Re: [NTB] Re: Function to display only certain lines of a large file?

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 6, 2008
      That takes me back!! I used SNOBOL (the original) when automating
      extracting of abstract circulation for publications in a technical library.
      I stopped working there just as SNOBOL4 came out IIRC,

      Regards, Dave S

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2008
        On Sun, 7 Dec 2008, "David Smart" <smartware.consulting@...> wrote
        in part:

        | That takes me back!! I used SNOBOL (the original) when automating
        | extracting of abstract circulation for publications in a technical
        | library. I stopped working there just as SNOBOL4 came out IIRC,

        Me too. I first encountered SNOBOL on the IBM 1620 in the engineering
        department at Old Dominion University around 1964. As I recall, we ran
        it on a "barefoot" 1620, a machine with only 20,000 decimal digits of
        "core" memory and no hardware divide. The only I/O devices were a card
        reader/punch and a console typewriter. The compiler was loaded from a
        card deck; we had no disk or tape drive.

        While we were limited in the volume of text could be retained in
        variables, we were certainly able to learn the fundamentals of this
        fascinating language.

        Alan G
      • David Smart
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6, 2008
          Mine would have been later 60's. Also punched cards. I was accessing CSIRO
          (Australia's government scientific organisation) Control Data 3200, 3600 and
          Cyber 7600 mainframes. Probably running smaller jobs like this on the 3200,
          while the bigger machines were used for large scale data analysis.

          Punched cards, of course, and by courier to the computer from about 25 km
          away. We were thrilled when we halved our turnaround. We went from one
          courier run per day to two. :-)

          > ... this fascinating language.

          Agreed. We were doing our scientific computing in FORTRAN and this was a
          radical departure and intensely interesting.

          (Sorry NTB'ers, we're OT - but forgive us oldies reminiscing.)

          Regards, Dave S