Re: [NTB] Firefox opening multiple windows when previewing in browser

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2008
      imayz1 (forummessages@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-24 at
      15:04):
      > I've used NTP for years and love it but lately I have switched my
      > default browser to Firefox. Now every time I preview (F8)an HTML file
      > it opens a new browser window. If FF is set for tabs it opens a new
      > tab every time. I hate that. Each time I make a change and preview
      > it I am required to close the browser window (or tab) before making
      > more changes. If I don't, I'll have 80 browser windows open by the
      > time I get done editing the file. It doesn't do this in IE whether IE
      > is set for tabs or not.
      >
      > Does anyone know how to set this up to open my file in the same
      > browser window each time I click preview?

      Get Firefox 3 add-on TabMix Plus which will allow you to specify
      external links are to be opened in same tab (other choices are New Tab
      or New Window) or (preferable IMHO) get add-on FireGestures which will
      allow you to define a gesture executed with right-mouse button which
      will close all other tabs, all tabs to right of current or all tabs to
      left of current tab.

      I use R-L-D to close all other, R-L-D-L to close all left and R-L-D-R to
      close all left.

      With TabMix Plus you can also specify (for example) that double-click on
      a tab toggles lock-unlock so that the above gestures will leave
      specified tabs alone. I use the double-click lock to keep my Google/ig
      (user specified custom page) open while allowing others to be closed.

      HTH

    • imayz1
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2008
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

        > imayz1 (forummessages@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-24 at
        > 15:04):
        > > I've used NTP for years and love it but lately I have switched my
        > > default browser to Firefox. Now every time I preview (F8)an HTML file
        > > it opens a new browser window. If FF is set for tabs it opens a new
        > > tab every time. I hate that. Each time I make a change and preview
        > > it I am required to close the browser window (or tab) before making
        > > more changes. If I don't, I'll have 80 browser windows open by the
        > > time I get done editing the file. It doesn't do this in IE whether IE
        > > is set for tabs or not.
        > >
        > > Does anyone know how to set this up to open my file in the same
        > > browser window each time I click preview?
        >
        > Get Firefox 3 add-on TabMix Plus which will allow you to specify
        > external links are to be opened in same tab (other choices are New Tab
        > or New Window) or (preferable IMHO) get add-on FireGestures which will
        > allow you to define a gesture executed with right-mouse button which
        > will close all other tabs, all tabs to right of current or all tabs to
        > left of current tab.
        >
        > I use R-L-D to close all other, R-L-D-L to close all left and
        R-L-D-R to
        > close all left.
        >
        > With TabMix Plus you can also specify (for example) that
        double-click on
        > a tab toggles lock-unlock so that the above gestures will leave
        > specified tabs alone. I use the double-click lock to keep my Google/ig
        > (user specified custom page) open while allowing others to be closed.
        >
        > HTH
        >
        > --

        Thanks for the plug-in tips Alec. Plugins are great.

        Also, I found a simple way for those who don't want plug-ins. Simply
        type about:config in the address window and press enter. Click the
        confirm button. Then go to
        the line labeled 'browser.link.open_external". Change it to "1" and
        restart the browser. Now Notetab opens in the same window each time
        preview is hit.
      • loro
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 29, 2008
          imayz1 wrote:
          >Also, I found a simple way for those who don't want plug-ins. Simply
          >type about:config in the address window and press enter. Click the
          >confirm button. Then go to
          >the line labeled 'browser.link.open_external". Change it to "1" and
          >restart the browser. Now Notetab opens in the same window each time
          >preview is hit.

          Thank you, thank you, thank you! I gave up on that years ago. At last
          I can make K-Mel my default browser (I hate that window spawning when
          I click a link en an email or whatever).

          Now that I know what it's called, I found it has been working since
          FF 1.0. And no one knew...
          <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.link.open_external#Has_an_effect_in>

          Lotta