Re: [NTB] Finding a number followed by a paragraph mark

  • Robin Chapple
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2008
      At 25/09/2008 10:35 AM, Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
      >Robin Chapple wrote:
      > > I am a beginner at using these 'expressions'.
      > >
      > > I need to insert a tab after every telephone number that is followed
      > > by a paragraph mark.
      > >
      > > I propose to use the 'Replace' command.
      > >
      > > In Help I found that
      > >
      > > \d =ny decimal digit
      > >
      > > Which I hoped would find the last number in a telephone number by using"
      > >
      > > Find: \d^P
      > >
      > > but nothing is found.
      > >
      > > What should I be doing?
      > >
      > > Many thanks,
      > >
      > > Robin Chapple
      >
      >You got it but ^P becomes \r\n in regex.
      >
      >So it's this:
      >\d\r\n

      So this is my first venture with regex. I have read the help page on
      regular expressions and I am out of my depth.

      The expression \d\r\n does find the paragraph mark, but the replace
      command takes the decimal digit as well.

      How do I just replace the ^P with ^T if it follows a decimal digit?

      Many thanks,

      Robin Chapple
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 28, 2008
        The tab part of this ^T or \t depending on regular or regex that you
        mention below is a new twist Robin. You didn't mention a tab before.

        In your top dialog box put (\d)\r\n

        By adding the parenthesis you have a found pattern that is assigned to a
        variable sort of ...
        then you can replace that variable (the number) back in by putting this
        in the bottom box in the dialog:

        $1

        the $1 refers to the thing contained in the () above. If you had more
        than one thing in parenthesis in that top find pattern then you would
        have $1, $2, etc to put them back in if you want.

        I by the way assume you are on the latest copy of notetab as regex has
        improved a lot the past year or so.