cvs flies

  • sonicqw2000
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 12, 2009
      I lust got Note Tab light and need to make small a CSV file.Qusetion
      will this program work for me? Ido not how to make col. like A,B AND C
      THANKS Bob
    • Jeff Seager
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 12, 2009
        Technically, yes, Bob. You could use NoteTab to create a CSV file, but it would be laborious and unintuitive, and there are better tools that would make more sense. For example, OpenOffice includes a spreadsheet program that is comparable to Microsoft Excel, and OpenOffice is open source and free. If I recall correctly, OpenOffice gives you the option of installing the entire suite or any combination of component programs.

        CSV is a valuable intermediate format for importing and exporting data in a universal, non-proprietary format. It isn't very useful or understandable other than that, unless you're a machine.

        Good luck!
        Jeff

        To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
        From: p.pelicanzq@...
        Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:35:40 +0000
        Subject: [NTB] cvs flies

        I lust got Note Tab light and need to make small a CSV file.Qusetion

        will this program work for me? Ido not how to make col. like A,B AND C

        THANKS Bob

        .

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 12, 2009
          Jeff Seager wrote:
          > Technically, yes, Bob. You could use NoteTab to create a CSV file, but it
          > would be laborious and unintuitive, and there are better tools that would
          > make more sense. For example, OpenOffice includes a spreadsheet program
          > that is comparable to Microsoft Excel, and OpenOffice is open source and
          > free. If I recall correctly, OpenOffice gives you the option of
          installing
          > the entire suite or any combination of component programs.
          >
          > CSV is a valuable intermediate format for importing and exporting
          data in a
          > universal, non-proprietary format. It isn't very useful or understandable
          > other than that, unless you're a machine.
          >
          > Good luck!
          > Jeff
          >
          > To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
          > From: p.pelicanzq@...
          > Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:35:40 +0000
          > Subject: [NTB] cvs flies
          >
          > I lust got Note Tab light and need to make small a CSV file.Qusetion
          > will this program work for me? Ido not how to make col. like A,B AND C
          > THANKS Bob

          Bob,

          You might try CSVed, the link download link is

          http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.franck/e/csved/csvedsetup.exe

          the website is

          http://csved.sjfrancke.nl/index.html

          This is cardware and should handle any CSV database you need.

          ºvº SL_day# 012 - created 2009.01.12_19.21.58

          *PASSING SCHOOL ZONE*
          • *TAKE IT SLOW*
          • *LET OUR LITTLE*
          • *SHAVERS GROW*
          • *BurmaShave*

          € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com

        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
            If it's small, just do it. The columns are separated by commas. It'll only
            get (a little) complex if you need to have commas in your data. In that
            case, you'll need to put the data in quotes.

            Regards, Dave S

            >I lust got Note Tab light and need to make small a CSV file.Qusetion
            > will this program work for me? Ido not how to make col. like A,B AND C
            > THANKS Bob

          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
              Hi Bob,

              On 13 Jan 09 08:04 "David Smart" <smartware.consulting@...>
              said:
              > If it's small, just do it. The columns are separated by commas.

              or, possibly more common, tabs.

              > It'll only get (a little) complex if you need to have commas in your
              > data. In that case, you'll need to put the data in quotes.

              This was my reacion to the question too. However, if it's complex I
              was impressed with the hsavage solution
              (http://csved.sjfrancke.nl/index.html). Neat!

              Greg
            • Alan G
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
                On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:50:28 -0000, Greg Chapman
                <gregchapmanuk@...> wrote in part:

                > Hi Bob,
                >
                > On 13 Jan 09 08:04 "David Smart" <smartware.consulting@...>
                > said:
                >
                > > If it's small, just do it. The columns are separated by commas.
                >
                > or, possibly more common, tabs.

                CSV means Comma Separated Values. So by definition, the values in a CSV
                file are separated by commas.

                Alan G
              • Greg Chapman
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
                  Hi Alan,

                  On 13 Jan 09 12:47 Alan G <alan_g@...> said:

                  > CSV means Comma Separated Values. So by definition, the values in a
                  > CSV file are separated by commas.

                  You're right, of course. I must have spent too much time with Excel
                  which handles tab delimited data with the same wizard. :-(

                  Greg
                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
                    Greg Chapman wrote:
                    > Hi Alan,
                    >
                    > On 13 Jan 09 12:47 Alan G <alan_g@...> said:
                    >> CSV means Comma Separated Values. So by definition, the values in a
                    >> CSV file are separated by commas.
                    >
                    > You're right, of course. I must have spent too much time with Excel
                    > which handles tab delimited data with the same wizard. :-(
                    >
                    > Greg

                    While CSV means Comma Separated Values, other delimiters are often used,
                    including tabs, pipes, semi-colons, etc.

                    Excel, Open Office Calc and CSVed are all great programs to use when
                    handling this type of data.

                    I also use notetab a LOT when handling these types of files. Clips work
                    well on them. Jody's (moment of thankful silence) noteblock library
                    does wonderful things with csv files in notetab. Different jobs require
                    different and many tools.

                    You can easily write an input wizard to create csv (or comma delimited)
                    data with notetab. Once you have csv data you can easily manipulate it
                    using notetab.

                    I hope the guy who asked these questions is still with us. Maybe he can
                    tell us more about his project and we can help him. He may want to take
                    it to either off topic or clips I suspect (which are different groups of
                    notetab enthusiasts).
                  • Bruce Meyers
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
                      check out this location:

                      http://www.imf.org/external/help/csv.htm

                      to read "How to use csv files"

                      Bruce Meyers

                      I lust got Note Tab light and need to make small a CSV file.Qusetion

                      will this program work for me? Ido not how to make col. like A,B AND C

                      THANKS Bob

                    • Alec Burgess
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
                        One comment to add:
                        When using Excel (or OpenOffice-Calc) together with Notetab its very
                        handy to copy a section from a spreadsheet displayed in Excel and then
                        paste in Notetab - it comes in with TAB separators - and then manipulate
                        with either Find/Replace from the dialog or use purpose written clips ,
                        copy again and paste back at the same (or different) location in Excel.

                        Don - HtmlFixIt.com (don@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-01-13
                        at 09:33):