Function to display only certain lines of a large file?

  • Mike Moon
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2008
      Is there a function in Notetab that will only display certain lines
      containing a given string? I tried searching the forum on "Filter",
      but that didn't turn up much. For example, if every 5th line contained
      ABCD, I want to show only those lines containing that string.

      Thanks,
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 5, 2008
        Mike Moon wrote:
        > Is there a function in Notetab that will only display certain lines
        > containing a given string? I tried searching the forum on "Filter",
        > but that didn't turn up much. For example, if every 5th line contained
        > ABCD, I want to show only those lines containing that string.
        >
        > Thanks,

        No and Yes.

        You cannot simply filter the file and show some but not other parts.

        You can search the file, remove all lines not containing ABCD and then
        look at it, but the file has then been altered.

        If you go to the clips list we can discuss how as a clip would do it
        best, although I believe you can do it with a regex as well without a
        clip. By regex I mean a search and replace using Regular Expressions.
        I'll admit I don't know for sure how if it is possible, however.

        However, I know that you can do it with clips using two lines like this:
        ^!Select All
        ^!SetListDelimiter ^P
        ^$GetDocMatchAll(".*ABCD.*";0)$

        THIS IS NOT THE CLIPS LIST so please do not reply to the clip portion of
        this post on this list. Clips are only discussed on the clips list.
      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 5, 2008
          Mike Moon wrote:
          > Is there a function in Notetab that will only display certain lines
          > containing a given string? I tried searching the forum on "Filter",
          > but that didn't turn up much. For example, if every 5th line contained
          > ABCD, I want to show only those lines containing that string.
          >
          > Thanks,

          While you can't filter the lines shown in the document pane pe se, with
          a clip you could show yourself lines that match a given expression. The
          matches could be shown in a popup window or in a new document tab.

          Regards,
          Sheri
        • John H. Lindsay
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 6, 2008
            Hi,

            This is a SNOBOL4-type of job -- SNOBOL4 is a character string matching
            and manipulation language, and actually too, very much more than that.
            Have
            a look at

            http://www.snobol4.com

            While one can purchase several SNOBOL4 systems, there are free ones,
            and even the somewhat limited Vanilla SNOBOL4 available free at that
            site is more than enough for this sort of job.

            John.
          • David Smart
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 6, 2008
              That takes me back!! I used SNOBOL (the original) when automating
              extracting of abstract circulation for publications in a technical library.
              I stopped working there just as SNOBOL4 came out IIRC,

              Regards, Dave S

              > This is a SNOBOL4-type of job -- SNOBOL4 is a character string matching
              > and manipulation language, and actually too, very much more than that.
              > Have
              > a look at
              >
              > http://www.snobol4.com
              >
              > While one can purchase several SNOBOL4 systems, there are free ones,
              > and even the somewhat limited Vanilla SNOBOL4 available free at that
              > site is more than enough for this sort of job.
              >
              > John.

            • Alan G
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 6, 2008
                On Sun, 7 Dec 2008, "David Smart" <smartware.consulting@...> wrote
                in part:

                | That takes me back!! I used SNOBOL (the original) when automating
                | extracting of abstract circulation for publications in a technical
                | library. I stopped working there just as SNOBOL4 came out IIRC,

                Me too. I first encountered SNOBOL on the IBM 1620 in the engineering
                department at Old Dominion University around 1964. As I recall, we ran
                it on a "barefoot" 1620, a machine with only 20,000 decimal digits of
                "core" memory and no hardware divide. The only I/O devices were a card
                reader/punch and a console typewriter. The compiler was loaded from a
                card deck; we had no disk or tape drive.

                While we were limited in the volume of text could be retained in
                variables, we were certainly able to learn the fundamentals of this
                fascinating language.

                Alan G
              • David Smart
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 6, 2008
                  Mine would have been later 60's. Also punched cards. I was accessing CSIRO
                  (Australia's government scientific organisation) Control Data 3200, 3600 and
                  Cyber 7600 mainframes. Probably running smaller jobs like this on the 3200,
                  while the bigger machines were used for large scale data analysis.

                  Punched cards, of course, and by courier to the computer from about 25 km
                  away. We were thrilled when we halved our turnaround. We went from one
                  courier run per day to two. :-)

                  > ... this fascinating language.

                  Agreed. We were doing our scientific computing in FORTRAN and this was a
                  radical departure and intensely interesting.

                  (Sorry NTB'ers, we're OT - but forgive us oldies reminiscing.)

                  Regards, Dave S