Re: [NTB] Re: How to save a Unicode file with Note Tab

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 21, 2008
      Interviewed by CNN on 21/9/2008 16:35, Han Dinh told the world:

      > I was always able to open the Unicode file and display it with the browser, so everything is good until that point. It is when I edit and save it, some of the characrers become question marks (as you explained that that may be due to lack of certain characters). As I said ealier, this only happens on my XP computer. I have no problem of doing the same thing with the old Window Me computer..

      This might have something to do with the fact that Windows Me, being a
      derivative from the Windows 95/98 code, does *not* have full support for
      Unicode.

      Marcelo
      -=-=-
      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
      * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.11
    • Han Dinh
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 21, 2008
        Lotta

        Yes, with the very same file.
        Thanks

        Han

        > I have no problem of doing the same thing with the old Window Me computer...

        With the same file?

        Lotta

      • Han Dinh
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 21, 2008
          Hi Marcelo

          I do NOT have problem with the old Window Me computer, only have problem with the newer computer with Window XP.

          Han

          Interviewed by CNN on 21/9/2008 16:35, Han Dinh told the world:

          > I was always able to open the Unicode file and display it with the browser, so everything is good until that point. It is when I edit and save it, some of the characrers become question marks (as you explained that that may be due to lack of certain characters). As I said ealier, this only happens on my XP computer. I have no problem of doing the same thing with the old Window Me computer..

          This might have something to do with the fact that Windows Me, being a
          derivative from the Windows 95/98 code, does *not* have full support for
          Unicode.

          Marcelo
          -=-=-
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
          * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.11

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 22, 2008
            do you have the same set of fonts that your ME machine had ?
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            I do NOT have problem with the old Window Me computer, only have problem
            with the newer computer with Window XP.

            Han

            Interviewed by CNN on 21/9/2008 16:35, Han Dinh told the world:

            > I was always able to open the Unicode file and display it with the
            > browser, so everything is good until that point. It is when I edit and
            > save it, some of the characrers become question marks (as you explained
            > that that may be due to lack of certain characters). As I said ealier,
            > this only happens on my XP computer. I have no problem of doing the same
            > thing with the old Window Me computer..

            This might have something to do with the fact that Windows Me, being a
            derivative from the Windows 95/98 code, does *not* have full support for
            Unicode.

            Marcelo
            -=-=-
            Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
            * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.11

          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 22, 2008
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Han Dinh <dinh.han@...> wrote:

              > Hi Marcelo
              >
              > I do NOT have problem with the old Window Me computer, only have
              problem with the newer computer with Window XP.

              > Han

              I use XP. I tried this experiment. In my browser, I saved the web page
              at <http://www.unicode.org/standard/translations/s-chinese.html> to a
              file. Then I opened that file in NoteTab Pro 5.7b/fv. Viewing in
              NoteTab, there were lots of question marks. I used the NoteTab Tools
              menu option to View in Browser and the Chinese characters were intact.
              Then I used File/Save As and saved to new html file name. When I again
              did a View in Browser, the Chinese characters were replaced with
              question marks.

              I also tried this: I reopened the original file. Viewed in browser
              (fine). Typed one character in the file (in NoteTab). Viewed in
              browser (mostly question marks).

              Since NoteTab only supports editing ANSI text files, not binary or
              Unicode files, I don't see how it could be better in ME. But I don't
              have that environment to check.

              Regards,
              Sheri
            • Han Dinh
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 22, 2008
                Hi Sheri

                Yes, you described the problem EXACTLY as it happenned to me.  In my case, however, the characters are Vietnamse.

                I have an old computer with Window Me in my basement.   I typically have the file converted to Unicode on my new computer with XP, then bring that file and edit /save on my old computer . That is the only way that I found working so far.

                The reason I brought this up is I am tired of running between the 2 computers to edit/save the Unicode files.  And I am worried that my old computer with Me may crash and die any time soon and then I will loose that capability of editing and saving the Unicode files.

                Thank you

                Han

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 22, 2008
                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Han Dinh <dinh.han@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Sheri
                  >
                  > Yes, you described the problem EXACTLY as it happenned to me.  In my
                  case, however, the characters are Vietnamse.

                  > I have an old computer with Window Me in my basement.   I typically
                  have the file converted to Unicode on my new computer with XP, then
                  bring that file and edit /save on my old computer . That is the only
                  way that I found working so far.

                  > The reason I brought this up is I am tired of running between the 2
                  computers to edit/save the Unicode files.  And I am worried that my
                  old computer with Me may crash and die any time soon and then I will
                  loose that capability of editing and saving the Unicode files.

                  > Thank you
                  >
                  > Han

                  Very odd. Is it the same version of NoteTab running on both computers?

                  I use PSPad to supplement NoteTab, you might want to try it. PSPad
                  doesn't convert my test file to ANSI when saving. I can see the HTML
                  but not the Chinese characters while it is showing in the PSPad editor
                  window. But all displays properly in the browser window before and
                  after saving in PSPad.

                  Regards,
                  Sheri
                • Han Dinh
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 24, 2008
                    Hi Sheri

                    Yes, I agree it is very odd. I thought the 2 computers may have different version of NoteTab as you suggested but that was not the case.
                    Anyhow, I downloaded PSPad and found no problem with editing and saving the Unicode files as you said. Thank you very much.

                    Han