Re: [NTB] Question on column

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2008
      That is so friggin' cool! Now if I can just remember when the need arises . . .

      --- On Mon, 10/6/08, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

      > Do you mean you have something like the below and want to
      > copy just
      > the aaaaa column?
      >
      > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
      > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
      > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
      > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
      > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
      >
      > Put the cursor in front of the first a on the first line.
      > Hold down
      > the left mouse button and drag downwards. Notetab will
      > select the
      > whole lines, but never mind that. When you reach the last
      > line you
      > drag the cursor to the right, still holding the mouse
      > button down,
      > until you have it just behind the last a . The selection
      > should now
      > cover only the aaaaa bit of the last line but the whole
      > lines above.
      >
      > When you use the block operations Notetab just uses the
      > start and end
      > coordinates, so that more than you want is selected
      > doesn't matter.
      > If you do a Modify | Block | Copy now, you should get the
      > below on
      > the clipboard.
      >
      > aaaaa
      > aaaaa
      > aaaaa
      > aaaaa
      > aaaaa
      >
      > Makes sense?
      >
      > Lotta

    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
        sisterscape wrote:
        > That is so friggin' cool! Now if I can just remember when the need arises . . .
        >

        > --- On Mon, 10/6/08, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
        >> Do you mean you have something like the below and want to
        >> copy just
        >> the aaaaa column?
        >>
        >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
        >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
        >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
        >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
        >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
        >>
        >> Put the cursor in front of the first a on the first line.
        >> Hold down

        Always an aha moment. It is a display problem, not a functionality
        problem. I remember pretty well, although occaisionally I have to add a
        long line just after the end to get it done because if that line is
        short I cannot get to the right column.

        For example below because the last a column is short two characters, I
        cannot copy the a's, so I have to add another line below it or add
        spaces to pad it to get my desired outcome.

        >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
        >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
        >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
        >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
        >> aaa
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
          Don - HtmlFixIt.com (don@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-10-07
          at 07:10):
          > sisterscape wrote:
          > > That is so friggin' cool! Now if I can just remember when the need
          > arises . . .

          I put the four "block" buttons (copy/cut/delete/paste) on the toolbar
          next to regular copy and paste as a reminder that the block functions
          exist. I don't need them often but when I do it saves having to go to
          something like PsPad where the block support is better visualized.

          > > --- On Mon, 10/6/08, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
          > >> Do you mean you have something like the below and want to
          > >> copy just
          > >> the aaaaa column?
          > >>
          > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
          > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
          > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
          > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
          > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

        • loro
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
            sisterscape wrote:
            >That is so friggin' cool! Now if I can just remember when the need
            >arises . . .

            It's in Help. Just read that from beginning to end each week and
            you're all set! ;-)

            Jokes aside, I think I maybe made it sound like you have to make the
            selection exactly like that, from top let to bottom right. That's not
            so. You can do it the other way around if you prefer. As long as you
            create an invisible diagonal Notetab can use it'll work. For
            example, if you want the leftmost column as in this case, it may be
            easier to start at the bottom-right.because you can then go all the
            way to the top-left without having to be so careful.

            Lotta
          • LB
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
              It's so easy !!!!!!

              This will save me tons of time.
              Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

              Re: Question on column

              Posted by: "loro"
              loro-spam01-@...

              yastupidhoo

              Mon Oct 6, 2008 6:23 pm (PDT)

            • loro
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
                LB wrote:
                >It's so easy !!!!!!
                >
                >This will save me tons of time.
                >Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

                Told you it was easy! Don't forget about the option to manually enter
                the coordinates. That IS easier with long and narrow columns in the
                middle of text.

                You are welcome. :-)
                Lotta
              • Don Daugherty
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 4, 2008
                  LB wrote:
                  > Oh, just thought of another question!!
                  > If get a lot of files in the tabs, is there any way to quickly get over to a file at
                  > the first tab? Then back to the last tab?
                  >
                  > I get back to the last tab by clicking New, then close the new file, but haven't found
                  > any way to get to the beginning tab.
                  I didn't see any replies to your "another question" so I'll suggest this:

                  When you have multiple file-tabs you can go forward to the next file-tab
                  by pressing Ctrl+Tab
                  or backward to the previous file-tab by pressing Shift+Ctrl+Tab.
                  AND, this process wraps-around.
                  Hence, when you are on the first-file-tab, Shift+Ctrl+Tab takes you
                  directly "backward" to the last-file-tab, and
                  when you are on the last-file-tab, Ctrl+Tab takes you directly "forward"
                  to the first-file-tab.

                  See if this does what you wanted.