Poor nomenclature

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 28 12:13 PM
      I made silly mistake today.

      I 'unthinkingly' selected 'Print all...' , intending to print all pages of the active file, not only the first. I then observed that this selection apparently prints all open files.
      I really don't see what that is good for. I'm glad I didn't leave the room and return to find that all of the paper in the printer had been wasted.

      As that is what it does, it should certainly be called 'Print all (open) files' and not 'Print all...'. (The significance of the ellipsis (...) escapes me here.)

      Bruce
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 28 12:31 PM
        Hi Bruce,

        On 28 Aug 08 20:13 bruce.somers@... said:
        > The significance of the ellipsis (...) escapes me here.

        Ellipses on menus always indicate that a dialogue will open.

        However, I grant you that as the dialogues that appear on both
        Print... and Print all... are identical, that's not very helpful. The
        title bar of each should at least give you a warning that you've
        chosen a potentially very expensive option.

        Greg