Re: [NTB] Re: How to save a Unicode file with Note Tab

  • Han Dinh
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 21, 2008
      Hi Marcelo

      I do NOT have problem with the old Window Me computer, only have problem with the newer computer with Window XP.

      Han

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 22, 2008
        do you have the same set of fonts that your ME machine had ?
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        I do NOT have problem with the old Window Me computer, only have problem
        with the newer computer with Window XP.

        Han

        Interviewed by CNN on 21/9/2008 16:35, Han Dinh told the world:

        > I was always able to open the Unicode file and display it with the
        > browser, so everything is good until that point. It is when I edit and
        > save it, some of the characrers become question marks (as you explained
        > that that may be due to lack of certain characters). As I said ealier,
        > this only happens on my XP computer. I have no problem of doing the same
        > thing with the old Window Me computer..

        This might have something to do with the fact that Windows Me, being a
        derivative from the Windows 95/98 code, does *not* have full support for
        Unicode.

        Marcelo
        -=-=-
        Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
        * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.11

      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 22, 2008
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Han Dinh <dinh.han@...> wrote:

          > Hi Marcelo
          >
          > I do NOT have problem with the old Window Me computer, only have
          problem with the newer computer with Window XP.

          > Han

          I use XP. I tried this experiment. In my browser, I saved the web page
          at <http://www.unicode.org/standard/translations/s-chinese.html> to a
          file. Then I opened that file in NoteTab Pro 5.7b/fv. Viewing in
          NoteTab, there were lots of question marks. I used the NoteTab Tools
          menu option to View in Browser and the Chinese characters were intact.
          Then I used File/Save As and saved to new html file name. When I again
          did a View in Browser, the Chinese characters were replaced with
          question marks.

          I also tried this: I reopened the original file. Viewed in browser
          (fine). Typed one character in the file (in NoteTab). Viewed in
          browser (mostly question marks).

          Since NoteTab only supports editing ANSI text files, not binary or
          Unicode files, I don't see how it could be better in ME. But I don't
          have that environment to check.

          Regards,
          Sheri
        • Han Dinh
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 22, 2008
            Hi Sheri

            Yes, you described the problem EXACTLY as it happenned to me.  In my case, however, the characters are Vietnamse.

            I have an old computer with Window Me in my basement.   I typically have the file converted to Unicode on my new computer with XP, then bring that file and edit /save on my old computer . That is the only way that I found working so far.

            The reason I brought this up is I am tired of running between the 2 computers to edit/save the Unicode files.  And I am worried that my old computer with Me may crash and die any time soon and then I will loose that capability of editing and saving the Unicode files.

            Thank you

            Han

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 22, 2008
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Han Dinh <dinh.han@...> wrote:

              > Hi Sheri
              >
              > Yes, you described the problem EXACTLY as it happenned to me.  In my
              case, however, the characters are Vietnamse.

              > I have an old computer with Window Me in my basement.   I typically
              have the file converted to Unicode on my new computer with XP, then
              bring that file and edit /save on my old computer . That is the only
              way that I found working so far.

              > The reason I brought this up is I am tired of running between the 2
              computers to edit/save the Unicode files.  And I am worried that my
              old computer with Me may crash and die any time soon and then I will
              loose that capability of editing and saving the Unicode files.

              > Thank you
              >
              > Han

              Very odd. Is it the same version of NoteTab running on both computers?

              I use PSPad to supplement NoteTab, you might want to try it. PSPad
              doesn't convert my test file to ANSI when saving. I can see the HTML
              but not the Chinese characters while it is showing in the PSPad editor
              window. But all displays properly in the browser window before and
              after saving in PSPad.

              Regards,
              Sheri
            • Han Dinh
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 24, 2008
                Hi Sheri

                Yes, I agree it is very odd. I thought the 2 computers may have different version of NoteTab as you suggested but that was not the case.
                Anyhow, I downloaded PSPad and found no problem with editing and saving the Unicode files as you said. Thank you very much.

                Han