Firefox opening multiple windows when previewing in browser

  • imayz1
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 24, 2008
      I've used NTP for years and love it but lately I have switched my
      default browser to Firefox. Now every time I preview (F8)an HTML file
      it opens a new browser window. If FF is set for tabs it opens a new
      tab every time. I hate that. Each time I make a change and preview
      it I am required to close the browser window (or tab) before making
      more changes. If I don't, I'll have 80 browser windows open by the
      time I get done editing the file. It doesn't do this in IE whether IE
      is set for tabs or not.

      Does anyone know how to set this up to open my file in the same
      browser window each time I click preview?
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 25, 2008
        imayz1 (forummessages@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-24 at
        15:04):
        > I've used NTP for years and love it but lately I have switched my
        > default browser to Firefox. Now every time I preview (F8)an HTML file
        > it opens a new browser window. If FF is set for tabs it opens a new
        > tab every time. I hate that. Each time I make a change and preview
        > it I am required to close the browser window (or tab) before making
        > more changes. If I don't, I'll have 80 browser windows open by the
        > time I get done editing the file. It doesn't do this in IE whether IE
        > is set for tabs or not.
        >
        > Does anyone know how to set this up to open my file in the same
        > browser window each time I click preview?

        Get Firefox 3 add-on TabMix Plus which will allow you to specify
        external links are to be opened in same tab (other choices are New Tab
        or New Window) or (preferable IMHO) get add-on FireGestures which will
        allow you to define a gesture executed with right-mouse button which
        will close all other tabs, all tabs to right of current or all tabs to
        left of current tab.

        I use R-L-D to close all other, R-L-D-L to close all left and R-L-D-R to
        close all left.

        With TabMix Plus you can also specify (for example) that double-click on
        a tab toggles lock-unlock so that the above gestures will leave
        specified tabs alone. I use the double-click lock to keep my Google/ig
        (user specified custom page) open while allowing others to be closed.

        HTH

      • imayz1
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 29, 2008
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

          > imayz1 (forummessages@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-24 at
          > 15:04):
          > > I've used NTP for years and love it but lately I have switched my
          > > default browser to Firefox. Now every time I preview (F8)an HTML file
          > > it opens a new browser window. If FF is set for tabs it opens a new
          > > tab every time. I hate that. Each time I make a change and preview
          > > it I am required to close the browser window (or tab) before making
          > > more changes. If I don't, I'll have 80 browser windows open by the
          > > time I get done editing the file. It doesn't do this in IE whether IE
          > > is set for tabs or not.
          > >
          > > Does anyone know how to set this up to open my file in the same
          > > browser window each time I click preview?
          >
          > Get Firefox 3 add-on TabMix Plus which will allow you to specify
          > external links are to be opened in same tab (other choices are New Tab
          > or New Window) or (preferable IMHO) get add-on FireGestures which will
          > allow you to define a gesture executed with right-mouse button which
          > will close all other tabs, all tabs to right of current or all tabs to
          > left of current tab.
          >
          > I use R-L-D to close all other, R-L-D-L to close all left and
          R-L-D-R to
          > close all left.
          >
          > With TabMix Plus you can also specify (for example) that
          double-click on
          > a tab toggles lock-unlock so that the above gestures will leave
          > specified tabs alone. I use the double-click lock to keep my Google/ig
          > (user specified custom page) open while allowing others to be closed.
          >
          > HTH
          >
          > --

          Thanks for the plug-in tips Alec. Plugins are great.

          Also, I found a simple way for those who don't want plug-ins. Simply
          type about:config in the address window and press enter. Click the
          confirm button. Then go to
          the line labeled 'browser.link.open_external". Change it to "1" and
          restart the browser. Now Notetab opens in the same window each time
          preview is hit.
        • loro
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 29, 2008
            imayz1 wrote:
            >Also, I found a simple way for those who don't want plug-ins. Simply
            >type about:config in the address window and press enter. Click the
            >confirm button. Then go to
            >the line labeled 'browser.link.open_external". Change it to "1" and
            >restart the browser. Now Notetab opens in the same window each time
            >preview is hit.

            Thank you, thank you, thank you! I gave up on that years ago. At last
            I can make K-Mel my default browser (I hate that window spawning when
            I click a link en an email or whatever).

            Now that I know what it's called, I found it has been working since
            FF 1.0. And no one knew...
            <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.link.open_external#Has_an_effect_in>

            Lotta