Re: How to save a Unicode file with Note Tab

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 21, 2008
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "dinh.han" <dinh.han@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > I have not been able to save any Unicode file with Note Tab on my
      > new computer (Window XP). If I try to save it, the characters go
      > crazy. With the old computer (Window Me) and old Note Tab
      > version, I had no problem. Is there a conflict between Note Tab
      > /Window XP and Unicode file ? Thank you for your help. Han

      FWIW, if you search the help file you will find some info about
      Unicode files and NoteTab, including this:

      > When NoteTab opens Unicode files, it has to convert them to the
      > ANSI character set, which supports much fewer characters. As a
      > result, the conversion process may drop non-ANSI characters
      > resulting in loss of information. When the "Protect Unicode
      > Files" setting is checked (General tab in Options dialog box),
      > Unicode files are opened in Read-Only mode, which protects the
      > document from changes. If you know that your Unicode documents
      > will not loose important information during the conversion
      > process, uncheck this option so that such files are always
      > editable. You can also make a document editable by unchecking the
      > Read-Only option under the Document menu.
      >
      > Although NoteTab can open such files, it needs to convert them
      > to the Windows ANSI character set to display them. As a result,
      > characters not available in the ANSI character set are
      > substituted with question mark characters (?). By default,
      > NoteTab opens these file as Read-Only documents to reduce the
      > risk of data loss after character substitution. You can turn off
      > Read-Only mode through the Document menu. If you choose to edit
      > such documents in NoteTab and save the changes, the resulting
      > file will become a standard ANSI text file.

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • Han Dinh
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 21, 2008
        Dear Sherri

        Thank you for your information. I tried to check and uncheck the box "Protect Unicode file" but it makes no difference.

        I was always able to open the Unicode file and display it with the browser, so everything is good until that point.  It is when I edit and save it, some of the characrers become question marks (as you explained that that may be due to lack of certain characters). As I said ealier, this only happens on my XP computer. I have no problem of doing the same thing with the old Window Me computer..

        Han

        > I have not been able to save any Unicode file with Note Tab on my
        > new computer (Window XP). If I try to save it, the characters go
        > crazy. With the old computer (Window Me) and old Note Tab
        > version, I had no problem. Is there a conflict between Note Tab
        > /Window XP and Unicode file ? Thank you for your help. Han

        FWIW, if you search the help file you will find some info about
        Unicode files and NoteTab, including this:

        > When NoteTab opens Unicode files, it has to convert them to the
        > ANSI character set, which supports much fewer characters. As a
        > result, the conversion process may drop non-ANSI characters
        > resulting in loss of information. When the "Protect Unicode
        > Files" setting is checked (General tab in Options dialog box),
        > Unicode files are opened in Read-Only mode, which protects the
        > document from changes. If you know that your Unicode documents
        > will not loose important information during the conversion
        > process, uncheck this option so that such files are always
        > editable. You can also make a document editable by unchecking the
        > Read-Only option under the Document menu.
        >
        > Although NoteTab can open such files, it needs to convert them
        > to the Windows ANSI character set to display them. As a result,
        > characters not available in the ANSI character set are
        > substituted with question mark characters (?). By default,
        > NoteTab opens these file as Read-Only documents to reduce the
        > risk of data loss after character substitution. You can turn off
        > Read-Only mode through the Document menu. If you choose to edit
        > such documents in NoteTab and save the changes, the resulting
        > file will become a standard ANSI text file.

        Regards,
        Sheri

      • loro
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 21, 2008
          Han Dinh wrote:
          > I have no problem of doing the same thing with the old Window Me computer..

          With the same file?

          Lotta
        • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 21, 2008
            Interviewed by CNN on 21/9/2008 16:35, Han Dinh told the world:

            > I was always able to open the Unicode file and display it with the browser, so everything is good until that point. It is when I edit and save it, some of the characrers become question marks (as you explained that that may be due to lack of certain characters). As I said ealier, this only happens on my XP computer. I have no problem of doing the same thing with the old Window Me computer..

            This might have something to do with the fact that Windows Me, being a
            derivative from the Windows 95/98 code, does *not* have full support for
            Unicode.

            Marcelo
            -=-=-
            Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
            * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.11
          • Han Dinh
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 21, 2008
              Lotta

              Yes, with the very same file.
              Thanks

              Han

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 21, 2008
                Hi Marcelo

                I do NOT have problem with the old Window Me computer, only have problem with the newer computer with Window XP.

                Han

                Interviewed by CNN on 21/9/2008 16:35, Han Dinh told the world:

                > I was always able to open the Unicode file and display it with the browser, so everything is good until that point. It is when I edit and save it, some of the characrers become question marks (as you explained that that may be due to lack of certain characters). As I said ealier, this only happens on my XP computer. I have no problem of doing the same thing with the old Window Me computer..

                This might have something to do with the fact that Windows Me, being a
                derivative from the Windows 95/98 code, does *not* have full support for
                Unicode.

                Marcelo
                -=-=-
                Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
                * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.11

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 22, 2008
                  do you have the same set of fonts that your ME machine had ?
                  THANKYOU DAVE M

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 22, 2008
                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Han Dinh <dinh.han@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Marcelo
                    >
                    > I do NOT have problem with the old Window Me computer, only have
                    problem with the newer computer with Window XP.

                    > Han

                    I use XP. I tried this experiment. In my browser, I saved the web page
                    at <http://www.unicode.org/standard/translations/s-chinese.html> to a
                    file. Then I opened that file in NoteTab Pro 5.7b/fv. Viewing in
                    NoteTab, there were lots of question marks. I used the NoteTab Tools
                    menu option to View in Browser and the Chinese characters were intact.
                    Then I used File/Save As and saved to new html file name. When I again
                    did a View in Browser, the Chinese characters were replaced with
                    question marks.

                    I also tried this: I reopened the original file. Viewed in browser
                    (fine). Typed one character in the file (in NoteTab). Viewed in
                    browser (mostly question marks).

                    Since NoteTab only supports editing ANSI text files, not binary or
                    Unicode files, I don't see how it could be better in ME. But I don't
                    have that environment to check.

                    Regards,
                    Sheri
                  • Han Dinh
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 22, 2008
                      Hi Sheri

                      Yes, you described the problem EXACTLY as it happenned to me.  In my case, however, the characters are Vietnamse.

                      I have an old computer with Window Me in my basement.   I typically have the file converted to Unicode on my new computer with XP, then bring that file and edit /save on my old computer . That is the only way that I found working so far.

                      The reason I brought this up is I am tired of running between the 2 computers to edit/save the Unicode files.  And I am worried that my old computer with Me may crash and die any time soon and then I will loose that capability of editing and saving the Unicode files.

                      Thank you

                      Han

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 22, 2008
                        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Han Dinh <dinh.han@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Sheri
                        >
                        > Yes, you described the problem EXACTLY as it happenned to me.  In my
                        case, however, the characters are Vietnamse.

                        > I have an old computer with Window Me in my basement.   I typically
                        have the file converted to Unicode on my new computer with XP, then
                        bring that file and edit /save on my old computer . That is the only
                        way that I found working so far.

                        > The reason I brought this up is I am tired of running between the 2
                        computers to edit/save the Unicode files.  And I am worried that my
                        old computer with Me may crash and die any time soon and then I will
                        loose that capability of editing and saving the Unicode files.

                        > Thank you
                        >
                        > Han

                        Very odd. Is it the same version of NoteTab running on both computers?

                        I use PSPad to supplement NoteTab, you might want to try it. PSPad
                        doesn't convert my test file to ANSI when saving. I can see the HTML
                        but not the Chinese characters while it is showing in the PSPad editor
                        window. But all displays properly in the browser window before and
                        after saving in PSPad.

                        Regards,
                        Sheri
                      • Han Dinh
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 24, 2008
                          Hi Sheri

                          Yes, I agree it is very odd. I thought the 2 computers may have different version of NoteTab as you suggested but that was not the case.
                          Anyhow, I downloaded PSPad and found no problem with editing and saving the Unicode files as you said. Thank you very much.

                          Han