Confused about saving files

  • Linnea
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 25, 2008
      I am fairly knowledgeable for an old lady who's using a PC, Windows
      XP, but not technical enough for the Notetab Pro. I have Notetab
      Standard and do I love it...it comes up in a flash and I can paste
      something in that perhaps I copied 5 minutes ago, so unlike Word, and
      I am learning all the time, love the Clips, etc.
      I have been saving all my files in Notetabs and also saving them in
      the various categories of folders I've made in Favorites: Books,
      Politics, etc.
      I copied the entire Note Tab Standard folder over to my laptop and
      was dismayed that the program only shows what I entered into it on
      the laptop, I have copied the files into that computer's Notetabs
      folder, but nothing is filed under Books, Politics.
      What else should I be doing? To really save a file in a category,
      should I keep it in My Documents as well?
      I've tried to figure this out from the Help and forums but can't.

      I copy all the files from the Notetabs folder that's on the Desktop
      over to the laptop and then must drag them in one by one to their
      proper folders. I quit doing that!

      I don't quite know what to do either with all the files building up
      in the program, there are too many now. I've made 1,000's of files
      since installing NoteTab, bless it.

      Thanks for any help.
      ~~Britta
    • Al Guevara
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 25, 2008
        You should INSTALLL (not copy) the program on the laptop.
        THEN copy over your personal files and settings files, etc.

        Of course you'd have to pay for another copy of Std, but I may be wrong on this licensing issue.

        AL

        From: Linnea <ronlin2@...>
        To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [NTB] Confused about saving files

        >I am fairly knowledgeable for an old lady who's using a PC, Windows
        >XP, but not technical enough for the Notetab Pro. I have Notetab
        >Standard and do I love it...it comes up in a flash and I can paste
        >something in that perhaps I copied 5 minutes ago, so unlike Word, and
        >I am learning all the time, love the Clips, etc.
        > I have been saving all my files in Notetabs and also saving them in
        >the various categories of folders I've made in Favorites: Books,
        >Politics, etc.
        > I copied the entire Note Tab Standard folder over to my laptop and
        >was dismayed that the program only shows what I entered into it on
        >the laptop, I have copied the files into that computer's Notetabs
        >folder, but nothing is filed under Books, Politics.
        > What else should I be doing? To really save a file in a category,
        >should I keep it in My Documents as well?
        > I've tried to figure this out from the Help and forums but can't.

        >I copy all the files from the Notetabs folder that's on the Desktop
        >over to the laptop and then must drag them in one by one to their
        >proper folders. I quit doing that!

        >I don't quite know what to do either with all the files building up
        >in the program, there are too many now. I've made 1,000's of files
        >since installing NoteTab, bless it.

        >Thanks for any help.
        >~~Britta

      • loro
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 25, 2008
          Hi Linnea,

          > I have been saving all my files in Notetabs and also saving them in
          >the various categories of folders I've made in Favorites: Books,
          >Politics, etc.

          Adding a document to Favorites doesn't save it. Favorites are just
          references to files somewhere on your HD, just as when you bookmark a
          webpage in your browser, the actual page isn't saved, just a shortcut to it.

          If you go to Favorites (Shift + F2) and select a document in the
          list, you can see the path to that document in the little window at
          the bottom. You can also read the master files for your favorites
          directly. They are in a folder named "Favorites" inside Notetab's
          program folder and they have the extension .fvr. They are just plain
          text files, lso you can go ahead and open them in Notetab. Each one
          contains a list of paths to the documents you've added to that favorites group.

          I could be wrong, but my guess is you need to collect those files
          from where they are on your PC and copy them to your laptop and then
          create new FVR files for them. That's easily done since you can
          create the .frv files manually.

          Hope I guessed somewhat right. :-)
          Lotta
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 25, 2008
            linnea - just one thing to add:
            If you are using version 5.x (ie. post-4.9x) of Notetab your Notetab
            files may *also* be stored in:
            C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\NoteTab Pro
            or in your case:
            C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\NoteTab Std

            (You said that you were using WinXP, correct? if you were using Vista
            the location would be slightly different)

            Note: that you may not be able to browse to that location in Windows
            Explorer if you've never made hidden files visible. To do that, if
            necessary go to Explorer-Tools-Folder Options-View and in the advanced
            settings set "Show hidden files and folders" and (if set - unset Hide
            extensions for known file types).

            With that done, copy all the files from the \...\Application
            Data\Notetab Std\ folder on your old computer to the equivalent location
            on your new computer.

            If you have the same folder setup on your old and new computers then you
            should be able to copy (in Explorer) all your files from the old
            computer to the new one and *magically* all your Favorites should work
            again on the new computer.

            Hope this helps rather confuses! :-)

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 26, 2008
              Oh you are all just winners. Thanks so much. Now of course I don't
              have time to suss all this out but I do know how to do all that and
              shall as soon as I can. I'm dismayed but I had guessed that the
              Favorites were references (too late I've guessed!) too bad as I have
              1600 files to sort out and put in My Docs. somewhere, they were all
              saved in the Notetabs folder on Desktop which is easy to copy though
              to back up.
              Re Al Guevara's good suggestion, I did install Note tab on the
              laptop--- I wonder if it is Note Tab Light though as I used that for a
              brief time first. Then I did copy the entire paid program to the
              laptop from PC but perhaps I put that in a different path. Alex gave
              good help there. I'll report if I can remember, gads, I am on the
              computer so much that I spend my life learning, tidying up, deleting,
              downloading, updating. I'll check on the business of having it on two
              computers too. I do thank you ALL!
              You've got my name right, I used the screen name Britta for a
              while there and can't remember now why.
              ~~Linnea

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

              > Hi Linnea,
              >
              > > I have been saving all my files in Notetabs and also
              saving them in the various categories of folders I've made in
              Favorites: Books,
              > >Politics, etc.>
              > Adding a document to Favorites doesn't save it. Favorites are
              just references to files somewhere on your HD, just as when you
              bookmark a webpage in your browser, the actual page isn't saved, just
              a shortcut to it.

              > If you go to Favorites (Shift + F2) and select a document in the
              > list, you can see the path to that document in the little window at
              > the bottom. You can also read the master files for your favorites
              > directly. They are in a folder named "Favorites" inside Notetab's
              > program folder and they have the extension .fvr. They are just plain
              > text files, lso you can go ahead and open them in Notetab. Each one
              > contains a list of paths to the documents you've added to that
              favorites group.

              > I could be wrong, but my guess is you need to collect those files
              > from where they are on your PC and copy them to your laptop and then
              create new FVR files for them. That's easily done since you can
              > create the .frv files manually.
              >
              > Hope I guessed somewhat right. :-)
              > Lotta

            • S or J
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 27, 2008
                Hi Linnea, and the good folks here.

                Since getting my first computer in 1986, I have gone through a lot of
                machines and now have many thousands of data and picture and web files
                to keep track of.

                Very early on I learned that the default locations where multi
                programs wanted to keep their data files was erratic and sometimes
                illogical. The crunch came when trying to back up files to an external
                medium or drive, or transferring all my files to a new computer. It
                was tedious to find all the files in their various hidy-holes, and
                there was always a nagging doubt that I had missed some.

                So I created my own data master and sub directories, where I had full
                freedom to break files into subject sub-directories,
                sub-sub-directories, etc. Files could be separated and collated and
                arranged however I found logical. Backups became easy and foolproof.
                And it was a breeze to locate a particular file needed again, even if
                20 years old.

                After designing a master data file directory structure, it is easy to
                tell each program the new default location where to put its files.
                (Yes you probably have to read the programs' manuals or help files, at
                least just this once ;-)

                It takes a bit of time initially planning the directory organization
                to suit your particular needs, but really saves time and frustration
                over the years. And you can amend/reorganize it as your needs and
                programs change.

                regards

                Steve in Thunder Bay, Ontario
              • Linnea
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 29, 2008
                  Thank you very much, Steve in Thunder Bay. I think I must have, at
                  first, just saved things in Notetabs and made a lot of Folders in
                  Favorites but now that I have too many files.

                  I have hundreds of folders & sub-folders in My Documents and thought
                  about what you wrote: I think I'll create new sub-folders in each one
                  that would be relevant, e.g. in Books, a Books Notetabs for a
                  sub-folder, ditto for Medical, etc. I think it would be simpler to
                  head right for the Notetabs group as I can remember what I've got in
                  this assortment pretty well. I've definitely used it to the exclusion
                  of any other writing program for a year now.

                  I am probably not up to creating a special directory just now but
                  shall ponder on that.
                  I do thank you for the mental jog you gave me!
                  ~~ Linnea

                  1a. Re: Confused about saving files
                  Posted by: "S or J" jstudio@... stevetbon1
                  Date: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:35 am ((PDT))

                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "S or J" <jstudio@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Linnea, and the good folks here.
                  >
                  > Since getting my first computer in 1986, I have gone through a lot
                  of machines and now have many thousands of data and picture and web
                  files to keep track of.

                  > Very early on I learned that the default locations where multi
                  > programs wanted to keep their data files was erratic and sometimes
                  > illogical. The crunch came when trying to back up files to an external
                  > medium or drive, or transferring all my files to a new computer. It
                  > was tedious to find all the files in their various hidy-holes, and
                  > there was always a nagging doubt that I had missed some.
                  > So I created my own data master and sub directories, where I had full
                  > freedom to break files into subject sub-directories,
                  > sub-sub-directories, etc. Files could be separated and collated and
                  > arranged however I found logical. Backups became easy and foolproof.
                  And it was a breeze to locate a particular file needed again, even if
                  20 years old.

                  > After designing a master data file directory structure, it is easy
                  to tell each program the new default location where to put its files.
                  > (Yes you probably have to read the programs' manuals or help files,
                  at least just this once ;-) SNIPPED Steve in Thunder Bay, Ontario

                • Linnea
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 29, 2008
                    LICENSING ISSUE: Your brought up a good point. I am usually very
                    careful to abide by Licenses and thought I was here, too. I looked at
                    the Fookes License again and yes, I can use it on one other computer,
                    if I am the sole user and using one at a time. I think I installed the
                    Note Tab Light on both at first and then installed it there, too after
                    I bought it (Standard). Perhaps I did just copy the Standard over to
                    the laptop via memory stick. I'll check on that...have just been
                    unable to catch up.
                    Thanks for the advice and I'll do that if I don't have it installed there.
                    ~~ Linnea
                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Al Guevara" <al@...> wrote:

                    > You should INSTALLL (not copy) the program on the laptop.
                    > THEN copy over your personal files and settings files, etc.
                    >
                    > Of course you'd have to pay for another copy of Std, but I may be
                    wrong on this licensing issue.

                    > AL
                  • Al Guevara
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 29, 2008
                      Why use LITE if you paid for Standard?
                      At $10 and $20 this software is steal.
                      Al

                      From: Linnea <ronlin2@...>
                      To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
                      Subject: Re: [NTB] Confused about saving files

                      >LICENSING ISSUE: Your brought up a good point. I am usually very
                      >careful to abide by Licenses and thought I was here, too. I looked at
                      >the Fookes License again and yes, I can use it on one other computer,
                      >if I am the sole user and using one at a time. I think I installed the
                      >Note Tab Light on both at first and then installed it there, too after
                      >I bought it (Standard). Perhaps I did just copy the Standard over to
                      >the laptop via memory stick. I'll check on that...have just been
                      >unable to catch up.
                      >Thanks for the advice and I'll do that if I don't have it installed there.
                      >~~ Linnea
                      >--- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Al Guevara" <al@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> You should INSTALLL (not copy) the program on the laptop.
                      >> THEN copy over your personal files and settings files, etc.
                      >>
                      >> Of course you'd have to pay for another copy of Std, but I may be
                      >wrong on this licensing issue.
                      >>
                      >> AL

                    • Linnea
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 29, 2008
                        I probably didn't make it clear, I installed Lite first and then
                        installed Standard when I bought it (it didn't take me long to decide
                        to buy it). I may have kept Lite on the laptop until I put a copy of
                        the Installed version over on it but that doesn't work well, I'll just

                        Rather, I'll install the Standard from the website.