Re: [NTB] Re: Clicking on Help topic crashes NTB under Vista

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 15, 2008
      I don't know if this was among the things you tried, but you can right
      click the chm help file in Explorer and see if there is an option to
      Unblock it.

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 15, 2008
        Hi, I run 2 PCs. They both run Windows Vista Business with Service
        Pack 1 applied.

        Installed is:

        - firefox 3.0.1
        - Notetab Light 5.7b eval version
        - Notetab Pro 5.7b paid version

        Launching Notetab light 5.7b and selecting the first 4 options under
        help launch the help files with no errors. Help/Order launches Firefox
        and loads the web page.

        Here's what I would do if I were in your situation:

        - install Vista Service Pack 1 if not already installed.
        - Uninstall Notetab light
        - Install & run CCleaner; run the registry cleaner component
        - Reinstall Notetab light

        If you still get the error: the dialog box has a 'more information'
        arrow. Click on it to see what module is crashing; this information
        may be useful to the Notetab developer(s).

        Happy Notetabbing :)

        Jim
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "cosmya" <collier.smith@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > Program (the only choice provided) and the program ends.
        >
        > 2) I click on Help, Order ... and get:
        > "Would you like to connect to the NoteTab Order form on the Web?..."
        > If I pick "NO" the program crashes with the message in 1) above. If I
        > pick "YES" I get: "C:\...\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -- Windows
        > cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have
        > the appropriate permissions to access the item." Clicking "OK" closes
        > the error box but does NOT crash/close NTb, which continues to run.
        >
        > 3) I click on Help, Check for Updates and get: "Fookes software News
        > and Updates -- ...Connecting to news server..." and then "Information
        > -- News server not accessible! Previous news displayed. Try connecting
        > again later". Clicking "OK" and closing the "Fookes..." pane gets me
        > back to NTb, which continues to run.
        >
        > 4) I click on Help, Show Tip... or Glossary or Outline Tutorial or
        > Readme or What's New or About, and they all work fine. "Help, Open in
        > MS Notepad" does not seem to have any action at all. No idea what that
        > command is supposed to do.
        >
        > I looked at the article you cite:
        > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892675/en-us, but it seems to pertain
        > to pre-Vista versions only. In any case, I looked at the list of
        > installed updates on my machine, and the two updates in question are
        > not on my machine.
        >
        > Here's a new thought: My version of NTb Light is brand new. It has
        > certain "Trial Features" enabled for a 30-day period (7 days left
        > now). There is no list of which features will go away in a week, but
        > is there some chance that the trial version I am now using might be at
        > issue here? And maybe if I just wait another week, it will fix itself
        > (or I will be able to download a non-trial Light version that won't
        > have these problems)?
        >
        > Or maybe I should just go ahead and download the Standard version and
        > see if it works OK? (I have already spent far more in wasted time
        > trying to fix this version than the Std version costs, if I value my
        > time at over $5/hr.)
        >
        > I continue to be grateful for your time and ideas....
        > -Collier
        >
        > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "lm_hamilton" <lmh@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Without an error message that gives more clues I am having no success
        > > in finding a solution that matches your problem on
        > support.microsoft.com.
        > >
        > > I did find this article that may offer some insight, but no
        > guarantee ;-)

        > > Larry Hamilton
        > >
        > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "cosmya" <collier.smith@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Thanks again for the suggestions.
        > > > I turned off both my firewall (Comodo v.3.0.25.378) and my
        anti-virus
        > > > Avira Personal (continuously updated, version unknown), and tried to
        > > > use NTb to access the internet, and to view the Help files, but
        > > > neither works. Gave the same results as when the security was at

      • cosmya
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 15, 2008
          This may be the last posting I will need to make on this topic.

          I uninstalled the NTb Light Trial version that was giving all the
          problems under Vista, and downloaded and installed the NTb Std Trial
          version.

          All of the problems went away, and Help runs perfectly now.

          So, it would appear that there is some [bug/issue/problem/whatever]
          with the NTbLTrial version under Vista, that does not exist in the Std
          version.

          Again, thanks to all who offered help and suggestions.

          -Collier