Re: [NTB] Question on column

  • loro
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
      LB wrote:
      >I have a general question. In my old ASCII editor, QEdit, I could
      >select a column.
      >That really came in handy sometimes.
      >
      >Is there any way to select a column in Notetab?
      >I have 5.7b/fv.

      Yes, there is. Look at the commands on the Modify | Block menu. You
      "select" the column basically as you are used to, only Notetab won't
      show the selection. This takes a little training to get used to.
      Also, if the last line in a column is shorter than other lines, you
      need to extend it with spaces or you won't be able to select the whole column.

      Put in another way, you click your left mouse button before the first
      character on the fist line, hold it down and drag to behind the last
      character on the last line (which if needed should be extended with
      spaces so it becomes as long as the longest line in the column).

      Once you have "selected" a column you can use the menu commands to
      copy, cut and so on.

      If you use the menu commands without having made a selection, a
      wizard will pop up and let you enter the coordinates with numbers.
      This may be easier to start with. You can find more about this in the
      Help section about Modify | Block.

      >If get a lot of files in the tabs, is there any way to quickly get
      >over to a file at
      >the first tab? Then back to the last tab?

      Ctrl + Tab gets you to the next doc and Ctrl + Shift + Tab to the
      previous one, so just keep doing that until you get where you want to
      be. If you hold the keys down all the time the tabs will move too
      fast for you to see when it's time to stop. At least I can't do that.

      You could also make two simple clips and put them on on your clip
      bar. Look up ^!Document in Clip Help. Or copy the below (between the
      lines), right-click over an open clip library and choose "Add from
      Clipboard" from the context menu. :-)

      ---------------------
      h="First doc"
      ^!Document first

      h="Last doc"
      ^!Document last

      Lotta
    • LB
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 6, 2008
        Hi loro,
        thanks for your answer.
        Sorry to be so slow, but still can't do it.
        When I select, I get the whole line, not just a column.

        For example,I would like to select a column just first 5
        characters of, say, a 10 line paragraph. that is, the first
        5 characters of all 10 lines. That's what i meant by a column.

        Thanks,
        Len

            Re: Question on column
            Posted by: "loro" loro-spam01-@...   yastupidhoo
            Sun Oct 5, 2008 3:26 pm (PDT)

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 6, 2008
          LB wrote:
          >Sorry to be so slow, but still can't do it.
          >When I select, I get the whole line, not just a column.

          Slow? You've only been at it a day. This takes at least a week. ;-)

          >For example,I would like to select a column just first 5
          >characters of, say, a 10 line paragraph. that is, the first
          >5 characters of all 10 lines. That's what i meant by a column.

          Do you mean you have something like the below and want to copy just
          the aaaaa column?

          aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
          aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
          aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
          aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
          aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

          Put the cursor in front of the first a on the first line. Hold down
          the left mouse button and drag downwards. Notetab will select the
          whole lines, but never mind that. When you reach the last line you
          drag the cursor to the right, still holding the mouse button down,
          until you have it just behind the last a . The selection should now
          cover only the aaaaa bit of the last line but the whole lines above.

          When you use the block operations Notetab just uses the start and end
          coordinates, so that more than you want is selected doesn't matter.
          If you do a Modify | Block | Copy now, you should get the below on
          the clipboard.

          aaaaa
          aaaaa
          aaaaa
          aaaaa
          aaaaa

          Makes sense?

          Lotta
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 6, 2008
            That is so friggin' cool! Now if I can just remember when the need arises . . .

            --- On Mon, 10/6/08, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

            > Do you mean you have something like the below and want to
            > copy just
            > the aaaaa column?
            >
            > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
            > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
            > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
            > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
            > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
            >
            > Put the cursor in front of the first a on the first line.
            > Hold down
            > the left mouse button and drag downwards. Notetab will
            > select the
            > whole lines, but never mind that. When you reach the last
            > line you
            > drag the cursor to the right, still holding the mouse
            > button down,
            > until you have it just behind the last a . The selection
            > should now
            > cover only the aaaaa bit of the last line but the whole
            > lines above.
            >
            > When you use the block operations Notetab just uses the
            > start and end
            > coordinates, so that more than you want is selected
            > doesn't matter.
            > If you do a Modify | Block | Copy now, you should get the
            > below on
            > the clipboard.
            >
            > aaaaa
            > aaaaa
            > aaaaa
            > aaaaa
            > aaaaa
            >
            > Makes sense?
            >
            > Lotta

          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
              sisterscape wrote:
              > That is so friggin' cool! Now if I can just remember when the need arises . . .
              >

              > --- On Mon, 10/6/08, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
              >> Do you mean you have something like the below and want to
              >> copy just
              >> the aaaaa column?
              >>
              >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
              >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
              >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
              >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
              >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
              >>
              >> Put the cursor in front of the first a on the first line.
              >> Hold down

              Always an aha moment. It is a display problem, not a functionality
              problem. I remember pretty well, although occaisionally I have to add a
              long line just after the end to get it done because if that line is
              short I cannot get to the right column.

              For example below because the last a column is short two characters, I
              cannot copy the a's, so I have to add another line below it or add
              spaces to pad it to get my desired outcome.

              >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
              >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
              >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
              >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
              >> aaa
            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
                Don - HtmlFixIt.com (don@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-10-07
                at 07:10):
                > sisterscape wrote:
                > > That is so friggin' cool! Now if I can just remember when the need
                > arises . . .

                I put the four "block" buttons (copy/cut/delete/paste) on the toolbar
                next to regular copy and paste as a reminder that the block functions
                exist. I don't need them often but when I do it saves having to go to
                something like PsPad where the block support is better visualized.

                > > --- On Mon, 10/6/08, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
                > >> Do you mean you have something like the below and want to
                > >> copy just
                > >> the aaaaa column?
                > >>
                > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
                > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
                > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
                > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
                > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

              • loro
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
                  sisterscape wrote:
                  >That is so friggin' cool! Now if I can just remember when the need
                  >arises . . .

                  It's in Help. Just read that from beginning to end each week and
                  you're all set! ;-)

                  Jokes aside, I think I maybe made it sound like you have to make the
                  selection exactly like that, from top let to bottom right. That's not
                  so. You can do it the other way around if you prefer. As long as you
                  create an invisible diagonal Notetab can use it'll work. For
                  example, if you want the leftmost column as in this case, it may be
                  easier to start at the bottom-right.because you can then go all the
                  way to the top-left without having to be so careful.

                  Lotta
                • LB
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
                    It's so easy !!!!!!

                    This will save me tons of time.
                    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

                    Re: Question on column

                    Posted by: "loro"
                    loro-spam01-@...

                    yastupidhoo

                    Mon Oct 6, 2008 6:23 pm (PDT)

                  • loro
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
                      LB wrote:
                      >It's so easy !!!!!!
                      >
                      >This will save me tons of time.
                      >Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

                      Told you it was easy! Don't forget about the option to manually enter
                      the coordinates. That IS easier with long and narrow columns in the
                      middle of text.

                      You are welcome. :-)
                      Lotta
                    • Don Daugherty
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 4, 2008
                        LB wrote:
                        > Oh, just thought of another question!!
                        > If get a lot of files in the tabs, is there any way to quickly get over to a file at
                        > the first tab? Then back to the last tab?
                        >
                        > I get back to the last tab by clicking New, then close the new file, but haven't found
                        > any way to get to the beginning tab.
                        I didn't see any replies to your "another question" so I'll suggest this:

                        When you have multiple file-tabs you can go forward to the next file-tab
                        by pressing Ctrl+Tab
                        or backward to the previous file-tab by pressing Shift+Ctrl+Tab.
                        AND, this process wraps-around.
                        Hence, when you are on the first-file-tab, Shift+Ctrl+Tab takes you
                        directly "backward" to the last-file-tab, and
                        when you are on the last-file-tab, Ctrl+Tab takes you directly "forward"
                        to the first-file-tab.

                        See if this does what you wanted.