Re: [NTB] Question on column

  • loro
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2008
      LB wrote:
      >Sorry to be so slow, but still can't do it.
      >When I select, I get the whole line, not just a column.

      Slow? You've only been at it a day. This takes at least a week. ;-)

      >For example,I would like to select a column just first 5
      >characters of, say, a 10 line paragraph. that is, the first
      >5 characters of all 10 lines. That's what i meant by a column.

      Do you mean you have something like the below and want to copy just
      the aaaaa column?

      aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
      aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
      aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
      aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
      aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

      Put the cursor in front of the first a on the first line. Hold down
      the left mouse button and drag downwards. Notetab will select the
      whole lines, but never mind that. When you reach the last line you
      drag the cursor to the right, still holding the mouse button down,
      until you have it just behind the last a . The selection should now
      cover only the aaaaa bit of the last line but the whole lines above.

      When you use the block operations Notetab just uses the start and end
      coordinates, so that more than you want is selected doesn't matter.
      If you do a Modify | Block | Copy now, you should get the below on
      the clipboard.

      aaaaa
      aaaaa
      aaaaa
      aaaaa
      aaaaa

      Makes sense?

      Lotta
    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 6, 2008
        That is so friggin' cool! Now if I can just remember when the need arises . . .

        --- On Mon, 10/6/08, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

        > Do you mean you have something like the below and want to
        > copy just
        > the aaaaa column?
        >
        > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
        > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
        > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
        > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
        > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
        >
        > Put the cursor in front of the first a on the first line.
        > Hold down
        > the left mouse button and drag downwards. Notetab will
        > select the
        > whole lines, but never mind that. When you reach the last
        > line you
        > drag the cursor to the right, still holding the mouse
        > button down,
        > until you have it just behind the last a . The selection
        > should now
        > cover only the aaaaa bit of the last line but the whole
        > lines above.
        >
        > When you use the block operations Notetab just uses the
        > start and end
        > coordinates, so that more than you want is selected
        > doesn't matter.
        > If you do a Modify | Block | Copy now, you should get the
        > below on
        > the clipboard.
        >
        > aaaaa
        > aaaaa
        > aaaaa
        > aaaaa
        > aaaaa
        >
        > Makes sense?
        >
        > Lotta

      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
          sisterscape wrote:
          > That is so friggin' cool! Now if I can just remember when the need arises . . .
          >

          > --- On Mon, 10/6/08, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
          >> Do you mean you have something like the below and want to
          >> copy just
          >> the aaaaa column?
          >>
          >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
          >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
          >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
          >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
          >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
          >>
          >> Put the cursor in front of the first a on the first line.
          >> Hold down

          Always an aha moment. It is a display problem, not a functionality
          problem. I remember pretty well, although occaisionally I have to add a
          long line just after the end to get it done because if that line is
          short I cannot get to the right column.

          For example below because the last a column is short two characters, I
          cannot copy the a's, so I have to add another line below it or add
          spaces to pad it to get my desired outcome.

          >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
          >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
          >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
          >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
          >> aaa
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
            Don - HtmlFixIt.com (don@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-10-07
            at 07:10):
            > sisterscape wrote:
            > > That is so friggin' cool! Now if I can just remember when the need
            > arises . . .

            I put the four "block" buttons (copy/cut/delete/paste) on the toolbar
            next to regular copy and paste as a reminder that the block functions
            exist. I don't need them often but when I do it saves having to go to
            something like PsPad where the block support is better visualized.

            > > --- On Mon, 10/6/08, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
            > >> Do you mean you have something like the below and want to
            > >> copy just
            > >> the aaaaa column?
            > >>
            > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
            > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
            > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
            > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
            > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

          • loro
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
              sisterscape wrote:
              >That is so friggin' cool! Now if I can just remember when the need
              >arises . . .

              It's in Help. Just read that from beginning to end each week and
              you're all set! ;-)

              Jokes aside, I think I maybe made it sound like you have to make the
              selection exactly like that, from top let to bottom right. That's not
              so. You can do it the other way around if you prefer. As long as you
              create an invisible diagonal Notetab can use it'll work. For
              example, if you want the leftmost column as in this case, it may be
              easier to start at the bottom-right.because you can then go all the
              way to the top-left without having to be so careful.

              Lotta
            • LB
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
                It's so easy !!!!!!

                This will save me tons of time.
                Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

                Re: Question on column

                Posted by: "loro"
                loro-spam01-@...

                yastupidhoo

                Mon Oct 6, 2008 6:23 pm (PDT)

              • loro
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
                  LB wrote:
                  >It's so easy !!!!!!
                  >
                  >This will save me tons of time.
                  >Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

                  Told you it was easy! Don't forget about the option to manually enter
                  the coordinates. That IS easier with long and narrow columns in the
                  middle of text.

                  You are welcome. :-)
                  Lotta
                • Don Daugherty
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 4, 2008
                    LB wrote:
                    > Oh, just thought of another question!!
                    > If get a lot of files in the tabs, is there any way to quickly get over to a file at
                    > the first tab? Then back to the last tab?
                    >
                    > I get back to the last tab by clicking New, then close the new file, but haven't found
                    > any way to get to the beginning tab.
                    I didn't see any replies to your "another question" so I'll suggest this:

                    When you have multiple file-tabs you can go forward to the next file-tab
                    by pressing Ctrl+Tab
                    or backward to the previous file-tab by pressing Shift+Ctrl+Tab.
                    AND, this process wraps-around.
                    Hence, when you are on the first-file-tab, Shift+Ctrl+Tab takes you
                    directly "backward" to the last-file-tab, and
                    when you are on the last-file-tab, Ctrl+Tab takes you directly "forward"
                    to the first-file-tab.

                    See if this does what you wanted.