Re: [NTB] Question on column

  • LB
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
      Hi all,

      Robin, that describes me, also!!
      > I am a 'user' not a 'guru'.

      I have a general question. In my old ASCII editor, QEdit, I could select a column.
      That really came in handy sometimes.

      Is there any way to select a column in Notetab?
      I have 5.7b/fv.

      Oh, just thought of another question!!
      If get a lot of files in the tabs, is there any way to quickly get over to a file at
      the first tab?  Then back to the last tab?

      I get back to the last tab by clicking New, then close the new file, but haven't found
      any way to get to the beginning tab.

      Thanks,
      Len

    • loro
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
        LB wrote:
        >I have a general question. In my old ASCII editor, QEdit, I could
        >select a column.
        >That really came in handy sometimes.
        >
        >Is there any way to select a column in Notetab?
        >I have 5.7b/fv.

        Yes, there is. Look at the commands on the Modify | Block menu. You
        "select" the column basically as you are used to, only Notetab won't
        show the selection. This takes a little training to get used to.
        Also, if the last line in a column is shorter than other lines, you
        need to extend it with spaces or you won't be able to select the whole column.

        Put in another way, you click your left mouse button before the first
        character on the fist line, hold it down and drag to behind the last
        character on the last line (which if needed should be extended with
        spaces so it becomes as long as the longest line in the column).

        Once you have "selected" a column you can use the menu commands to
        copy, cut and so on.

        If you use the menu commands without having made a selection, a
        wizard will pop up and let you enter the coordinates with numbers.
        This may be easier to start with. You can find more about this in the
        Help section about Modify | Block.

        >If get a lot of files in the tabs, is there any way to quickly get
        >over to a file at
        >the first tab? Then back to the last tab?

        Ctrl + Tab gets you to the next doc and Ctrl + Shift + Tab to the
        previous one, so just keep doing that until you get where you want to
        be. If you hold the keys down all the time the tabs will move too
        fast for you to see when it's time to stop. At least I can't do that.

        You could also make two simple clips and put them on on your clip
        bar. Look up ^!Document in Clip Help. Or copy the below (between the
        lines), right-click over an open clip library and choose "Add from
        Clipboard" from the context menu. :-)

        ---------------------
        h="First doc"
        ^!Document first

        h="Last doc"
        ^!Document last

        Lotta
      • LB
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 6, 2008
          Hi loro,
          thanks for your answer.
          Sorry to be so slow, but still can't do it.
          When I select, I get the whole line, not just a column.

          For example,I would like to select a column just first 5
          characters of, say, a 10 line paragraph. that is, the first
          5 characters of all 10 lines. That's what i meant by a column.

          Thanks,
          Len

              Re: Question on column
              Posted by: "loro" loro-spam01-@...   yastupidhoo
              Sun Oct 5, 2008 3:26 pm (PDT)

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 6, 2008
            LB wrote:
            >Sorry to be so slow, but still can't do it.
            >When I select, I get the whole line, not just a column.

            Slow? You've only been at it a day. This takes at least a week. ;-)

            >For example,I would like to select a column just first 5
            >characters of, say, a 10 line paragraph. that is, the first
            >5 characters of all 10 lines. That's what i meant by a column.

            Do you mean you have something like the below and want to copy just
            the aaaaa column?

            aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
            aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
            aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
            aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
            aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

            Put the cursor in front of the first a on the first line. Hold down
            the left mouse button and drag downwards. Notetab will select the
            whole lines, but never mind that. When you reach the last line you
            drag the cursor to the right, still holding the mouse button down,
            until you have it just behind the last a . The selection should now
            cover only the aaaaa bit of the last line but the whole lines above.

            When you use the block operations Notetab just uses the start and end
            coordinates, so that more than you want is selected doesn't matter.
            If you do a Modify | Block | Copy now, you should get the below on
            the clipboard.

            aaaaa
            aaaaa
            aaaaa
            aaaaa
            aaaaa

            Makes sense?

            Lotta
          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 6, 2008
              That is so friggin' cool! Now if I can just remember when the need arises . . .

              --- On Mon, 10/6/08, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

              > Do you mean you have something like the below and want to
              > copy just
              > the aaaaa column?
              >
              > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
              > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
              > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
              > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
              > aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
              >
              > Put the cursor in front of the first a on the first line.
              > Hold down
              > the left mouse button and drag downwards. Notetab will
              > select the
              > whole lines, but never mind that. When you reach the last
              > line you
              > drag the cursor to the right, still holding the mouse
              > button down,
              > until you have it just behind the last a . The selection
              > should now
              > cover only the aaaaa bit of the last line but the whole
              > lines above.
              >
              > When you use the block operations Notetab just uses the
              > start and end
              > coordinates, so that more than you want is selected
              > doesn't matter.
              > If you do a Modify | Block | Copy now, you should get the
              > below on
              > the clipboard.
              >
              > aaaaa
              > aaaaa
              > aaaaa
              > aaaaa
              > aaaaa
              >
              > Makes sense?
              >
              > Lotta

            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
                sisterscape wrote:
                > That is so friggin' cool! Now if I can just remember when the need arises . . .
                >

                > --- On Mon, 10/6/08, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
                >> Do you mean you have something like the below and want to
                >> copy just
                >> the aaaaa column?
                >>
                >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
                >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
                >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
                >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
                >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
                >>
                >> Put the cursor in front of the first a on the first line.
                >> Hold down

                Always an aha moment. It is a display problem, not a functionality
                problem. I remember pretty well, although occaisionally I have to add a
                long line just after the end to get it done because if that line is
                short I cannot get to the right column.

                For example below because the last a column is short two characters, I
                cannot copy the a's, so I have to add another line below it or add
                spaces to pad it to get my desired outcome.

                >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
                >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
                >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
                >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
                >> aaa
              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
                  Don - HtmlFixIt.com (don@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-10-07
                  at 07:10):
                  > sisterscape wrote:
                  > > That is so friggin' cool! Now if I can just remember when the need
                  > arises . . .

                  I put the four "block" buttons (copy/cut/delete/paste) on the toolbar
                  next to regular copy and paste as a reminder that the block functions
                  exist. I don't need them often but when I do it saves having to go to
                  something like PsPad where the block support is better visualized.

                  > > --- On Mon, 10/6/08, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
                  > >> Do you mean you have something like the below and want to
                  > >> copy just
                  > >> the aaaaa column?
                  > >>
                  > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
                  > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
                  > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
                  > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
                  > >> aaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

                • loro
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
                    sisterscape wrote:
                    >That is so friggin' cool! Now if I can just remember when the need
                    >arises . . .

                    It's in Help. Just read that from beginning to end each week and
                    you're all set! ;-)

                    Jokes aside, I think I maybe made it sound like you have to make the
                    selection exactly like that, from top let to bottom right. That's not
                    so. You can do it the other way around if you prefer. As long as you
                    create an invisible diagonal Notetab can use it'll work. For
                    example, if you want the leftmost column as in this case, it may be
                    easier to start at the bottom-right.because you can then go all the
                    way to the top-left without having to be so careful.

                    Lotta
                  • LB
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
                      It's so easy !!!!!!

                      This will save me tons of time.
                      Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

                      Re: Question on column

                      Posted by: "loro"
                      loro-spam01-@...

                      yastupidhoo

                      Mon Oct 6, 2008 6:23 pm (PDT)

                    • loro
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
                        LB wrote:
                        >It's so easy !!!!!!
                        >
                        >This will save me tons of time.
                        >Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

                        Told you it was easy! Don't forget about the option to manually enter
                        the coordinates. That IS easier with long and narrow columns in the
                        middle of text.

                        You are welcome. :-)
                        Lotta
                      • Don Daugherty
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 4, 2008
                          LB wrote:
                          > Oh, just thought of another question!!
                          > If get a lot of files in the tabs, is there any way to quickly get over to a file at
                          > the first tab? Then back to the last tab?
                          >
                          > I get back to the last tab by clicking New, then close the new file, but haven't found
                          > any way to get to the beginning tab.
                          I didn't see any replies to your "another question" so I'll suggest this:

                          When you have multiple file-tabs you can go forward to the next file-tab
                          by pressing Ctrl+Tab
                          or backward to the previous file-tab by pressing Shift+Ctrl+Tab.
                          AND, this process wraps-around.
                          Hence, when you are on the first-file-tab, Shift+Ctrl+Tab takes you
                          directly "backward" to the last-file-tab, and
                          when you are on the last-file-tab, Ctrl+Tab takes you directly "forward"
                          to the first-file-tab.

                          See if this does what you wanted.