Finding a number followed by a paragraph mark

  • Robin Chapple
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 24, 2008
      I am a beginner at using these 'expressions'.

      I need to insert a tab after every telephone number that is followed
      by a paragraph mark.

      I propose to use the 'Replace' command.

      In Help I found that

      \d =ny decimal digit

      Which I hoped would find the last number in a telephone number by using"

      Find: \d^P

      but nothing is found.

      What should I be doing?

      Many thanks,

      Robin Chapple
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 24, 2008
        Robin Chapple wrote:
        > I am a beginner at using these 'expressions'.
        >
        > I need to insert a tab after every telephone number that is followed
        > by a paragraph mark.
        >
        > I propose to use the 'Replace' command.
        >
        > In Help I found that
        >
        > \d =ny decimal digit
        >
        > Which I hoped would find the last number in a telephone number by using"
        >
        > Find: \d^P
        >
        > but nothing is found.
        >
        > What should I be doing?
        >
        > Many thanks,
        >
        > Robin Chapple

        You got it but ^P becomes \r\n in regex.

        So it's this:
        \d\r\n
      • Robin Chapple
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27, 2008
          At 25/09/2008 10:35 AM, Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
          >Robin Chapple wrote:
          > > I am a beginner at using these 'expressions'.
          > >
          > > I need to insert a tab after every telephone number that is followed
          > > by a paragraph mark.
          > >
          > > I propose to use the 'Replace' command.
          > >
          > > In Help I found that
          > >
          > > \d =ny decimal digit
          > >
          > > Which I hoped would find the last number in a telephone number by using"
          > >
          > > Find: \d^P
          > >
          > > but nothing is found.
          > >
          > > What should I be doing?
          > >
          > > Many thanks,
          > >
          > > Robin Chapple
          >
          >You got it but ^P becomes \r\n in regex.
          >
          >So it's this:
          >\d\r\n

          So this is my first venture with regex. I have read the help page on
          regular expressions and I am out of my depth.

          The expression \d\r\n does find the paragraph mark, but the replace
          command takes the decimal digit as well.

          How do I just replace the ^P with ^T if it follows a decimal digit?

          Many thanks,

          Robin Chapple
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 28, 2008
            The tab part of this ^T or \t depending on regular or regex that you
            mention below is a new twist Robin. You didn't mention a tab before.

            In your top dialog box put (\d)\r\n

            By adding the parenthesis you have a found pattern that is assigned to a
            variable sort of ...
            then you can replace that variable (the number) back in by putting this
            in the bottom box in the dialog:

            $1

            the $1 refers to the thing contained in the () above. If you had more
            than one thing in parenthesis in that top find pattern then you would
            have $1, $2, etc to put them back in if you want.

            I by the way assume you are on the latest copy of notetab as regex has
            improved a lot the past year or so.