              Greg Chapman wrote:
              > Hi Alan,
              >
              > On 13 Jan 09 12:47 Alan G <alan_g@...> said:
              >> CSV means Comma Separated Values. So by definition, the values in a
              >> CSV file are separated by commas.
              >
              > You're right, of course. I must have spent too much time with Excel
              > which handles tab delimited data with the same wizard. :-(
              >
              > Greg

              While CSV means Comma Separated Values, other delimiters are often used,
              including tabs, pipes, semi-colons, etc.

              Excel, Open Office Calc and CSVed are all great programs to use when
              handling this type of data.

              I also use notetab a LOT when handling these types of files. Clips work
              well on them. Jody's (moment of thankful silence) noteblock library
              does wonderful things with csv files in notetab. Different jobs require
              different and many tools.

              You can easily write an input wizard to create csv (or comma delimited)
              data with notetab. Once you have csv data you can easily manipulate it
              using notetab.

              I hope the guy who asked these questions is still with us. Maybe he can
              tell us more about his project and we can help him. He may want to take
              it to either off topic or clips I suspect (which are different groups of
              notetab enthusiasts).
            • Bruce Meyers
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
                check out this location:

                http://www.imf.org/external/help/csv.htm

                to read "How to use csv files"

                Bruce Meyers

                I lust got Note Tab light and need to make small a CSV file.Qusetion

                will this program work for me? Ido not how to make col. like A,B AND C

                THANKS Bob

              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
                  One comment to add:
                  When using Excel (or OpenOffice-Calc) together with Notetab its very
                  handy to copy a section from a spreadsheet displayed in Excel and then
                  paste in Notetab - it comes in with TAB separators - and then manipulate
                  with either Find/Replace from the dialog or use purpose written clips ,
                  copy again and paste back at the same (or different) location in Excel.

                  Don - HtmlFixIt.com (don@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-01-13
                  at 09:33):